I figured out what i was doing wrong

skipper8472

Hi all. I could not believe it I was on KSP last night and it was 18:30 and next time I looked at the clock it was 22.50. Not been on a Game (SIM) that long since FSX and that's been a while. Any way I have finally figured out why my AP and PE are way off when I finally do the last burn to get into orbit. I have been going up way too fast from blast and not slowing down in time until last thing last night and now done it many times with the same rocket and a better shape. The only thing is that it is different with each rocket you make due to the weight on how much or less the rocket weighs as to how fast or slow you go up. That's my next thing. lol.

There's no real trouble with getting an Ap and Pe that aren't close. It has no impact on anything if your orbit isn't circular. As long as your Pe is above the atmosphere, you can circularize later if you really want to.

Yeah but when first started and only to last night the gab was way too big for my liking but now I can get it down now. At the moment I have a pod up there and its at AP 91,918 and PE 66.595. But I have just launched my 1st satellite with batteries and solar panel and a communication and thermometer that is AP 86.037 PE 71.154 which im happy with. The thing is thouh my rocket started at 180 degrees instead of 000 but I still managed to get it right like it started at 000 degress and pointed it to 90 on the nav ball. :D

If you want to raise your Pe, just burn prograde when you are at you Ap. If you want to lower your Ap, just burn retrograde when you're at you Pe. It's as simple as that.

As for your heading problem, all you need to do is to lean your rocket sideways, towards the east, during the launch, and use ASAS to maintain the heading.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.