[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

I had seen some discussion on png not working as well as tga format so I switched all of my new textures to the tga format. Glad I did. I was planning on moving all current parts to a mediafire 'Legacy' optional download, maybe I'll convert the textures first.

Thanks for your investigation.

Tried just converting them to tga myself, that made it even worse.

This mod just has many big (227 1024x1024px) textures. Simply reducing the size apparently does the trick for me.

Especially those monocolor textures could aswell be 1x1 or something like that i think.

Yeah a responsible mod owner would repackage the existing release into something less monstrous.

lol. Double lol because I have actually done this with all mods in GameData - don't need it? Don't load it - 32 bit architecture eh? Coolmodi, I have had brilliant results with stripping out parts of mods I don't ever use (that's everything not in Utilities or Comand in B9 as an example) and I also went to the trouble of removing all fuel tanks from all mods and replacing them with the new procedural version, same for wings and of course double for fairings. I still have 660+ parts but that's a lot better than it would have been.

Alskari, I am intrigued about the tga thing - I already noticed that .mbm are vastly bigger than their .png counterparts and my Monitors went from 33Mb to 1.7 Mb when I changed that one thing! I haven't seen anyone advocating them... Also is the mipmap thing that noticeable/problematic?

Yeah a responsible mod owner would repackage the existing release into something less monstrous.

;) wish all popular mod owner say and do the same as you did so we could finnally play with lot of mod together without memory crash @ load + i could stop welding stock part with cfg edit ;)

So, i "optimized" all textures myself.

Seeing that Alskari probably didn't had the time I'll share them here for anybody who has the same problem that i had, beeing unable to play with this great mod ;)

I reduced the size to something more resonable for each texture (1024x1024 down to 1x1 for one color for example), and made everyone without transparency into a .tga.

The mod takes only ~200mb for me now, compared to the ~1gb before! But more important, the game is stable now, even after adding 2 other mods :D

http://coolmodi.tipido.net/HSHalttexture.rar

If it's not ok to share that here, pls tell and i will delete it :)

There may be some "bugs" left, but i couldn't find obvious ones anymore.

Edited by coolmodi

I'm bundling them up right now. I've been struck with alternating fits of anger and apathy, as my last three attempts at using the new sfrCommandPod code I've made result in nasty graphical glitches and parts failing to load.

(A large source of irritation is that I designed all of the new crew pods on the assumption that I could get sfrCommandPod working the way I wanted. Now I'll have to redesign and I'm out of patience presently.)

I admit defeat on this front. I'll kick out the new parts minus the command pods for now.

Also I'm planning on making a blender file available so if people feel like trying to make things, they have something to start from.

I've been struck with alternating fits of anger and apathy, as my last three attempts at using the new sfrCommandPod code I've made result in nasty graphical glitches and parts failing to load.

Yuhuh, I'm feeling that. I've looked through procedural tanks and that mostly makes perfect sense to me but with that code, I'm not even sure how it is expecting to find the transform through the camera position - or what it gains by doing so instead of something more straight forward like making the interior scene as rendered by the crewcam visible at point XYZ... Sadly I can tweak if I can get it working but I haven't a clue how to start to write it :( Did you manage to spawn a Kerbal? (Please say yes, even if it was horrible - I need that code!)

Also I'm planning on making a blender file available so if people feel like trying to make things, they have something to start from.

definetly a nice addition to any tuto, example files always nice to help understand things (could save lot of time finding mistake while learning). ;)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

On the top left is a menu, ctrl+s should also work.

And where are those "nexgen parts"?

There's no command I can see on that screen, or in the menu about downloading anything. Could you please tell me exactly what to do step by step. It shouldn't be this difficult. There is a grayed out "open" menu item.

Edited by Gus

'Ultralight' Series is now out. I'll be condensing the original style into a 'legacy' release that is a lot more memory efficient. Once that's done I'll post it as a separate link in the original post.

I have an issue. When I use the cockpits from this mod (or some other mods, too) there are no kerbonaut portraits on the bottom right side of the screen, and so there is no button to send them to EVA and take advantage of this awesome mod. Can something be done about it, or am I just doing something wrong?

Guys apparently there may be an issue with this download corrupting older saves using previous iterations. As a rule always make sure you have your persistent save file backed up somewhere so you don't lose your ships. If you overwrite your existing HSH folder with the newest release, there may be issues. I did not do much testing mixing the older and newer parts. Some of them are probably named the same and are causing issues.

I'll look into this.

I have an issue. When I use the cockpits from this mod (or some other mods, too) there are no kerbonaut portraits on the bottom right side of the screen, and so there is no button to send them to EVA and take advantage of this awesome mod. Can something be done about it, or am I just doing something wrong?

Any time you have a cockpit or crew containing part which does not have an IVA view you will need to click around the hatch. When you get the window, it will then give you the option to 'EVA' any kerbals in the part. Even stock parts used to work this way. Also, any part that has an IVA view will still work this way as well.

So apparently this new release is a collection of BRAND NEW parts only.

It does NOT contain the old (legacy) parts.

So I guess that means, in this particular case, I do NOT want to delete the GameData/HSH folder prior to installation or I would lose all the old parts.

Out of habit, I deleted my old HSH folder and then installed the new update. When I realized my mistake, I went to the top of this page and downloaded your "legacy" file and re-installed the old parts.

Now everything seems fine except that I have 2 vultures.

Awesome looking part collection by the way. :)

Edited by Gus
tone

The new release causes my game to crash whenever I enter VAB or SPH on my old save that has several structures built using this mod. It works with the new save, hovever, although still crashes the game frequently.

The new release causes my game to crash whenever I enter VAB or SPH on my old save that has several structures built using this mod. It works with the new save, hovever, although still crashes the game frequently.

The new release does NOT contain the old parts. Apparently it should be simply installed into your previously existing HSH folder WITHOUT DELETING THE PREVIOUS VERSION or you will lose your old parts.

Try installing the legacy release into your HSH folder. That fixed the problem for me. See my above post #167.

Edited by Gus

I didn't realize that was the case. In what sense is the game unplayable? Does it crash or not load parts? Oddly enough this was pulled straight from my testing installation of KSP, at least I thought...

I didn't realize that was the case. In what sense is the game unplayable? Does it crash or not load parts? Oddly enough this was pulled straight from my testing installation of KSP, at least I thought...

The game became unplayable when it stopped producing a "world view". The interface was there, but just black behind it. Also, the legacy parts do not load since they are not in the mod. :)

Edited by Gus