No Parachute. Just Power.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Guest GroundHOG-2010

This is a challenge, using only stock parts. You must orbit the earth once and land under rocket power only (no lander legs, no mods what so ever). I have done it so it must be possible. Bonus points for landing only using SRB\'s.

^ Second, it\'s too easy because all you have to do is wait until you reach terminal velocity, which is like 140 m/s for a command module, tank, and engine.

All you have to do is immediately throttle up the thrust at 1 km.

Infact, getting into orbit would be harder, and even that is easy :D

^ Second, it\'s too easy because all you have to do is wait until you reach terminal velocity, which is like 140 m/s for a command module, tank, and engine.

All you have to do is immediately throttle up the thrust at 1 km.

Infact, getting into orbit would be harder, and even that is easy :D

Doing a SFB-only landing from orbit is not easy.

With the new ground physics in 0.11X1, you\'ll have a demmevil time to land without parachutes. 1m/s landing under power=Catastrophic Failure!

Flying bricks is my specialty 8)

Below are the results of my SRB 'landing' (more like splashdown) tests on 0.11 x1.

Make no mistake, landing only with SRBs is HARD on 0.11 (not that it was easy on 0.10...). I would probably take a few de-orbits to properly land one of those, but it\'s doable...

Read it again, I was talking about his comment on the challenge in this thread.

but yes, it can be easy to use SRB\'s to land, with good timing and percision that is ;)

I may have misunderstood you, but I repeat, a SFB-only landing is not easy, even when you know how. It is even trickier trying to do one post-reentry, and putting a SFB-only lander into orbit with just SFBs is quite a challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.