[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

Hm i also get a very laggy state using the cockpits , first the lag comes when im moving them around in vab, and later on the launch.

Other then that, no bugs just big enjoyment!

url] Taking a walk in a test air lab

This has awaken my ksp playtime hehe, so many ideas and we can make so much possible thanks to you

Edited by ahappydude

also, have you considered making your parts lighter, by say, 5-10 times? I know balancing is probably last on your plate, but I think it would be easier to use stock engine power with the mass of your parts. I have no problem right now using them as I'm using KSP Interstellar, but I can see others having problems.

Prison transport haha thats hilliaroius whiteweasel. Prison on the moon next ? Alskari all the new parts are indeed great, i dont know how much time and effort you put into them but im having a blast so thank you

http://pho.to/5779L

cefc4521_l.png

Album of my first succesfull station test, some pics are taken firstperson mode style.

Also those habitation modules, beatiful made and are so handy when you want to colonise or go for an away mission. Also those crachcouces are so good for escape pods lol

Can you make an addon for the elevator partwise so we can extend it?

Also with the airlocks possible eva style, can you do likewise with science things? Would be neato to have an minilab fitting into your cubes

Edited by ahappydude

the workstation 1k and the zelus cockpit lag the game tremendously. I'm getting

[Error]: Actor::updateMassFromShapes: Compute mesh inertia tensor failed for one of the actor's mesh shapes! Please change mesh geometry or supply a tensor manually!

spammed in debug.

Few ideas:

• I was thinking a way of making custom IVA bridges- would it be possible to have the workstation attach wall be on the bottom of the part? This would solve your root part issue and also allow us design our own bridge rather than relying upon a cockpit.
  • Structural panels for hull plating and extended interior hull sections unbroken by the vertical columns in the cubes. I'm attempting to use B9 hull panels to plate the outside of my ship and the create a large hangar to dock another ship inside my ship (yo dawg). Integrating the b9 panels with your mod is proving to be very very clunky. The biggest want I have is to be able to build rooms out of structural panels and have it still be able to link up to the rest of the mod parts.
  • Symmetry is a bit of a problem but not impossible. Unless I'm thinking of this incorrectly, the only way to attach things symmetrically is through surface attachment- your mod is entirely built for node attachment. The (blunt) way of getting around this is by making sure I have symmetrically surface-attached pieces along the root center line all the way out to the farthest part of hull and then attaching it to those pieces to create symmetry.

Thanks for your had work! This mod adds new life into this game in terms of ship and base design!

The RPM + sfr code makes for a good deal of lag. I would recommend going into the ExampleMFD file and bumping the refresh rate to something more manageable. I have been trying to fix the problem with the sfr code, but to no avail. Not sure about the debug, some people get that, I don't. Haven't looked into it yet.

I'm not sure what you mean about the workstation attaching on the bottom helping with the root issue. As for a bridge, I would like to make this possible, probably through radial attachable 'desks' or something. And also a sweet command chair, but all that is on hold until I figure out how to replace the sfr code.

As for a totally free build option with walls and floors... I will probably get around to eventually adding something. The biggest problem right now is how KSP treats attaching parts and the wild flexing that would occur from having walls and floors not joined completely together. However, I would encourage you to download the 'Custom Rooms' pack and take a look at the OctoStarter blender file. Consider making a few parts. I would be glad to help troubleshoot the process.

Not 100% clear on what your suggestion is w/ symmetry. You are correct when you assume I'm all about node based building.

Thank you for your feedback, glad you're enjoying the parts.

also, have you considered making your parts lighter, by say, 5-10 times? I know balancing is probably last on your plate, but I think it would be easier to use stock engine power with the mass of your parts. I have no problem right now using them as I'm using KSP Interstellar, but I can see others having problems.

Honestly I think they are probably too light if anything. However, if you come across a particular part that you feel is not right please let me know.

Hey, here is a neat thing you can do with the crash couch. Put it into a 1m hallway part and put a door in front of it and turn it into a kerbal prison hold!

:-| ... I have questions... but I don't think I want to know the answers.

Can you make an addon for the elevator partwise so we can extend it?

Also with the airlocks possible eva style, can you do likewise with science things? Would be neato to have an minilab fitting into your cubes

Good to hear from you again! I always enjoy your creations.

Not 100% clear on what you mean by partwise. I do have some super neat looking collapsible spiral stairs which could be set up to integrate so you could make a several cube tall staircase. I made them extremely complicated and then depressed myself when trying to animate them. I will probably work on them after the inset door and fixing the sfr code.

Science parts would be very cool, but for now I'm going to leave them alone. I've gone back and forth about what kind of piece they should be, and I've not been super excited about any of my ideas yet. I've actually started playing KSP again, so I think some good ideas may pop up as I start getting familiar with using these parts.

The RPM + sfr code makes for a good deal of lag. I would recommend going into the ExampleMFD file and bumping the refresh rate to something more manageable. I have been trying to fix the problem with the sfr code, but to no avail. Not sure about the debug, some people get that, I don't. Haven't looked into it yet.

I'm not sure what you mean about the workstation attaching on the bottom helping with the root issue. As for a bridge, I would like to make this possible, probably through radial attachable 'desks' or something. And also a sweet command chair, but all that is on hold until I figure out how to replace the sfr code.

As for a totally free build option with walls and floors... I will probably get around to eventually adding something. The biggest problem right now is how KSP treats attaching parts and the wild flexing that would occur from having walls and floors not joined completely together. However, I would encourage you to download the 'Custom Rooms' pack and take a look at the OctoStarter blender file. Consider making a few parts. I would be glad to help troubleshoot the process.

Not 100% clear on what your suggestion is w/ symmetry. You are correct when you assume I'm all about node based building.

Thank you for your feedback, glad you're enjoying the parts.

Honestly I think they are probably too light if anything. However, if you come across a particular part that you feel is not right please let me know.

Ah I never considered the wobbling of room parts as I'm using the welding mod to lower my part count- my huge rooms just end up as one part :D

I think the error I posted is caused by some interaction between Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and the cockpits in your mod- I think the "inertia tensor" is from the KJR.

I also have another bug to post for your 45 degree parts: the 1 meter part node transform is fine but the 2m and 4m are not. To fix this, I just switched the TF2 and the TF1.

Damn, I haven't used this in forever.

So

I'll be using this mod a lot again!

EDIT: Having same issue as this guy:

Hm i also get a very laggy state using the cockpits , first the lag comes when im moving them around in vab, and later on the launch.

Other then that, no bugs just big enjoyment!

url] Taking a walk in a test air lab

This has awaken my ksp playtime hehe, so many ideas and we can make so much possible thanks to you

EDIT2: Well, that sucked. I was building a large cruiser, and had recently placed like 24 or so of those sleeping places. Wanted to drag the vessel up, after 30 seconds it responded, I checked the debug log, it said something like too many parts created and then KSP CTD with no "sorry" message.

Log is spammed with this:

dcEXPew.jpg

Edited by The Destroyer

I also have another bug to post for your 45 degree parts: the 1 meter part node transform is fine but the 2m and 4m are not. To fix this, I just switched the TF2 and the TF1.

Thanks, I'll upload the fix along with a few other changes later today.

EDIT2: Well, that sucked. I was building a large cruiser, and had recently placed like 24 or so of those sleeping places. Wanted to drag the vessel up, after 30 seconds it responded, I checked the debug log, it said something like too many parts created and then KSP CTD with no "sorry" message.

Yeah I would not recommend putting 24 habitation cubes in the same spot... maybe I need to make a low poly version. The all also have a spotlight, so that isn't ideal either.

I'll check out the error, I don't know that I was testing for it with the Zelus command pod. Anyway I'll be looking into a fix.

I belive it's KJR that causes the error, but I haven't updated in awhile. I'll try the updateed version and report back.

EDIT: Seems only the crash couch and the Proatiea is fine.

Same here, can it have something to do with the texture? Thanks for the reply! The stairs and science bit sounds great, take your time and if there is anything we can help out with just say so =)

If you need one or more hangars you can use the biggest sizes the doors works great

Beatiful view(using cloud and lights mod)

dzl0p.jpg

Ah it really like to crash on me now, may be conflicting mods but i managed to get one thing working that i missed, walkable research center and launchplace in air. Dammit, i took a lot of screens but beacuse of the crash none were saved, well i will do it again and post it

Ed

http://i.share.pho.to/0510553a_o.png

Succcesfull, another random album

http://pho.to/57yEq

Edited by ahappydude

I went and removed the SFR module from the cockpit. Works perfectly! No more error spam and lag. The only downside is that you can't see your kerbals sitting in the seat and their portraits are pitch black, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion. I googled the error log- seems like it's a unity thing and NOT Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

I also noticed that you had a pod-station-1k (titled Observer Module in game) and I was stumped as to why it wasn't showing up. The .mu file was incorrectly named "Pod-WindowStation.mu" and renaming it "pod-station-1k.mu" fixed the issue. I went and tried the part and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for as the part I had previously wanted in another post.

I'm absolutely falling in love with this mod. I really do enjoy the meticulous work you've done to make sure the parts line up all the way throughout the entire craft. Pretty geometry math at work :D The part that doesn't seem to enjoy playing perfectly with the others is the 1x5 adapters- they 90 degree attachments line up well, but the angled holes don't allow you to return to a good spot. It seems that any time I have to use the angled holes it would be a terminal end of a hallway and won't be able to reconnect with the rest of the hallways and hulls. Thank you so much for the fun I'm having! I guess I should post pictures and show you what crazy (fully functional!) interstellar ships I've been cooking up.

edit1:

also: what's with the

MODULE

{

name = SeaSicknessCure

debug_menu = false

nudging = true

}

in the Pod Station 1k part?

edit2: I did some playing around with the observation module... something was terribly wrong with the part. To fix it you've got to the cfg internal of Pod-WindowStation-IVA to Pod-Station-1k-IVA.

Edited by not-a-cylon
edit 2

I went and removed the SFR module from the cockpit. Works perfectly! No more error spam and lag. The only downside is that you can't see your kerbals sitting in the seat and their portraits are pitch black, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion. I googled the error log- seems like it's a unity thing and NOT Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

I also noticed that you had a pod-station-1k (titled Observer Module in game) and I was stumped as to why it wasn't showing up. The .mu file was incorrectly named "Pod-WindowStation.mu" and renaming it "pod-station-1k.mu" fixed the issue. I went and tried the part and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for as the part I had previously wanted in another post.

I'm absolutely falling in love with this mod. I really do enjoy the meticulous work you've done to make sure the parts line up all the way throughout the entire craft. Pretty geometry math at work :D The part that doesn't seem to enjoy playing perfectly with the others is the 1x5 adapters- they 90 degree attachments line up well, but the angled holes don't allow you to return to a good spot. It seems that any time I have to use the angled holes it would be a terminal end of a hallway and won't be able to reconnect with the rest of the hallways and hulls. Thank you so much for the fun I'm having! I guess I should post pictures and show you what crazy (fully functional!) interstellar ships I've been cooking up.

also: what's with the

MODULE

{

name = SeaSicknessCure

debug_menu = false

nudging = true

}

in the Pod Station 1k part?

You're stumbling upon more sloppy mistakes I have fixed in the next iteration. There was originally a larger pod which just didn't work out as well. I ended up completely redoing the pod, hence the name change. I had a cfg ready and everything, just grabbed the wrong one. Also those 45s pissed me off because they wouldn't snap, so I didn't bother making alternatives with different nodes. As for the sfr module, I kind of assumed everyone would want that, but yes removing it will make your game run faster.

And yes very curious to see screenshots.

Edit: The seasickness is more mess from when I was testing to see if that still worked.

Edit Edit: I actually already seem to have cleaned up everything but the 45 degree adapter nodes. So spaceport is up to date enough for me not to want to mess with it.

Edited by Alskari

not-a-cylon i would also like to see your creations!

Also alskari, your nodes are amazing.. I remember how hard it was to set those up in unity and then ksp, (Y)

I dont know if making those parts modular was your plan but you can build just like you want which is great

I dont know if making those parts modular was your plan but you can build just like you want which is great

Modular was the new goal for these parts. A major reason why I just stopped and reworked the mod completely.

I've made some headway in the sfr issues and will be moving to a plugin of my own, based off the sfr code. Rotations are still screwed if not in alignment with the root part.

Code wise I'm going to still be focusing on the sfr problems, then I'll probably look at the SeaSickness mod. Eventually I will need to go through and clean up the sfr code.

Other things I'm working on in no particular order:

• Cockpit - 2m
  • Adapter - 1x1 resize rework (1x5 alternative)
  • Science Lab - Probably an insert piece ... Maybe a few models with some Kethane, Interstellar, and Extra-planetary Launchpad .cfg options
  • Elevator - Particularly an alternative to the 1m model currently in use.
  • Stock Adapter - Further testing to see if the 2 arm method proves too difficult to use
  • Inset Door - Testing today... hopefully done.
  • Deck System - Purely conceptual at this point and probably reliant on part welding
  • More flat plates for the 4m - 4x1m or 9x1m options
  • Super SAS Rings - Like the old station rings but smaller... something to help manage asymmetric craft
  • Spiral stairs / ramps - Not sure what I want to do here.
  • Extra-planetary Launchpad Parts - Need to test for compatibility / potentially offer some alternative models
  • Lighting Solutions - Stock lights are too big.

Stuff I want from my mod users:

• Screenshots!!! I'm extremely curious how people are using this mod. It helps me get new ideas and improve designs.
  • Opinions on what you think this mod is missing.
  • Mods which cause problems (KJR for example)
  • In particular I'm curious if KAS, Kethane, Extra-Planetary Launchpads, Near Future, KSP Interstellar, and Part Welder work. (I am still modelling and coding so my play time is limited.)

Confirmed working for the arm rls =) Kas and extra launchpad works fine here, also http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-3-0-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs! helped with the lagspikes using the commandpod, or it was something in the ksp patch

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2s85z6d.jpg

Edited by ahappydude

I'm wondering if there will be even bigger parts- like 8m. C'mon, I want to have a giant mothership that parks a spaceplane into it, and then have a huge plane-disco party! :P

I already have a bunch of 8m parts made, but I didn't care for their look as much. Although an 8m cargo bay might be pretty cool...

I'll make a separate download for the 8m parts. I'll include a .cfg for embiggened doors and cargo bays as well.

Are there already mods that add suitable lighting (not disco, but just normal?)

Have you had any thoughts on how to walk on parts that aren't landed?

I'm probably going to take a look at some code which would offer that soon. No promises that I'll get it right though.

Mod is updated. A few new parts added and some minor improvements made to the IVA situation. IVAs now locate on the correct part, but are still locked into the alignment of the root part. Lame, but progress.

I'm switching over to the AdvancedAnimator mod from the Vanguard plugin, so that will likely cause a few issues with the alternative downloads. I'll sort those tomorrow.

9mDCj45.png

He has.. ;) For now you can sortof use hoolligans mods, with those you can achive a landed state in air or travling

Some random screen

http://share.pho.to/59MtS/vq

An better airbase im building

That's pretty cool; I've only really seen that done with floating structures.

What I'd really like to see is a way to get it to work with rotating structures in orbit, though.

It's possible to make parts with gravity, or an artificial gravity ring, but in both cases kerbals just kind of slide along the surface as if they're falling.

It's possible to make parts with gravity, or an artificial gravity ring, but in both cases kerbals just kind of slide along the surface as if they're falling.

I'm not clear that a part, even in a 'Landed' state and applying force to a kerbal will allow for that. I've seen centrifugal force used to make a rover drive around a ring, but the game seems to handle wheels very differently. Also I think it will be pretty important to make the gravity fields apply force only in one direction and only on one side of the part. Another option is to see about applying force only to kerbals, so perhaps a 'magnetized floors' kind of effect.

uhm i'm guessing the cubic parts and the octganal parts aren't suposed to go together (or all the parts supposed to be on at the same time) because i put all your mods on (except the legacy pack) and i don't have the 1m door for the cubic pack...

EDIT: yep found it it was the ultra light pack... i want those parts :( (this means i'll have to re-name all the parts and .cfgs! ugh! XD) soon as i get it done i can give the modder (Alskari) the .zip and he can put the link up for you guys...

Renameing about 50 parts... YAY!... not...

EDIT: oh... wait... it's just the doors (door 1m, door 2m,etc)

Edited by AntiMatter001

EDIT: oh... wait... it's just the doors (door 1m, door 2m,etc)

In the 'Ultralight Series' download? I didn't realize I'd messed that up. I'll add that to my list of things to do. I'm also going to switch everything off of the Vanguard plugin in that download as well. Warning the custom rooms download may also not access the correct module, I'm also swapping things over there.