Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

Question: Arn't the Soyuz parachutes inside the pressure capsule and does not the capsule depressurize or at least can no long hold atmosphere when the parachutes are ejected?

No, I don't think so, the chutes are inside a separate compartment or 'blister' over the capsule, the Soyuz is very robust and can land in very tough conditions; in one instance, Soyuz 23 the capsule landed over a frozen lake and sank (the parachutes filled with water and pulled it down) the capsule remained air-tight and the cosmonauts were rescued after several hours.

Edited by Tech Support
Grammar and spelling

Weeeelllll, I finally got to go see it with friends. And other than all the stations being so close to each other, that was so cool! The music really messes with your head, and I'm currently deorbiting my space stations in KSP. Because reasons.

Saw it last night; the story is rather small but the suspension is felt throughout most of the movie. While there are some incaccuracies (probably not all noted by me as my knowledge of space-related stuff isn't that great) the movie 'feels' very realistic, most because of the fact the chaos in space happens without sound. Acting, Visuals, filming ... all is very well done. Almost a must-see for those interested in space.

Gotta say by the way Sandra Bullock looks pretty good for someone approaching her 50's ... !

I saw it 2 times, never get bored...

Honestly I couldn't move, It was as if I was on a roller coaster, and in some moments like on a funeral(all 600~ people would stop eating their popcorn at the same time).

Yes there were quite a few inaccuracies, but I forgive this movie.

I rather liked the film.

I also liked the realism it exhibited. most of what is shown is definetly realistic, but sometimes the film magic takes over to increase the enjoyment (like how stations are incredibly close together in orbit).

I like these kinds of films that are realistic and still enjoyable. Films like Apollo 13, Moon, 2001: A Space Oddysey and its sequel, 2010 are great examples of realistic yet enjoyable films based in space.

Finally saw it, and it was awesome.

I was surprised how much they used colliding into things as a means to stop themselves-not sure if that was realistic. But then, there were a number of little inaccuracies.

But, putting those aside, it was fantastic, especially the scenes where she was climbing over the space station. They made it clear just how hard it is to move about in "zero gravity". Every Kerbal we launch comes with a (currently) free 500m/s of delta V. without that, any time an astronaut leaves the station could be a disaster.

They also very tough- they'll jump of a building, then bounce. They don't have to worry about reentry heat, or running out of oxygen.

This move reminds you just how hard doing things in space really is. Kudos to all real life astronauts out there.

This is awesome, people keep making these hilarious videos. You must see this. :D

Not a bad movie, however im going to make a video using KSP to show how clooney drifts off is total rubbish, he had stopped at the end of the tether, therefore he wouldn't drift off when he detached himself! lol

It's not total rubbish, it's one of the most scientifically accurate moments in the movie.

-snip

It's not total rubbish, it's one of the most scientifically accurate moments in the movie.

What mean you? It was the least scientific part of it. When the tether went tight, it would've stopped Clooney's momentum and possibly even brought him back in towards Bullock. I think they only added that part to make it more intense for the viewer for them to know that Bullock's last chance had died.

P.S. Spoiler alert.

P.P.S. Neil deGrasse Tyson even pointed it out, plus several more. It's number 3.

Yeah, I agree that the whole George Clooney's character being pulled away doesn't make physical sense.

You could change it just a bit to make it physically correct. After their multiple collisions and attempts to slow themselves down, the characters manage to get a hold of each other (tethered to each other, for instance) but they're still drifting at a few meters per second. Bullock's character's legs gets entangled in the chute's ropes, but she's still not being held by them (they're still not taut). Clooney's character realizes that when they reach the end of the ropes, their combined mass will be too much and she won't be able to stop them both. So despite Bullock's character insistence, he detaches in order to save her.

To fix the pull-away scene, they should have made the entire contraption (the station+the chutes+them) rotate.

This will put a constant tension on the chute lines, and Clooney will fly away when released.

Other than that: Great movie! Very immersive, lots and lots of scientific accuracies!

What mean you? It was the least scientific part of it. When the tether went tight, it would've stopped Clooney's momentum and possibly even brought him back in towards Bullock. I think they only added that part to make it more intense for the viewer for them to know that Bullock's last chance had died.

P.S. Spoiler alert.

P.P.S. Neil deGrasse Tyson even pointed it out, plus several more. It's number 3.

Just because deGrasse says it, doesn't make it true. Stone was on a circular trajectory and Kowalski was on a linear trajectory. They lost a grip on their fingers and later Stone grabbed the tether. That never stopped the circular motion. What are the chances of a complete halt relative to the Soyuz? Zero. You can never come to a complete stop, there's always some motion.

Complete cancellation of momentum happens in mathematical models where vectors are perfectly aligned and have perfect values. Not in real world.

It would be like expecting two real steel spheres colliding in weightless environment inside a reference system and staying perfectly motionless in any direction. It's won't happen because it's real world, not a simulation.

They were left in a circular trajectory with a very small angular speed, which is, given the huge distance from the Soyuz enough to induce a considerable centrifugal force. And you can actually see they're still moving when you see Kowalski and the stars behind him.

I baffles me how many people fail to realize this. It's obvious to the point I'm facepalming at some of the comments here. This is basic Newtonian physics.

was I the only person who wondered why she didn't use the reaction thrusters of the Soyuz to thrust towards the Chinese station (before she remembered the landing retros), and why when they are space walking to the iss that colony keeps thrusting, as if something where slowing him down.

People are getting so damn creative. In the last week we had a woman being unable to park a vehicle in Paris, and now we've got one lost in IKEA.

Awesome idea, although they could've put more effort in it. I like the woman in Paris better. :)

Here's Finding Nemo Gravity mashup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va9qwxoFUsc

Oh, and there was some gift giving lately.

was I the only person who wondered why she didn't use the reaction thrusters of the Soyuz to thrust towards the Chinese station (before she remembered the landing retros), and why when they are space walking to the iss that colony keeps thrusting, as if something where slowing him down.

You weren't. I guess Cuarón thought it would not be enough to reach the station in time before she loses supplies of air in the craft, but I agree, it's a hole in the plot. Those thrusters have enough delta-v (ignoring the known problems of this movie's orbital mechanics, obviously).

Kowalski was not thrusting all the time. He was correcting his trajectory now and then. After all, it was a long shot (200 km?) and he was tethered to Stone and that causes problems which were obvious each time he was starting to move.

Edited by lajoswinkler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION! VIP( VERY IMPORTANT POST!)

ABOUT THAT SCENE WHERE KOWALSKI LET'S GO!

Okay so many people were wining about how inaccurate that scene was. Wveryone thought that Sandra nulled out the speed and that just a slight tug could bring Kowalsi to her. That is WRONG.

After re-watching the scene carefully every time you will notice when she tries tugging, the ropes come loose more and they always kept sliding off since the very beginning. We get a wide shot of the whole thing and then, if you pay attention, they are both still moving. She never stopped Kowalski fully, she just slowed him down a bit and was still being pulled by him. The scene actually turned out to be accurate, despite my first impression. Well, seeing it 3 times actually helped study it more! Hope I unclouded some clouded minds here....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.