Elite docking club

ComradeGoat

Docked without RCS on either ship?  

1. 1. Docked without RCS on either ship?

• Sure! Piece of cake!
    • No, but I'm going to try that right now.
    • You must be joking! That's impossible!
    • I tried, but there was a horrible noise and it all went wrong.

I have done it several times when I forgot my RCS (or the RCS ports...), and it wasn't that difficult. The ships were small, though, and I was able to switch between them and orient them in a good position. It would probably be a lot more difficult with large space stations.

Deep space, I was saving weight.

Unless you miraculously had them lined up perfectly and hit first time with just enough speed from LKO to be bang on, I very much doubt you actually saved weight by burning all that extra fuel manouvering instead of just letting the RCS make it easier.

I have done it several times when I forgot my RCS (or the RCS ports...), and it wasn't that difficult. The ships were small, though, and I was able to switch between them and orient them in a good position. It would probably be a lot more difficult with large space stations.

The one time I had to do it, it was a small, twin NERVA powered ship, returning to Kerbin from interplanetary space and docking at my station.

Docking with RCS is easy for me.

Docking two 'sentient' ships (command pod or probe module) without RCS is doable but usually takes more time.

Docking to a non-sentient ship (for example a fuel tank with docking module) without RCS is impossible for me. I tried it recently around Dres, but got a little frustrated and eventually 'docked' the vessel with Dres going 500 m/s.

So long as you don't have such a stupid-high TWR that makes small corrections impossible, and low enough ship mass that pod torque can rotate the ship fairly quickly, docking without RCS isn't that much harder than with using RCS.

Does running out of propellant while learning how to dock and having to do it (successfully) without RCS for the final pass count?

Docking with uncontrolled objects like floating fuel tanks is actually a lot easier in KSP than in real life since we don't have to match rotation as well -- time warp or switching ships cheats and removes all angular momentum.

I've done it with MechJeb's Smart A.S.S feature, but never without. Basically just made the target vessel point its port at me while I burnt my nuclear-powered fuel station towards it. I imagine I could do it without MechJeb, but I don't usually forget RCS. :D

Docking has never required RCS, it's just generally easier that way since it gives you the most valuable tool for such: a low-thrust output option. I cringe every time I see someone dock in a video by way of leaving RCS and ASAS on constantly. So much wasted monopropellant...

Hey guys drawingnvada here i made a space station well sorta i got the design but im new so i dont know how to dock and i was wondering is someone could do it for me i will give something in return my skype is zander.foster1

I don't think this is difficult. You can use those small radially attached liquid fuel engines divided up into action groups in place of RCS ports, thereby satisfying the requirement of no RCS and retaining fine control of the vessel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.