Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

Nice to see a realistic depiction of microgravity, though I'm not sure what she expected to happen when she disconnected herself from the canadarm - that's just gonna make it fling you farther off into space...

And, I'll second lobsterbark's question. Although, maybe it happened after the fact (but if that were the case, how would they deorbit all of the 500 chunks of it that it was implied there were from the earlier clip.

Still, might be nice to see some at least semi-realistic destruction in space for once! The soyuz parachute tangled around stuff was a neat touch.

I'm guessing they may be implying that the explosion is what is de-orbiting it.

That's a lot of Delta-V in one quick burst, but I'm willing to accept it in a movie plot.

But that's only a 90 second clip of a larger story, so well see.

Edited by Tommygun

Yeah, I'm wondering how well the whole "hit by debris" plotline can be made to last two hours. Though, the teaser gives next to no info, just a couple pretty shots of things exploding (as teasers usually are)

Yeah, I'm wondering how well the whole "hit by debris" plotline can be made to last two hours. Though, the teaser gives next to no info, just a couple pretty shots of things exploding (as teasers usually are)

I can't see this movie going down well with alot of people here lol, it look's a bit too hollywood. Their suits would have been torn open surely with all that debris.

I have one question for the smart people here, when all that debris breaks up - would it really shoot off in all different directions like that? or would it just all keep following the orbital curve its on?

Just saw the trailer. Looks promising. Any idea of other space themed movie (except Apollo 13 which I had seen about 10 times ^^) ?

Sunshine, but don't watch the trailer, it spoils the movie.

Europa Report and Elysium also come out this summer. Not sure how spacey Elysium is going to be though.

I have one question for the smart people here, when all that debris breaks up - would it really shoot off in all different directions like that? or would it just all keep following the orbital curve its on?

Depends on your perspective. If you're traveling at roughly the same relative velocity, you'll see it just expand in a roughly spherical pattern. But, in reality, all the pieces have been nudged onto slightly different orbits that happen to take them in those directions from your perspective.

I am already seeing thousands of science-nerds all around the world typing and comparing lists of factual errors, nitpicking every detail and writing angry blog posts and emails to the producers while totally forgetting that they are watching a movie made to entertain, not a documentary.

Sunshine, but don't watch the trailer, it spoils the movie.

Europa Report and Elysium also come out this summer. Not sure how spacey Elysium is going to be though.

Europa Report sounds like a neat movie if Europa is one your favorite Moons:)

I believe the same thing happened with Sunshine. Despite it having almost no scientific grounding, it was still a great film IMO. But, a lot of people denounced it because of the scientific errors.

I also liked that movie a lot.

It seemed a good number of people went to it expecting it to be the next Even Horizon and it wasn't that kind of movie, which left them disappointed.

I'm looking forward to Gravity, if nothing else it's something different, at least it is not another romantic comedy.

As long as they can keep it reasonably realistic, it doesn't have to be a NASA training film.

Edited by Tommygun

I'm guessing they may be implying that the explosion is what is de-orbiting it.

That's a lot of Delta-V in one quick burst, but I'm willing to accept it in a movie plot.

But that's only a 90 second clip of a larger story, so well see.

Exactly this, it's a movie. Movies need to appeal to the masses, not the intelligent people who sit there and correct to themselves every mistake this movie is making.

That said, I may go see it in theaters.

As long as they can keep it reasonably realistic, it doesn't have to be a NASA training film.

Wasn't Deep Impact or something like that also a NASA training film, and employees spotted the scientific errors?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.