Orion aka "Ol' Boom-boom"

nyrath

You can download it from the git hub

https://github.com/cerebrate/USAFOrion/releases

Crap, he fixed it ages back for 1.0, then KSP changed temperature again.

I've forked, and suggested a fix. Not sure what the delay might be, but I'd rather not create new copies on the net for this if I can help it, so I'm going to give him a bit of time to compile and make that available. Otherwise I'll upload my compile somewhere more permanent.

But, https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh1kmluvmty5rxe/USAFOrion.zip?dl=0

Very briefly tested. Going to have to fix up my Orion bits n bobs now.

totos_totidis said:
well could you also release the updated configs and/or the complete pakage.

Like USAFOrionMod-TD-subedition?

Needs some massive tidy up work on my textures. There's several versions of all of them and I don't know which I can delete without going back to Unity. but that edition does work, even if it means downlading a version with lots of files that won't be in use.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

But the right click menu to kill nukes, is not functional

The Game crashed, here is the log https://copy.com/81ZPSZWBZOdqr8fU

The right click menu (in USAFOrion) hasn't worked since 0.9. You can create action groups as a work around. I normally scale them up, 1 for 0.88, 2 for 3.5 etc, usually with a final one to shut off all nukes as a safety thing.

Yes, I will be looking at why the right click menu doesn't work. I suspect the menu links or onEvent type triggers are old editions. But for the moment they don't work.

what about the crash?

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=8665 w=2560 h=1600 mips=1 d3dfmt=21 [out of memory]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FNPlugin.MicrowaveSources.calculateTransmitters () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Looks like a fairly typical out of memory issue. As I said, my Orions need a lot of tidy up regarding textures.

Try running in opengl mode, or use the updated DLL with Nyrath's parts.

It may also just be triggered by the MicrowaveSources plugin if that was recently added. But it's probably just the poor sucker mod that tries to do something after the 32 bit memory pool is exhausted.

Microwavesources is ksp interstellar extended and also open gl lags a lot on my pc for some reason,

Best bet then would be grabbing the original mod from the beginning of this topic, and just adding the new dll. The only difference will be some pretties. And I'm not sure everyone wants those pretties.

Will that break existing craft?

Sort of. My parts have different names, so installing Nyrath's mod won't change the parts to his. Removing mine will break craft you've used my parts on. But without removing my parts, you won't get back the RAM needed to stop crashing.

I will be tidying up my textures, but my next release will probably be a half scale Orion, to bring it in line with my Nexus mod, the FASA mod and so on. Real world rockets just don't fit in the Hangers, and Kerbals are short.

- - - Updated - - -

The wikipedia page mentions "payload to moon - soft landing ", how is it actually possible to do a soft-landing with this thing?

Carefully.

Actually, some of the designs (those intended to land) had landing rockets. So you get a few klicks off the surface with Orion drive and then switch over to traditional rocket engines.

OK, here's Nyrath's original version, updated to KSP v1.0.4. So, updated DLL, and attach nodes with directional vectors. No other changes.

Nyrath's USAFOrion

This should be much lighter on RAM than my edition.

It's also almost in NetKan/CKAN.

Edited by Snark

TiktaalikDreaming said:
OK, here's Nyrath's original version, updated to KSP v1.0.4. So, updated DLL, and attach nodes with directional vectors. No other changes.

Downloading now

- - - Updated - - -

blackrack said:
The wikipedia page mentions "payload to moon - soft landing ", how is it actually possible to do a soft-landing with this thing?

Sure, you've got a massive shock absorber on the base of it

TiktaalikDreaming said:

I just downloaded this and tried it but none of the parts showed up in my game, any ideas on the cause? No crashes or anything.

I suggest you create a new development post with some fresh pictures

Like http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112077-TD-Industries-Orion-bits-Alpha ?

- - - Updated - - -

I just downloaded this and tried it but none of the parts showed up in my game, any ideas on the cause? No crashes or anything.

Can you check the files you installed? In GameData there should be a Nyrath folder, then Parts, then Orion, then Engines, and Magazines.

Within the Engines and magazines folders are the parts, check they have a cfg file and a mu file each. When unpacking, it's just the Nyrath folder you need, not the source or extras, although I doubt the game will do anything with those.

Note; there's no handy manufacturer thing, and all the engines show towards the end of the fuel tank list.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

Can you check the files you installed? In GameData there should be a Nyrath folder, then Parts, then Orion, then Engines, and Magazines.

Within the Engines and magazines folders are the parts, check they have a cfg file and a mu file each. When unpacking, it's just the Nyrath folder you need, not the source or extras, although I doubt the game will do anything with those.

Note; there's no handy manufacturer thing, and all the engines show towards the end of the fuel tank list.

I've checked the files installed and all the files are there and I haven't accidentally copied the source or extra folders.

I looked through all my parts in the VAB (in sandbox) and I couldn't see them.

I do have a range of other mods installed, two that I can see that might have a possibility of causing problems are Filter Extensions (making the parts not show somehow), and Community Tech Tree (thinking that the parts aren't unlocked or something).

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

I just tried downloading the mod again and running it on a stock install, but the parts still didn't show up in game.

I did have a look at the crash log though and found some things that might help.

The first error I can see to do with the mod is this:

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'USAFOrion': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'BombXferWindow' from assembly 'USAFOrion, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'XferDialog' from assembly 'USAFOrion, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'USAFOrion.ModuleWindow`1' from assembly 'USAFOrion, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UIStatus' from assembly 'USAFOrion, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Then the log goes on to load all the textures and parts ok.

Then I get this error for each of the parts (I'm only showing one to avoid a wall of text):

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Nyrath/Parts/Orion/Engines/USAFOrion3Engine/part/USAFOrion3Engine'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

PartCompiler: Cannot find Part of type 'OrionPusherPlate'

PartCompiler: Error parsing config

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

I hope this helps you. Let me know if I need to do or try anything else.

Falcon Coupe said:

I had the same problem.

When I looked into the archive at Nyrath'sUSAFOrion, I noticed that there are two dlls inside: USAFOrion.dll and TacLibGUI.dll.

However the archive at USAFOrionMod-TD-subedition contains an additional dll, TacLib.dll.

When I copied it into GameData\Nyrath\, the parts appeared.

Edited by Snark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.