Your first planet

SpaceshipFood

Eve, back in the time where phase angles needed to be calculated with a protractor and there were no unmanned missions. I bet those bill/jeb/bob clones are still somewhere in eve but in a parallel universe.

Lol! For me it was duna. It was a hard-fought victory, as I had no Idea what I was doing!

Kerbin is pretty much the only planet I've ever "gotten" to. In a tragic accident, Orbital Station Barclay accidentally hit Eve while orbiting Kerbol (the sun), but I don't think that counts.

I'm working on getting Rovers to Mun and Eve.

EDIT - By gotten to, I'm actually being slightly serious. I've gone all the way arround it three times, polar once and equatorial twice, and once made a space station that could launch rockets back down to KSC.

Edited by OneRedBlock

I planned to go to Eve first but because http://ksp.olex.biz/ incorrectly told me to start from a retro orbit I could not get a intercept with it.. So it became Duna instead and my first mission went very well. I only managed to get myself into a polar orbit but it was enough to land a probe lander on my first try.

I'm assuming you mean no Kerbin moons. If that's the case, my first encounter with anything outside of the Kerbin system was crashing a probe into Laythe (does it count as crashing into if you just didn't bring enough propellent to get out of the way? If anything I should be suing Laythe for rear-ending my probe). Next was a probe around Jool. Then a mapping mission to Duna, followed by a manned mission to Duna. I now have a large mapping/rover/manned ship orbiting the Jool system, but I got a little bored with it.

Duna. I tried escaping Kerbin with my quite overpowered mun lander. Got the idea to go to duna and by pure luck the phase angles were pretty good, so I needed just a little bit of thrust to get an intercept. Unfortunately the landing legs sat on external tanks that I have ditched...

Went quite well anyway, I managed to land without them. :)

Those three kerbals never got home though...

With the release of 0.17, Duna was the most likely candidate, although first time round it wasn't much of a landing. The engineers (I...) forgot to put parachutes on the main ship, plus fuel was out (aerobraking was a foreign concept to me at this point...), so all that was left to do was eject the capsule, which had it's own 'chutes. Needless to say, Wilgan Kerman was very lonely all of the sudden...

Mine was also Duna, with a larger version of my Mun rescue rocket.

It was a messy trip, but they made it. I needed to send a second rocket to give them a way home though.

My first successful landing of any kind was on Duna. Yes, before Mun or Minmus, although I'd had a failed Mun landing previously (RIP Bill). I was trying for Minmus, couldn't get the orbits to line up without Mun interfering, so I figured, why not try for Ike instead? Then I screwed that up as well, and ended up on Duna (and that was a rocket landing, no parachutes, because I didn't know you could repack and was saving them for the return trip). The amazing thing was that I got Jeb back to Kerbin in one piece, without a rescue mission; his rocket had no fuel and only seven units of monoprop remaining when he landed near the crater, but it worked.

Eve's the easiest planet to land on, by far. The atmosphere is so thick that terminal velocity for any vessel is only ~60m/s, which makes it really easy to land with parachutes or small wings. The problem isn't getting there, though, it's getting home afterwards, so don't send a Kerbonaut unless you know you've got a way off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.