Faster Than Light Travel

HeloDrop

So here's the deal...

I launched a ship to orbit the Mun using several mods, including MechJeb and Orbital Construction.

Things were going well until I launched my first lander for the Mun.

That's when this happened...

(pardon the linked in photos)

http://imgur.com/QhPII4n,LjQA1cr,JRac1MO

Basically, the mods reacted in such a way that it launched my Mining Unit into FTL travel. I did a few simple calculations and have deduced that since light travels at 299,792,458 m/s, and my object is traveling at 1,376,431,065,924.1 m/s, that's in the trillions for those of you who don't count commas, or 4591 times the speed of light. Nifty, eh?

Here are some more images.

http://imgur.com/QhPII4n,LjQA1cr,JRac1MO#1

Shows an image of speed, altitude and a nice empty backdrop.

http://imgur.com/QhPII4n,LjQA1cr,JRac1MO#2

An image of the Kerbin sun from 280 gigameters.

Will upload more images as time progresses and the sun gets smaller...

-HeloDrop

This might come handy when/if we get other solar systems :) Replicate this bug and BOOM - you have FTL ship very early in game. Can you change direction of the flight? If not, it won't be so useful :P

I think this may be related in the previous video, but I once managed about 60,000,000,000c. You could go to the galactic centre in 13 seconds. However it behaved in a way that I very quickly slowed down, and only reached about 648ly.

Just pointing out that this is about 2000 ly/sec.

Edited by SunJumper

SoldierHair- Beats me man. I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how fast I was going.

Aphox- What is the hotkey for the screenshot function?

Scotius- I was thinking this, however, after the 280 Gigameter mark, the sun didn't seem to be getting any smaller. Bad news, Kerbonauts, it seems the solar system is really just a big box that we will never be able to leave without destroying the Space Kraken. And no, I tried, but it was only the command module. I couldn't even use the on board RCS system. Plus, how many rockets would it take to slow that bad boy down? In response to your second post: How cool would it be to create a warp drive that is Krakenpervious? Think of all the possibilities!

Leax- That's pretty much what happened with my craft. It must be some sort of corrupted save file due to heavy mod usage. What do you use other than MechJeb?

SunJumper- I figured that once I hit a certain point the game would keep generating map in that specific direction, kinda like Minecraft. However, it looks as if there is a point where your ship will remain stationary, but the indicator will still have an output.

Leax- That's pretty much what happened with my craft. It must be some sort of corrupted save file due to heavy mod usage. What do you use other than MechJeb?

kethane, rocketry, airship, robot arms, home, Deep Space Mission, B9 aerospace, the mod Claira, I think that's her name, made...that's the main ones...oh yea, quantnam struts/transfer.

Maybe some sort of frictional warp gate system light years long that contain some sort of thin web within each individual hub to slow it down over time.
or maybe fire an object 1/1,000th the mass of the ship 1000 times the speed of the ship to kill all velosity.

• 6 years later...

We already have controllable FTL drives in the form of K-Drives. Just make sure to get an engineer to repair the wheels...

d2uyRVA.png

This ship didn't work because it carries only one, who was not an engineer. The wheels broke (and the K Drive stopped working) when I was half way through a burn to Eve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.