Enough fuel to reach Eve orbit?

Finnerty

Making my first trip to Eve to put a satellite in orbit and I think I am using the bare minimum to get there. Many designs failed to get my upper stage into Kerbin orbit, but this one in the pics below finally got the job done. Now I'm wondering if I have enough fuel to reach Eve. That is shown in the pics below also. Nuclear rocket is supposed to be more efficient, so I went with that. I know I didn't wait for the proper launch window.

firsteveorbiter.jpg~original

triptoeve.jpg~original

Hope this is enough fuel. I have decending node and perigee lined up so that with one burn maneuver I can change the node and orbit.

eveorbiter.jpg~original

If I have to, I could use the remaining RCS to get an orbit. If I get that close.

Thats good to hear. I'll post another pic if and when I get there. It took about 6 different design changes and many explosions to get this thing out of Kerbin orbit.

I owe, I owe, off to work I go. Be back in space tonite.

Could i suggest you to use mod like Kerbal Engineer Redux?

It will show you the dV (variation of velocity) of your spacecraft so you can know where you can go with that vessel.

dV Map:

system_map.png

To get that small of a satellite into Eve orbit, you probably only need to use the 1.25 m parts. That big of a rocket is way too much for a small Eve satellite.

I´ve launched Ion fighter (Mk.1 cockpit, 2 ion drives and lot of small parts, definetly got some weight) to eve using what I believe was nuclear engine and 360 units of liquid fuel..

To get that small of a satellite into Eve orbit, you probably only need to use the 1.25 m parts. That big of a rocket is way too much for a small Eve satellite.

I thought about getting rid of, but decided to just keep it as my main thruster. Probably to much weight to that thing. I'll try something smaller next time. Testing and trying is the fun part. Thanks for the tip.

Could i suggest you to use mod like Kerbal Engineer Redux?

It will show you the dV (variation of velocity) of your spacecraft so you can know where you can go with that vessel.

dV Map:

system_map.png

I'll use this map, thank you, good info to plan ahead, but I'm holding off on the mods for now. Still plenty of changes coming to the game which might make current mods unusable after updates. Kind of a hassle to have to update a bunch of mods after each game update and there are plenty more coming.

Also, although the LV-N is the 'most efficient' deep space drive engine, there is the possibility -for very light payloads such as probes and satellites - that the LV-909 may actually yield higher ÃŽâ€V than the LV-N, due to the increased mass of the LV-N over the 909. Just something to keep in mind.

Nah, they'll work fine after updates just like all the other times. Just install them.

I do have some downloaded already. Eventually I will try a few.

You can also calculate the dV with math :P

Oh, the M-word.:confused: If I absolutely have to use it I will. :D

Also, although the LV-N is the 'most efficient' deep space drive engine, there is the possibility -for very light payloads such as probes and satellites - that the LV-909 may actually yield higher ÃŽâ€V than the LV-N, due to the increased mass of the LV-N over the 909. Just something to keep in mind.

And let the testing begin:cool:

Thanks for all the tips, advice etc...

there is the possibility -for very light payloads such as probes and satellites - that the LV-909 may actually yield higher ÃŽâ€V than the LV-N

When the LV-909 is on the payload yes, although even then it's a pretty narrow margin before the lightweight engines (24-77/LV-1) are a better choice.

I'm thinking in situations where the payload is in the less than 5T region, and there's a small boost stage on it, maybe one of the smallest stock 1m tanks and the the LV-909, the thought being that keeping the mass down is what increases the ÃŽâ€V over the tremendous relative mass of the LV-N engines - which I do love to death, mind you.

-

addendum - in this situation - even if the ÃŽâ€V of the payload stage is not significantly improved over the LV-N variant, the overall mass of the payload being reduced makes the lifting stages more efficient as well, allowing you to get more "oomph" from the lifter, or for those of you running pseudo career games using the rules detailed elsewhere on the forums -smaller, sleeker, less expensive rocket designs to get what you want where you want it.

Edited by rakutenshi

the overall mass of the payload being reduced makes the lifting stages more efficient as well, allowing you to get more "oomph" from the lifter

If you're using a lifter stage at all then it makes more sense to keep using the payload engine and adding fuel. You'll get better fuel efficiency and lighter weight overall using an LV-N across two stages than an LV-909 and a second engine.

Ok, I made it to Eve with some fuel to spare. Ended up in a unintended polar orbit, but that's fine. I don't what a decent travel time is to Eve, but I made it my first time in 86 days. Not bad for a first-timer with no mods and no math, or am I just kidding myself??

Eve Encounter. I really didn't think I would get one so soon. Figured on a couple more orbits to get one.

eveencounter.jpg~original

Accidental Polar Orbit of Eve. Is this normal? I sure didn't intend on polar, but I'm not gonna complain.

evepolarorbit.jpg~original

Colorful.

eveorbit.jpg~original

Edited by Finnerty
Grammer

Eve and Duna are probably the two easiest planets to get to, but getting to another planet at all is something to be proud of. Good job!

That said, if you're willing to do some experimenting (and maybe a little digging on the forums), you'll discover some tricks that might make your next mission a little easier. If you're interested, there's a thread in my signature that's got all manner of useful information.

If you're using a lifter stage at all then it makes more sense to keep using the payload engine and adding fuel. You'll get better fuel efficiency and lighter weight overall using an LV-N across two stages than an LV-909 and a second engine.

I've not seen all that many successful designs that didn't use a lifter stage of some sort. I've had some designs that were overbuilt enough that the last bit that was designed to get it into a stable orbit still had enough fuel to get it most of the way out of the Kerbin SOI. At this point though I think one of two things is happening. You (endlesswaves) and I are not having the same situation in mind, or (far less likely) .. I'm not allowed to be right.

hell maybe enough fuel to warrant a trip to the Sol system, kidnap an earth cow to freak the humans out, and return to kerbin with pictures and videos of humans freaking out! :o

SPOILERS HIGHLIGHT

I'm joking >_>

But yeah, go for it! You got more than enough!

Eve and Duna are probably the two easiest planets to get to, but getting to another planet at all is something to be proud of. Good job!

That said, if you're willing to do some experimenting (and maybe a little digging on the forums), you'll discover some tricks that might make your next mission a little easier. If you're interested, there's a thread in my signature that's got all manner of useful information.

Thank you, and I'm going to redesign and try a different lifter. The big orange tank and big rocket engine(sorry, haven't memorized the labels of all these parts yet - ie LV-N)may be too much weight. My upper stage ended up very low on fuel. I made it but now I know if go any further I should increase the amount of fuel on that upper(final)stage. Just in case I make a mistake. I got lucky this time and got to Eve in less than 90 days with correct burns. I might not be so lucky next time.

Yeah, it's a lot more efficient to do an aerocapture. Let the drag do some deceleration work for you. The atmosphere is so dense it slows you down quite quickly, with spectacular entry effects. I found 60km is pretty good, 40 made me lose orbit. You could do a double dip aerobrake if you don't trust yourself to do it in one go. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.