[WIP Plugin] Extraplanetary Space Centers!

skykooler

Thread resurrected from Google cache. Bear with me.

You've flown to other planets, and started a colony on, say, Duna. You've even made the base self-sustaining - via Kethane, perhaps - and then one day you come in a little too fast for the landing and break your lander. What to do? Or, perhaps you have a new vehicle you want to launch from your Tylo colony, but don't want to wait seven months for a transfer window. The answer to both these problems has, so far, been either to send a new rocket up from Kerbin (and in the latter case, just wait) or to use an unrealistic plugin like Hyperedit.

But what if you could set up another Space Center at your colony and build the ships there?

Extraplanetary Space Centers is here to allow that! With this mod, you can build your ships at your colonies - never even having to visit the Kerbin launch pad!

launchpad.png

Folding launchpad - doesn't hit the launch tower at launch, but unfolds when landed to provide a sturdy base for other rockets.

rocketworkshop.png

Obviously, it's impractical to try to send a VAB anywhere by rocket. Never fear; there is a Kerbal solution to this problem: the Kerbal Rocket Workshop! Send it up on a rocket and dock it with the launchpad to provide parts for ships!

smelter.png

You can't just create rockets out of thin air; they have to be made of something. Made of what? Well, metal, mostly. This smelter produces metal from ore. Ore can be mined in a similar way to Kethane, more on that in another post.

The amount of metal needed is equal to the weight of the rocket. This means that you can't build anything weighing more than 200 tons, because that's how much Rocket Parts can be stored at once; but really, when you're building rockets at a little workshop with a hammer, duct tape and an acetylene welder, you shouldn't be building rockets that weigh more than 200 tons anyway.

In action:

screenshot40.png

Selecting space center.

screenshot39.png

Jeb at work.

screenshot41.png

The space center, on the Mun.

screenshot43.png

Smelting.

screenshot44.png

Making metal into rocket parts.

screenshot46.png

Loading a ship.

screenshot47.png

Ready to launch...

screenshot48.png

Launched off the Mun!

Are we going to have to scan for ore like that of Kethane or just be able to mine it where ever?

OR will we be able to transport?

If I recall from the original thread, the plan was to implement something similar to kethane for the ore and then of course add some ore "tanks" to move it around.

I don't think you'd need Orbital Construction (and this is why I like this mod so much) because if you can get ores to your station then you can build anything <200 tons in a realistic manner, i.e. your ship is built where it should be built and not 200-ish meters away after being teleported into space. It also gives you the ability to create things without launching them from the launch pad on Kerbin– it's entirely based at the launch pad and refining facility you place near a colony.

I can't wait to see this released!

i can't wait for this, definitely going to build some custom parts for my mod-pack to encorporate this into it, awesome work skykooler!

edit : an initial rough model :

qNjn3.jpg

Edited by germalto

If I understand the Orbital Construction mod properly, the way it works is by basically "teleporting" a ship which was *actually* spawned and launched at the regular VAB (breaks immersion). After seeing that I figured that actually "spawning" new ships outside of the launchpad wasn't possible yet.

But this has a "Load Ship" option in the gui.

Does this actually create new ships without having to use the KSC launchpad? If so, that's awesome!

If I understand the Orbital Construction mod properly, the way it works is by basically "teleporting" a ship which was *actually* spawned and launched at the regular VAB (breaks immersion). After seeing that I figured that actually "spawning" new ships outside of the launchpad wasn't possible yet.

But this has a "Load Ship" option in the gui.

Does this actually create new ships without having to use the KSC launchpad? If so, that's awesome!

Yes, that's how it works. I'm still trying to figure out how to intercept stuff in the VAB so you can select a lauchpad directly from there, but I haven't had much luck yet, so it looks like for version 1 at least you'll have to just go to the launchpad from the Tracking Station.

Doh! I just realized I missed this in the first post!

"- never even having to visit the Kerbin launch pad!"

That'll be awesome if you can pull it off eventually (needless to say)...

Yes, that's how it works. I'm still trying to figure out how to intercept stuff in the VAB so you can select a lauchpad directly from there, but I haven't had much luck yet, so it looks like for version 1 at least you'll have to just go to the launchpad from the Tracking Station.

To be honest from what I remember alpha testing this, that had been perfectly fine. It would have been neat to go straight from the VAB but it is a small price to pay.

I don't think you'd need Orbital Construction (and this is why I like this mod so much) because if you can get ores to your station then you can build anything <200 tons in a realistic manner, i.e. your ship is built where it should be built and not 200-ish meters away after being teleported into space. It also gives you the ability to create things without launching them from the launch pad on Kerbin– it's entirely based at the launch pad and refining facility you place near a colony.

I can't wait to see this released!

Well, I was pointing out that this mod is for land bases only if i'm not mistaken, and orbital cons. is for space bases, maybe "deep space bases", so If I can combine two mods, I pretty much can place a construction colony anywhere.

Think about it, for example, I have KSC, then a Space Center(this mod) on Duna, then orbiting Duna I have an orbital construction base floating somewhere

What if I wanted to create a 400 ton super ship?Or what if i'm having a hard time launch a 180 ton ship on Duna? I could mine for ore, then deliver it as spaceparts from the Duna ground base, to the Duna Orbital Spacestation. and proceed to make it

That would be very interesting. Kinda adds a "logisctics and supply" experience

on the other hand I am really excited for this mod, If anyone can help, please do so! this would be awesome

wait why stop there... (and I am actually being serious here)...

1) Mine Kethane

Convert Kethane (into Iron, or what ever he ends up calling it) (should be doable by a modification to the kethane Converter module .cfg file)

2) "Launch" a ship that is built from the Iron, that includes a "Spare Parts module"

Fly ship up to orbit and dock with an Orbital Construction platform...

Repeat (1 and 2) until enough tons of spare parts are in orbit....

3) "Launch" a ship with the Space built id, then 'hop' it to the Orbital Constuction platform....

4) Profit! (ie: fly away in your totally alien sourced craft!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.