That Moment When....

rakutenshi

You were close enough to start the final docking maneouvres and realised you forgot to put an RCS Tank (or thrusters) on your ship..

You made a minor change in the VAB, went back to the launchpad and tried to take off, only to see your ship shaken about like an angry maraca because you forgot to make sure the LSE was in the

right staging group...

You line up with the node, time warp, and realise you forgot to deploy the solar panels, leaving you with a fully fueled piece of space debris.

You make contact with the other ship, only to realize your docking port is on backwards...

You finish aerobraking at Jool, only to realize you inserted wrong way 'round and don't have the fuel to fix it...

Jeb comes back from his EVA on Eve to find that you forgot to put ladders on the lander...

You line up with the node, time warp, and realise you forgot to deploy the solar panels, leaving you with a fully fueled piece of space debris.

I use a power management mod for this that lets me keep just enough power in reserve to deploy solar panels, and its why on my larger ships I always try an squeeze and rtg in, may not be able to run anything, but can usually (for me) keep the craft limping until I save enough power for panels. Or send a rescue

You make contact with the other ship, only to realize your docking port is on backwards

I always double check after my first space station had all the ports the wrong way round.... Hated myself for that

That moment when you have a multi-part ship that is in orbit arround duna, deploy the lander, re-enter and the parashutes got ripped-off so you only have your command pod left, and you have no quicksaves.

That moment when you have the perfect planetary injection with aerobraking included, then you fast forward till you are inside the atmo and do something wrong, you press quickload and you are back at the launchpad.

That moment when the rover on the side of your probe is clipping a (folded) solar panel, and takes it out during deployment.

That moment when your can deploy the payload to KSO, because you stuck it to the docking port wrong in the SPH...

That moment when you accidentally fire your lander SRBs instead of the orbital insertion thrusters, and watch your lander rocket away in the opposite direction with no hope of poor Jeb getting back in a long while.

That moment when you have finally got you big ship stages set all right (you know what I mean... getting the separations and sepatrons etc in the right slots) and are just about to save and...

FATAL ERROR IN GC

... and yes THAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME!

I think the worst thing I have done so far is forget to put a command computer on board of one of my payloads. It's now in orbit recognized as debris. I noticed after going to the tracking station and was all like O.O FFFFFFFFFFFFFF***. Then face planted on my desk. I will have to recover it at some point, do it later.

actually, kerbals on EVA can fix this and deploy panels manually :wink:

Done this. So. Many. Times.

That moment when you realize your sound-looking spaceplane isn't taking off... at all...

The moment when, after landing, your winglets are in the way of you ladders.

The moment when your Kerbal is 10km from your mun lander (with a RCS pack) and it runs out of fuel.

The moment you realise that Jeb is flying your rocket.

Ha! Yeah. I usually throw a pair of static solar panels on all my craft somewhere just in case I forget to deploy the main ones.

Even one is enough to save a lonely probe. It just needs a trickle of juice to open the other panels. Once they start opening you are safe (even though you probably only should be able to part open them before running out again). I make sure EVERY ship and probe has a single static solar panel because in the early days I lost probes all over the place.

actually, kerbals on EVA can fix this and deploy panels manually :wink:

!! I had no idea !! I'd just not tried that! you mean those failed missions, hours wasted, could have been saved with a simple EVA!? grrrmumblemumbleDOH.

...just went and tried it and it works!!

result; -that moment when you go EVA to open a solar panel and just after it opens you crash your kerbal into and break it off.

You make contact with the other ship, only to realize your docking port is on backwards...

*snip*

That's so NASA!! ;)

OP (or anyone), what is the LSE? London Stock Exchange!?

- that moment when you take you take your eye off the mission to read the forums and hear a loud crashing sound.

...When you finish your transfer burn to Jool for your Laythe landing mission, and realize you don't have enough fuel to get home because, while you made sure that you upgraded your Duna lander to get off Laythe, you forgot that all that extra mass needs more fuel to push the lander out to Laythe. No worries though a tank of fuel will be sent in the next window...and they should have enough fuel to dock with it..............I hope.

When you get to Duna for the first time and excitedly hop into your lander only to find out that you've just hauled the lander all the way here without first checking to see if there was actually fuel in it. (hint: no there wasn't)

That moment when you launch something out to the Mun, and then go back to it to realize it has no power supply, and then you do it again on another mission. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.