The Missile/Torpedo Workshop

Key:

- Joint piercing, Can separate entire sections of ships if hit at certain of the joints on the target ship.

- Armour piercing, Can punch straight through a ship's armour.

- Blunt or Piercing, if the top is pointy or flat.

- Effective range, [range here], Shows how far the missile / torpedo can travel before it is rendered ineffective.

- Effective gravity, [high/low gravity or zero gravity], Shows what gravity it is intended to work in.

- Deployed on [plane, ship or carrier-deployed ship], Shows what the missile / torpedo is intended to be launched from.

- Independently controlled, Can be controlled after it has been launched.

- Dock-able, Can be docked onto a ship to be used as ammunition at a later date.

- Single payload, A single missile / torpedo with no extra projectiles.

- Flechette, Fires multiple small parts from the missile / torpedo at the target ship.

- Small, About the width of the Oscar-B Fuel Tank.

- Large, About the width of the FL-T200 Fuel Tank.

- Huge, About the width of the Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank.

--- KLAW Torpedo

Picture:

kspklaw.jpg

Features:

- Joint piercing (If the Communotron 16s are deploy and are lodged into a joint).

- Armour piercing (If hit at 1KM- ).

- Piercing.

- Effective range, 1-2 KM (Still effective at 2-6 KM but suffers from damage drop-off).

- Effective gravity, Zero Gravity.

- Deployed on carrier-deployed ship.

- Dock-able. (Not dock-able at the tip if the Communotron 16s have been deployed)

- Single payload.

- Small.

Download

--- PUNCH Torpedo

Picture:

punchksp.jpg

Features:

- Armour piercing.

- Blunt.

- Effective range, 500M - 1 KM (Still effective at 1-10 KM but suffers from damage drop-off).

- Effective gravity, Zero gravity.

- Deployed on carrier-deployed ship.

- Dock-able.

- Single payload.

- Small.

Download

Template:

Name: [the name for your missile / torpedo].

Picture: [picture of missile / torpedo].

Features: [list of things included in the key that apply to your missile / torpedo].

Download: [self explanatory].

Share your doers of destruction using the template!!!

Edited by Warior135

ground testing of my radially attached unguided rockets:

rNDP8b6.jpg

basically an octagonal strut with two sepratrons, each one of those babies has some 2300 m/s in vacuum: a 2.5m wide tank fits eight of them through small docking ports.

Qk52Uda.jpg

comes also in an airplane-deployable version.

Two-stage ground-based mobile-launched missiles. Still needs improvement, though

*snip*

*snip*

ground testing of my radially attached unguided rockets:

*snip*

basically an octagonal strut with two sepratrons, each one of those babies has some 2300 m/s in vacuum: a 2.5m wide tank fits eight of them through small docking ports.

*snip*

comes also in an airplane-deployable version.

Can you please put a features list so people know what it can do? :D

Well, this is a good idea. Still have to come up with good weapons myself, I think I only have the smart missiles perfected.

Rune. Is showing his bad side today ;)

Well, this is a good idea. Still have to come up with good weapons myself, I think I only have the smart missiles perfected.

Rune. Is showing his bad side today ;)

A tip for dock-able torpedoes is to build your main propulsion on the inside of it so you have less space taken up and to have action groups that triggers everything at the same time.

I'll post my carrier anti-fighter scatter-shot battery when I get home. Many many parts but its worth it ;)

Effective Range 2km in vacuum, have only fired it at orange tanks so don't know if it is armor piercing.. Probably not however. Small fighters are rarely armored.

It's fired using staging not action groups, because it has 64 rounds.

Individual projectiles not reloadable the entire drum needs to be changed once it is expended.

I'll post my carrier anti-fighter scatter-shot battery when I get home. Many many parts but its worth it ;)

Effective Range 2km in vacuum, have only fired it at orange tanks so don't know if it is armor piercing.. Probably not however. Small fighters are rarely armored.

It's fired using staging not action groups, because it has 64 rounds.

Individual projectiles not reloadable the entire drum needs to be changed once it is expended.

So that would come under the flechette tag or does it fire full payloads?

For your radial unguided rockets, try putting two sepatrons opposite each other angled in a corkscrew. This induces a spin a guarantees accuracy in space. With only two sepatrons even a .5 degree twist in flight will result in an out of control missile.

It fires them 8 at a time. Sepratron missiles mounted radially pointed along the hull. 8 stacks of 8, 4 sepratrons each, 2 cubic struts, and a stack decoupler. 448 parts Just in the projectiles, not counting the magazine.

I haven't done this yet but planning on mounting it on a rototron and large hinge, and using the lazier docking cam for targeting!

I actually already have a picture of it bare in the VAB uploaded

torps.jpg

Oh and also, it apparently has 80 shots not 64.. So.. Most people wouldn't want to try to equip it :)

Most of my testing was just firing them vertically off the launch pad watching their altitude then watching the 8point star pattern explode around me as they fell down.

Edited by HoY

For your radial unguided rockets, try putting two sepatrons opposite each other angled in a corkscrew. This induces a spin a guarantees accuracy in space. With only two sepatrons even a .5 degree twist in flight will result in an out of control missile.

Also, he could put a communotron 16 on the end and extended it- if he hit a ship's joints with it, it would go through like butter :3

Here's my Hyper Velocity Weapon System, or HVWS:

E6PNeyX.jpg

The projectile launches at 2500 m/s - a little too fast for the game.

FlkhUvU.jpg

It was originally intended to be used in orbit, but the projectile flies so fast that it just goes through its target and flies out of the draw range before doing any damage.

On the ground though, it can destroy any vehicle without even touching them!

Features:

- Joint piercing, Can separate entire sections of ships if hit at certain of the joints on the target ship.

- Super Joint piercing, Destroys all joints in one hit :cool:

- Armour piercing, Can punch straight through a ship's armour.

- Effective range: about 2.5 km

- Effective gravity: High

- Deployed on Fixed stand or Rover

- Single payload, A single missile / torpedo with no extra projectiles.

- Small, About the width of the Oscar-B Fuel Tank.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Trialing the Kubla I bomber and the Finch guided bomb on a Zokesia PzIV.

pC5mDnL.jpg

i7UtD4H.jpg

qkSrpDq.jpg

LjylLxU.jpg

Mwahahahaha. It actually barely scratched the armour-plating - in atmosphere velocities are low and armour is incredibly strong. It did knock off a few plates at the rear, damage some of the internal radioscopes, pop almost of the wheels on that side and knock off some batteries and things.

Edit:

- Piercing.

- Effective range: Est 20km when launched from 10km altitude at 200m/s

- Effective gravity: Only test in atmosphere, would almost certainly work in zero-g, however.

- Deployed on bomber aircraft

- Not able to dock.

- Single, medium payload.

Download (with Kubla I bomber, still in testing)

Edited by SecondGuessing

Trialing the Kubla I bomber and the Finch guided bomb on a Zokesia PzIV.

Mwahahahaha. It actually barely scratched the armour-plating - in atmosphere velocities are low and armour is incredibly strong. It did knock off a few plates at the rear, damage some of the internal radioscopes, pop almost of the wheels on that side and knock off some batteries and things.

EDIT: Thanks :D

Edited by Warior135

Trials of my current orbit to orbit missile, the Chironex. No download as of yet as I'm still ironing out some bugs with the launcher of the craft that fires it, but I'll upload one soon.

Bxubx58.png

Jq0m3fi.png

Launched from orbital weapons platform in 250km orbit, weapon decreased own orbit in order to impact the target in a 200/150km eccentric orbit, Impacted target at around 160m/s (it took a number of goes and I didn't reset the target for all of them, so no screenshots of statistics). Completely separated target into pieces, destroyed fuel tank completely as far as I can tell. The debris was instantly 20km away. :D

Chironex Torpedo Drone

- Joint separating and armor piercing.

- Piercing warhead

- Effective range: Managed to lower own orbit by 50km using less than a quarter of its mono-propellant reserves.

- Effective gravity: Only works in zero-gs.

- Deployed by Sphaera-Class Defense platform, currently still in testing.

- Independently controlled.

- Not dockable

- Single small payload.

Amazingly impressed with this weapon. It's a bit of a pain to get those final few meters correct, but when you do it decimates whatever it hits due to its speed. It's designed really to be deployed from a higher orbit and then correct its own orbit in order to intercept. I did give myself a small target, just to prove its accuracy, but I shall start trying it on more heavily armoured frigate soon to see what it can do.

Anyone want to set up a full military 'company' focusing on munitions and weapons platforms? There's a few already, but most focus on ships and not the finery of the weapons they fire.

Edited by SecondGuessing

before 0.19, I built a stock SCUD launcher which I considered to be pretty cool.

while on the ground, it was powered by two 24-77s and it steered by RCS, but because of this, its range was quite limited.

9qh8ilA.jpg

now that we have rover wheels available, I've upgraded it to a new version:

9wkU1Ch.jpg

HgqTYn0.jpg

WwV5crr.png

xERHDuy.png

also, coolness factor +100 for the atmospheric FX.

here are the craft files, if you're interested:

SCUD - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23334071/SCUD.craft

SCUD [0.19.1] - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23334071/SCUD%202.craft

about the first weapon system I posted (the W.T.F.): I consider it an unfinished project, but here it is anyway:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23334071/WTF.craft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.