[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

Its a neat idea, I like how many models you've got going on with a lot of variation. Heres some advice for making it look a bit nicer with regards to rendering and texturing.

* after backing up your files (because its a pain to undo this) use the modifiers to add "Edge Split" to your models. if you're exporting as DAE, it is neccesary to APPLY these pernamently (hence back it up) but it makes the sharp edges sharp, and gentle edges and curves will be smooth still. you can tweak the slider till its just how you want it.

* Grab GIMP if you haven't got it. Its not the best image editor (I use photoshop mostly, but GIMP when it isn't available) but its a lot better than paint for texturing, and lets you fiddle with colors and colorization very easily. you could cut a fairly nice metal texture off google, then add your colored sections on a new layer, or maybe some shapes on there.

Wish you luck with it, I'll keep an eye on how this develops.

Its a neat idea, I like how many models you've got going on with a lot of variation. Heres some advice for making it look a bit nicer with regards to rendering and texturing.

* after backing up your files (because its a pain to undo this) use the modifiers to add "Edge Split" to your models. if you're exporting as DAE, it is neccesary to APPLY these pernamently (hence back it up) but it makes the sharp edges sharp, and gentle edges and curves will be smooth still. you can tweak the slider till its just how you want it.

* Grab GIMP if you haven't got it. Its not the best image editor (I use photoshop mostly, but GIMP when it isn't available) but its a lot better than paint for texturing, and lets you fiddle with colors and colorization very easily. you could cut a fairly nice metal texture off google, then add your colored sections on a new layer, or maybe some shapes on there.

Wish you luck with it, I'll keep an eye on how this develops.

Thanks! My 3-D modeling experience comes from my engineering work, so I don't have a clue about how to make stuff pretty. All advice is welcome.

- My method is to completely model something in Blender and save a copy. Then break out smaller sub sections as needed to maintain an accurate collision mesh. I then drag all of the blend files into Unity and assemble them. The sub sections for the collision mesh are then set to transparent.

- I do use GIMP but I'm excessively lazy when it comes to UV meshing and such. It's on my list of things to get better at, but honestly I can model things so much faster I've been focusing on adding 3D bits and bobs. I need to get better at splitting up models to make my life easier.

Im baffled about the great details you got in the models, will make stationbuilding more fun and evas more enjoyable =)

I got two seats for you hehe, the first is the old one that i tried with your old parts ( i think you remember it?) And a newer one that is more for ordinary crew. I gladly give them to you , but they need some texture loving first haha cheers

Im baffled about the great details you got in the models, will make stationbuilding more fun and evas more enjoyable =)

I got two seats for you hehe, the first is the old one that i tried with your old parts ( i think you remember it?) And a newer one that is more for ordinary crew. I gladly give them to you , but they need some texture loving first haha cheers

Thanks amigo! I always enjoy your creations!

Thanks! My 3-D modeling experience comes from my engineering work, so I don't have a clue about how to make stuff pretty. All advice is welcome.

You say that, but don't lose hope on getting pretty things - I'm an Engineer by trade as well. I actually only started picking up Blender for modding KSP! (Photoshop I've fiddled with for years though, just because I like it... again no job relation here)

Hey, I'm also an engineer, sort of. I do PLC integration, industrial automation, and interface design.

I've just come through a course on solidworks (Inventor), so do let me know if you'd like some models made, and the general look you're going for.

I'm new to KSP, and new to the 3D modelling aspect of game mods, but I've been into the scripting side of things forever. As such, I haven't quite figured out how to make attachment nodes and the like yet; shouldn't take me too long though. :)

DO you have any fav colours ?^^ I could integrate them into the seatings ;) I suck at textureing but i have gotten good tips gfrom devo :=8

I've been using blue, but that's just because I thought it looked nice. I'll take any help I can get!

Wow, these are beautiful! I'd love to see ASAS, SAS, mono propellant (I tweaked the fuel tanks to include mono propellant), and perhaps some docking port adapters to dock with stock docking ports. I love how the mod has little load on my system. hahaha, now off to build my Duna Base. Good job once again, looking forward do seeing more of your work.

Having fun in the new long range vessel prototype.

DFevV6t.jpg

Not being a modeler/designer here, I'm kinda going out on a limb here but is it possible to have pieces with built in/inset "ladders"? I always dislike how all the ladders jut out.... And since there is no way to "Magnetize" Kerbalnauts boot or create a "reliable" gravity field for parts, I figure having hollow pieces with ladders in them already would be the next best thing!

Not being a modeler/designer here, I'm kinda going out on a limb here but is it possible to have pieces with built in/inset "ladders"? I always dislike how all the ladders jut out.... And since there is no way to "Magnetize" Kerbalnauts boot or create a "reliable" gravity field for parts, I figure having hollow pieces with ladders in them already would be the next best thing!

I can create a spherical gravity field which will make your kerbal drift up against a wall. I need to look into the SeaSickness mod and see if I can get that working in conjunction to allow for walking in space.

For the moment I'm working on putting in lights, a few additional hull sections, and experimenting with command chairs and IVA.

I can create a spherical gravity field which will make your kerbal drift up against a wall. I need to look into the SeaSickness mod and see if I can get that working in conjunction to allow for walking in space.

I helped out on that seasickness mod, as its based mostly on my walkonship code. And my code derived from KAS code partially.

I did about 6 hours of testing with various results in space. The best thing I could do at the time was to make the kerbal gravitate toward an object in the proper orientation, he could then buzz around with the jetpack like he was hovering over the part. The walking action has conditions like 'min gravity' and checks for 'landed' to see if the kerbal should switch state from inert to stand, or ragdoll.

One issue with the force to closest or contacting object is that the force seems to aim towards the center of the platform/object that is being traversed. So the kerbal was only oriented the correct way if he was over the middle of the object. You may need to do something with 'closest point on contact' or whatever it is.. to apply rotation or force towards that point and not the middle of the object being walked on/traversed.

Hope this helps... the way the game was designed/coded makes it a tough problem to work around.

For the moment I'm working on putting in lights, a few additional hull sections, and experimenting with command chairs and IVA.

'tis fine, I just threw my suggestion in as a "Like to see" anyways....

I like the mod so far. The internal lights are a good idea, but personally, with the way the sections are shaped, gravity would be kinda annoying.

Here is a shot of my cruiser on the moon.

V3IQbQW.jpg

Whats its armament, if any?

Whats its armament, if any?

None, at the moment. It's more of a proof of concept, prototype. It had a bit of a bumpy landing, hence the communications tower fell off, oops. I haven't decided if I'm going to include any weapon mods in my collection.

Here is my station using the Hollow Structures & Hulls mod along with a few other mods. Sorry in advance for the number of images. I wanted to show off what can be done with Alskari's mod. BTW, Alskari, I love what you did here, keep up the good work. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I might add that there is a bug where the docking port with doors reverts to just a docking port.

909MNcO.jpg

NR4AS9M.jpg

D4ea5sJ.jpg

Jeb watching the world go by... literally.

sWxfAcy.jpg

JbAecGL.jpg

0RSaMXf.jpg

FUrRKcF.jpg

Seriously Awesome!

These are fantastic. I appreciate you sharing the pictures of your creations. I'll look into the door issue. I've decided to make them toggle open/close rather than cycle them. Also I'm going to be adding lights to the main hall sections.

Additional suggestions welcome.

Once you get the directional gravity with actual walking inside the ship done, could you make a optional version/part which does include the orientation to the ground but not the gravity?

Edited by pip12345