[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

I followed coolmodi's reasoning with the V8 parts and made them MUCH more usable. My off-the-cuff estimate is 500MB of memory savings with the smaller-sized textures. Most of the textures were downsized from 1024^2 to 256^2 with no noticeable reduction in the parts' aesthetic appeal. A few simple textures went to 64^2 or even 1^2. Here's a package for you, if you want to use it: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~eppower/HSH_v8_smaller_TGAs.zip.

One suggestion for the mod: large landing struts that match the design scheme.

Cheers,

attosecond

So, i "optimized" all textures myself.

Seeing that Alskari probably didn't had the time I'll share them here for anybody who has the same problem that i had, beeing unable to play with this great mod ;)

I reduced the size to something more resonable for each texture (1024x1024 down to 1x1 for one color for example), and made everyone without transparency into a .tga.

The mod takes only ~200mb for me now, compared to the ~1gb before! But more important, the game is stable now, even after adding 2 other mods :D

http://coolmodi.tipido.net/HSHalttexture.rar

If it's not ok to share that here, pls tell and i will delete it :)

There may be some "bugs" left, but i couldn't find obvious ones anymore.

First off, I think I resolved the vulture issue. Although to be honest I'm not sure what exactly resolved the vulture issue, as I just deleted the duplicate .cfg files and replaced the existing models. Tested fine for me, but please let me know if you guys are having problems.

I followed coolmodi's reasoning with the V8 parts and made them MUCH more usable. My off-the-cuff estimate is 500MB of memory savings with the smaller-sized textures. Most of the textures were downsized from 1024^2 to 256^2 with no noticeable reduction in the parts' aesthetic appeal. A few simple textures went to 64^2 or even 1^2. Here's a package for you, if you want to use it: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~eppower/HSH_v8_smaller_TGAs.zip.

One suggestion for the mod: large landing struts that match the design scheme.

Cheers,

attosecond

Two questions:

A) Where are you getting 500MB memory savings for the V8 pack? Are you talking in terms of RAM while KSP is running?

B) What program are you using to shrink these .tga files? The 'legacy' parts are dead simple as far as textures, but he V8 have AO shading baked in. I'm surprised visual issues don't arise from reducing those.

Alright, here is Alskari's HSH Starter Kit

Warranty void upon download. All methods and examples guaranteed to be inefficient and sub par. ;-)

The blender file in there is where I usually start playing around with new designs. Don't expect any of the models in that to be the exact same as their finished versions. I usually screw around until I get something roughly like I want, and then save as a separate file to clean up and finish.

The gimp file is just a source for my various base colors. Glass is usually a 25% opacity. I also usually layer the AO bake on top of the base color I want and then knock it down to 25% opacity as well.

I've had problems sharing Unity projects, so I've just included a few pictures for a basic idea on how I set things up.

A) Where are you getting 500MB memory savings for the V8 pack? Are you talking in terms of RAM while KSP is running?

Yes, RAM savings.

B) What program are you using to shrink these .tga files? The 'legacy' parts are dead simple as far as textures, but he V8 have AO shading baked in. I'm surprised visual issues don't arise from reducing those.

I used Photoshop CS5 and selected the "bicubic sharper" option in the image re-sizing tool.

Wooah, so long since i visisted your thread and found it full of win. (Y)

You really have put alot of work and love into these parts! Screens are coming soon hehe cheers!

edi

v7InqbI.png

Edited by ahappydude

• 2 weeks later...
It is not working in 0.22, causes the game to crash while loading.

It is working, check your RAM usage while the game loads. If it hits ~3,7GB it will crash.

With .22 my RAM usage went up a LOT, but changing textures to "half res" droped it to ~2GB from 3,6+ and crashing ;)

I'm still having that crash when entering WAB or SPH with the new mod installed. I'm somewhat nooby - wich file from a ccrash report do I need to send so you could see what's happening?

Same for you, check ram usage, that's probably your problem too.

PS: You can check that with opening KSP in windowed mode and leaving the task manager besides it. Like that:

to6p748kdu.png

Edited by coolmodi

No matter what I do I just cant seem to get this mod to work. Iv downloaded it, got the plugin all put in the right spot I think and still nothing in game. Not sure what im doing wrong. Any advise with this would be helpful, and I would not be supprised if im not putting it in the ksp folder right.

So I guess Exactly how do I put this in the folder, do I just extract it to the ksp main folder or put each folder in the its spot, because when I extracted it, all it do was make a new folder and still did not work.

Help would be very much welcomed, thanks

No matter what I do I just cant seem to get this mod to work. Iv downloaded it, got the plugin all put in the right spot I think and still nothing in game. Not sure what im doing wrong. Any advise with this would be helpful, and I would not be supprised if im not putting it in the ksp folder right.

So I guess Exactly how do I put this in the folder, do I just extract it to the ksp main folder or put each folder in the its spot, because when I extracted it, all it do was make a new folder and still did not work.

This mod hasn't been updated for 0.22, so it doesn't have tech tree info for the parts.

The HSH folder should be placed in the gamedata folder. The parts should then be available in sandbox mode only.

Hey I realize this works on .22 sandbox, but it seems that I'm missing some parts. I can't find any wall or floor sections for the hallway parts. In the OP I see that those parts exist from the imgur album. Any idea how to get these parts?

There is a "legacy" file in the OP that might have what you're looking for. The OP hasn't made the floor/wall sections yet for the new Ultralite parts yet. You can use those fuel tank walls for now or maybe one of those plate adapters.

honestly, im sorry to say but this mod uses insane amounts of ram. like, i can use NP and KW andB9 and alot of others, but if i use this mod with almost ANY other mod i start getting crashes ( i almost always run on lowest settings, 8th res, 1600x900 windowed incase you need to know.

If you look a couple of pages back, someone has made replacements for the texture files. These result in some huge memory savings apparently. I haven't tried it yet, but this may be an option.

If you're talking about me then those were for the old version.

I haven't changed the textures for the newer one as my RAM usage skyrocketed with 0.22 and i had to put texture size to "half res" anyway. (RAM went down from 3,7GB++crash to ~2.2GB doing that) I had to clear the gamedata folder (put the mod stuff into another folder) to even start the game after the update. Then i switched to half res and put the mods back in.

@123nick: If you really have 1/8 res, then i don't know why it does not work.

I have 1/2 and this mod (with it's original textures), B9(with the "low" res ones) and some other mods, and i don't go over 2,5GB. That's ~1,2GB until it starts crashing

Edited by coolmodi

• 1 month later...

Havent seen Alskari post in a while but i recently tried it for 0.23 and as long as you add the science part and {

Part you can still use them, they are still a great set for making stations! And if you use the memory usage plugin you get las cpu usage =)

Havent seen Alskari post in a while but i recently tried it for 0.23 and as long as you add the science part and {

Part you can still use them, they are still a great set for making stations! And if you use the memory usage plugin you get las cpu usage =)

Yeah, but this is WIP. IE, not finished, indev. It has a ton of unimplemented stuff, etc. And if it is abandoned, than one update or another WILL break it. :(

It is not forgotten. I've gotten the itch again to play KSP, and that always leads into modding. It will probably take me another month to get caught up on things and involved enough to make an update with worthwhile content additions.

Apologies for my unannounced hiatus.

It is not forgotten. I've gotten the itch again to play KSP, and that always leads into modding. It will probably take me another month to get caught up on things and involved enough to make an update with worthwhile content additions.

Apologies for my unannounced hiatus.

This is how I feel right now: