Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

I think what you just listed as inaccuracies ruin it for me. I won't be able to enjoy the movie at all. That and the annoying screaming from the actress Whatsername.

Some further reading of spoiler posts (notably: Hayoo) lists even more annoying stuff. How can you enjoy seeing this movie while you could spend your precious time at home playing KSS?

I also smell this is another awkward pro-USA anti-china anti-russia movie. In spite of the humiliating space shuttle saga... Please tell me I'm wrong, though.

Wow,someone has been taking bitchy pills. Chill out, man. The movie might be the most scientifically accurate movie of all times.

It's not pro-USA, it's not anti-China and anti-Russia. I saw absolutely nothing that would be pro or anti anything. It's very PC about those things.

Just go to the cinema and watch the damn movie. It's time well spent compared to one more day at the computer screen, playing KSP.

I've merged the two active threads we had about this movie.

Haven't yet gone to see it myself, but I might check it out. I tend to wait on new movies till they come out on DVD.

Odin, this movie deserves your viewing in the big screen. Well worth my money. My only regret is that we didn't have time to go to the IMAX to see it in 3D.

I will be getting this in blu ray when it comes out.

I think what you just listed as inaccuracies ruin it for me. I won't be able to enjoy the movie at all. That and the annoying screaming from the actress Whatsername.

Some further reading of spoiler posts (notably: Hayoo) lists even more annoying stuff. How can you enjoy seeing this movie while you could spend your precious time at home playing KSS?

I also smell this is another awkward pro-USA anti-china anti-russia movie. In spite of the humiliating space shuttle saga... Please tell me I'm wrong, though.

Screaming? Lots of gasps and some moans but no screaming.

as for your last statement... I didn't get that at all. But you'll get out of it what you want I guess. I wanted entertainment. I got that in spades. Could I pick it apart? Of course, but I don't go to the movies to do that.

Screaming? Lots of gasps and some moans but no screaming.

as for your last statement... I didn't get that at all. But you'll get out of it what you want I guess. I wanted entertainment. I got that in spades. Could I pick it apart? Of course, but I don't go to the movies to do that.

My last statement is about the background noise on most hollywood movies. But I guess after a while, people get used to it. It was wrong of me to speculate though, just by reading the plot and spoilers. Still, the fact the space shuttle is used in the movie is a bit strange, no?

Your positive comments means now I have to watch it anyway. Waiting for the dvd.

no director but Ron Howard with Apollo 13 has ever worked so hard to get "space" right.

^ This.

Despite the inaccuracies it might have (many of which only orbital mechanics geeks like us would pick up), I think the movie is still fantastic. Most of the inaccuracies are relatively minor in the sense that it's just something unlikely rather than physically impossible, and I think they can be considered artistic license in this case. What's absolutely superb is the cinematography: the way they've depicted weightlessness and the environment of space. Simply superb. Add to that the extraordinary visuals (jeez, the Sun ... I remember a shot where the Sun is in the background in all its glory not diminished by an atmosphere and I still get goosebumps), that the acting is solid, that the musical score is great ... and you'll quickly forget about whether the orbit of the debris cloud is realistic or not.

I highly recommend the movie.

I just watched the movie. As many said, the orbital mechanics are rubbish, but by reading this thread I already knew it. I decided to try to ignore and just focus on the other parts of the film. What astounded me the most was the use if an Orlan spacesuit. It really showed that there was research done by the makers.

As a last thing: Apollo 13 is still the best space flight movie.

I just watched the movie. As many said, the orbital mechanics are rubbish, but by reading this thread I already knew it. I decided to try to ignore and just focus on the other parts of the film. What astounded me the most was the use if an Orlan spacesuit. It really showed that there was research done by the makers.

As a last thing: Apollo 13 is still the best space flight movie.

Cuarón stated in an interview that an early draft of the script did try to work with the fact the HST, ISS, and Tiangong were in different orbits in reality, but it ended up with half the movie being the characters explaining orbital mechanics,so the decision was made to put them all in the same orbit for plot convenience.

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Gravity

Think about it this way - it's the ONLY way for a normal citizen (not a space geek like us) to actually see or even heard about Soyuz, Shenzhou or Tiangog. For me, seeing Soyuz flying in space in the glory of IMAX 3D was simply awesome :) This movie will popularize space for some time, no doubt about it - I expect some rise in a number of KSP copies sold within next few weeks. And I may be wrong but this was the first movie to show spacecraft and equipment other than American in space (okay, there was Mir in "Armageddon" but come in, its "Armageddon".

I just realized, I forgot to say that I actually liked the movie. What I wanted to express with my statement about the Orlan space suit is not that it was a bad movie, but rather that it was pretty accurate concerning the use of technology.

When the Soyuz' hatch opened I really hoped she would were an Orlan suit for her EVA, as she didn't have acces to any other suit. Most blockbusters would just have ignored the existence of different types of spacesuits.

You are wrong completely and have spoiled this awesome movie for yourself. The Soyuz and Chinese space station saved Dr Stone's life, and having a weak character be the main character is-although unrealistic-not annoying or a bad choice. If it were Clooney's character it wouldn't have been nearly so suspenseful.

I saw it in 3D last Sunday, the inaccuracies didn't bother me that much, except for the part that I was probably the only one in the theater (of 10 people) that actually knew what couldn't happen. Heck, I am just happy to watch a somewhat realistic movie that I can bear to watch that's less than 5 years old.

Watched it last night ...

while there surely were lots of simplifications or incorrectnesses (most of them added deliberately in order not to confuse average users (or first have to give them a lecture in orbital mechanics) and make the films setting possible (after all, if Cuaron had used the real orbital inclinations, the movie would have been short ... either ending with the shuttle not being hit, or Sandra and George both perishing in space, unable to reach any space station due to the different orbital inclination :D ))

the movie surely is the best modern movie with a (more or less) correct display of the condition s in space, that was made during the last decade (and surely will keep this rank for a long time afterwards)

It also successfully manages to show its viewers the beauties of space (like sunrise/-down in orbit or the beautiful starscape).

IMHO definitely a movie that everyone should atch, who is interested in space (or wants to become interested :D )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.