[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

It is not forgotten. I've gotten the itch again to play KSP, and that always leads into modding. It will probably take me another month to get caught up on things and involved enough to make an update with worthwhile content additions.

Apologies for my unannounced hiatus.

Apologies for my impatience, but I really want to see some progress. Do you have a facebook page or blog that you post updates on? (Sorry if this comes across as selfish or rude.)

Edited by nianor

• 4 weeks later...

Aww crap I didn't even notice you people posting on my thread. I'm sorry for my continued negligence. I couldn't figure out how to get kerbals to display as I wanted without lots of irritating bugs. I'm going to continue chasing that, but in the mean time I've been idly modelling out some assorted ideas. These will probably all be more base oriented.

If Gus hasn't gotten sick of me I'll be providing him with some new parts to beta test before long.

I appreciate the comments and deserve any frustration. Expect at least a few new parts by the end of this week.

EDIT: Everything is going to be structural in nature. I don't have the willpower to redo all of my Unity 4.3.3 animations in Unity 4.2. Apparently the .24 update should add Unity 4.3.3 support, so I'm going to wait for that.

Edited by Alskari

Can people who actually use this mod (probably 3 of you) be so kind as to help me condense my parts list? I know I have about a bazillion parts, made worse by KSP's root node issue, and I'd like to cull that down just a bit. Otherwise I'm going to just start hacking away until I think I have something manageable.

TL;DR - What parts should I remove?

hi, I have a little problem ...

how to make wall and floor on the "modular allway"

thank you in advance;)

Hmmmm I think I usually use a fuel tank, or a plug and port. I remember be desperate to cut parts anywhere possible.... so if there aren't floors/walls I bet that's why. Honestly I apologize if you're having trouble. A brighter tomorrow is coming, it'll just be a smidgen longer. I nearly have the kinks worked out and Gus is going to help me as well.

hi, ok ;) thank you for your answer.

If you need help with 3d makes me know ... I'm a beginner, but maybe I can help;)

I have a post here that provides a bit of an example of what I do. I need to update it, but if you are interested in helping then this is probably a good starting place. Feel free to post questions here, but the Add-On Development forum has a lot of resources already available so I'd make that the first stop when you run into problems.

As I get everything up to what I consider acceptable, I will be looking for more unique parts to add rather than just structural components. Generators, science stuff, telescopes, Remote Tech stuff, Kethane stuff.

Very minor content update. Added a wonky chair and a few other things. Incorporated coolmodi's texture reduction. Also added the starting tech requirement. So it should be .23 ready.

Other stuff is in the works, but I thought I'd at least get this stuff done for the weekend. Just as a warning... I'm planning on getting rid of the 'Frame' structures and replacing them with something a bit less wonky to work with. Also the 'modular hallways' will be going away and getting replaced.

In general I'm not pleased with the shape of the original parts and will be working them over to a more cubic appearance. This will also help reduce the issues caused by KSP's root node orientation issues.

Love the mod but prob had more luck with the old version, the new version has all the grapical glitches on the parts I dont know whats causing it but its preventing me from even testing them out ill try and post a pic or a vid or something later to show what im talking about. Looks like the parts are strobe lights flickering from grey to black its crazy.

Love the mod but prob had more luck with the old version, the new version has all the grapical glitches on the parts I dont know whats causing it but its preventing me from even testing them out ill try and post a pic or a vid or something later to show what im talking about. Looks like the parts are strobe lights flickering from grey to black its crazy.

I've only tested these with Kethane, maybe something else is causing it? Otherwise I'm not certain what the issue would be. I'll take another look when you have pictures or a video.

What was the issue? (And thanks!)

Figured out it was boulder memory redcution doesnt play nice with this mod, we had a video up and linked but i took it down when i figured out it wasnt your mod i forgot i had it installed on my vanilla game to lol. Ill send you a link to the vid tomar.

2s009kv.png

Still working on a stuff. Plugin progress is still very slow. I have gotten RPM in the pods and they display information even from EVA. Eventually I hope to make a custom monitor for this mod, but that is a low priority.

Any plans for stock looking 1.25m diameter parts? (straight parts, 90 degree bends, T, X and 5/6 way junctions would be "useful" on compact space stations, especially if it has internal pre-populated ladders for lower part count.

Is there some way to make 2 connected docking ports act as a crew hatch? basically if on the other side of 2 docking ports there is a command pod, allow right-clicking the back of the port connected to the hollow stuff to enter the command pod, and similarly right-clicking the docking port on the station to make someone in the pod EVA.

:D LOVE the progress. Keep it coming! The screenshots give me something to freak about. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. The process can be frustrating sometimes.

Any plans for stock looking 1.25m diameter parts? (straight parts, 90 degree bends, T, X and 5/6 way junctions would be "useful" on compact space stations, especially if it has internal pre-populated ladders for lower part count.

I actually have a cubic set of parts in progress now with a variety of adapters and junctions. They will come in 1m, 2m, & 4m sizes. I chose these sizes so that engine sizes could be a bit more flexible, meaning that the 1m parts can slickly conceal .625m engines or have an 1.25m hanging off the end. I'll also be making some offset pieces so you can place two 1.25m engines on two 1m cubes.

Is there some way to make 2 connected docking ports act as a crew hatch? basically if on the other side of 2 docking ports there is a command pod, allow right-clicking the back of the port connected to the hollow stuff to enter the command pod, and similarly right-clicking the docking port on the station to make someone in the pod EVA.

I am not very comfortable using C# currently and what you are referring to is something that I think would require a plugin. I may not understand the question tho.

Given the beauty of these parts, and their possibilities, have you considered creating ModuleManager Configs to support ConnectedLivingSpace? I'm incorporating that API into Ship Manifest, and plan to take advantage of moving kerbals around extended and multiple living spaces.

Thanks! And for the time being I don't think it is core to what I'm trying to achieve, meaning that I want kerbals bouncing around ship/station interiors trying to get from place to place. However if you have an alternative to the sfr code for displaying kerbals while in IVA I would gladly try it out.

Edited by Alskari

...I am not very comfortable using C# currently and what you are referring to is something that I think would require a plugin. I may not understand the question tho...

You are right, it would take a plugin, and Connected LivingSpaces is working out space recognition vessel wide, to determine which spaces are "connected", meaning a Kerbal "could" travel to these spaces internally, without EVA.

codepoet is actually discussing hatches and opening and closing. so the framework is being built to do a lot of crew stuff.

... Thanks! And for the time being I don't think it is core to what I'm trying to achieve, meaning that I want kerbals bouncing around ship/station interiors trying to get from place to place. However if you have an alternative to the sfr code for displaying kerbals while in IVA I would gladly try it out.

I see where you are going. Actual interior views that can be "walked" in? Very cool, and that is not the direction codepoet's api is going. he is setting up a means to determine where kerbal can move internally. Still helpful, but not core to what you are doing for sure.

codepoet is actually discussing hatches and opening and closing. so the framework is being built to do a lot of crew stuff.

The sfr code has some functionality as far as hatches opening and closing already. Obviously it has other issues though.

Any help with displaying just kerbals from an internal model would be amazing. I may beg codepoet for some help.