MechJeb Review

For some people the answer is yes it does. The reason why is that they see two things happening.

1. Lots of users talking about and asking questions about something which in their mind is worthless. These people waste bandwidth, forum space and just clog up the forum with worthless stuff making it hard to find things of true value. It also wastes their time as they have to constantly try and set people right.

2. They see developer talent going to waste doing something they do not approve of. I've seen this type of argument in flight sims where the serious pilots, i.e. the ones that fly only big iron complain that the small plane users who want better terrain are wasting the time and efforts of developers with eye candy demands. Time that could be better spent on making the big iron simulation better. I also saw this in Orbitersim where a site that created scifi stuff was put down because they didn't spend time on creating real life space ships and wasted it on make believe ships.

In one respect the developers did real good with KSP because it is scifi through and through. They easily avoid the purest by not having anything that represents reality. KSP is its own world and is not meant to represent Earth's space efforts or the Sol system.

Those 2 reasons make very little sense to me. Devs will do what they want, and I feel it has very little to do with how others like to play games. Worthless topics and questions? What makes their topics and questions any better?

All sounds self centered to me.

No one in their right mind should care about how others play single player games.

MechJeb is overpowerd? :huh:

BWAAAA HA HAA Ha haa ha ha aaahahah ahh.

wow, some people eh ... and I suppose the flight computers on any modern spacecraft .. heck pretty much ANY spacecraft period, are also "overpowered" too?

MechJeb is merely a flight computer. I sometimes let it do stuff for me, and I sometimes just have it show me data.

It's an excellent add-on. IMO it should be incorporated into the game itself.

For some people the answer is yes it does. The reason why is that they see two things happening.

1. Lots of users talking about and asking questions about something which in their mind is worthless. These people waste bandwidth, forum space and just clog up the forum with worthless stuff making it hard to find things of true value. It also wastes their time as they have to constantly try and set people right.

What makes these people think they are right in the first place and have to constantly change other peoples minds? What makes them so special as to determine what is worthless and what is not? Its a single player game and in no way does someone else using Mechjeb or talking about Mechjeb effect them except in their mind. The problem lies within themselves. Its simple to ignore any topics about Mechjeb or ignore the forums completely and enjoy the game all by yourself. They dont have to care about what other people are doing in their single player game.

To say that it is a waste of developer/modder time or talent on something they do not approve of is a very selfish attitude. Again, what makes these anti-mechjeb people think they know best??

To say that it is a waste of developer/modder time or talent on something they do not approve of is a very selfish attitude.

Not denying that it is a selfish attitude, but I think that you may be misinterpreting what he's saying. I'm reasonably sure (could be wrong) that he's just explaining what he thinks of the viewpoint of those who oppose the use of MechJeb and similar addons, as opposed to actively supporting said viewpoint.

What makes these people think they are right in the first place and have to constantly change other peoples minds? What makes them so special as to determine what is worthless and what is not? Its a single player game and in no way does someone else using Mechjeb or talking about Mechjeb effect them except in their mind. The problem lies within themselves. Its simple to ignore any topics about Mechjeb or ignore the forums completely and enjoy the game all by yourself. They dont have to care about what other people are doing in their single player game.

To say that it is a waste of developer/modder time or talent on something they do not approve of is a very selfish attitude. Again, what makes these anti-mechjeb people think they know best??

I dislike mechjeb because it fills the community up with people who can't even play the game properly. They go around making suggestions to the developers and participating in challenges when they probably can't even land on the Mun without using mechjeb. It lowers the skill required to play the game too much. The one thing I really like about this game is that it requires a semi-intelligent person to build a rocket that can make it to the Mun and return to Kerbin. The stock version of KSP requires a willingness to learn in order to be successful.

I dislike mechjeb because it fills the community up with people who can't even play the game properly. They go around making suggestions to the developers and participating in challenges when they probably can't even land on the Mun without using mechjeb. It lowers the skill required to play the game too much. The one thing I really like about this game is that it requires a semi-intelligent person to build a rocket that can make it to the Mun and return to Kerbin. The stock version of KSP requires a willingness to learn in order to be successful.

You mean they don't play the game like how you want them to? OMG what nerve! *sarcasm*

This seems to happen pretty darn often, but what is up with the competition in a single player game? Like I honestly can't find any reason why it matters what others do that has nothing to do with you. Let me ask you, why does it bother you so much how another person plays? Why not just concern yourself with how "you" play?

You said the game requires semi-intelligent people, but I don't see how that speaks true with you playing the game. Maybe knowledgeable, but certainly not intelligent because other wise others using mechjeb wouldn't bother you.

You mean they don't play the game like how you want them to? OMG what nerve! *sarcasm*

This seems to happen pretty darn often, but what is up with the competition in a single player game? Like I honestly can't find any reason why it matters what others do that has nothing to do with you. Let me ask you, why does it bother you so much how another person plays? Why not just concern yourself with how "you" play?

You said the game requires semi-intelligent people, but I don't see how that speaks true with you playing the game. Maybe knowledgeable, but certainly not intelligent because other wise others using mechjeb wouldn't bother you.

Perhaps some of your intelligence got in the way of noticing I was talking about people participating in challenges using mechjeb, which is by no means single player. I know it was buried deep in my comment in the 2nd sentence. I'm sorry to have expected you to read that far.

Perhaps some of your intelligence got in the way of noticing I was talking about people participating in challenges using mechjeb, which is by no means single player. I know it was buried deep in my comment in the 2nd sentence. I'm sorry to have expected you to read that far.

I personally don't see any problem if the challenge-maker doesn't specifically forbid MechJeb himself and make it clear that he's doing so when issuing the challenge (as opposed to well after ten or so people have already made submissions under his original rules which specified no such thing).

1. No need to be rude. It reduces the value of your speech, and ideas.

2. I use mechjeb for all of my mun landings. Of course, I'm also in the Mach 6 club for the Maching Bird Challenge, and managed it without intake spam.

3. By not banning a mod, the Dev's are setting spectacular precedence of cooperation with the community, which is a stand out for me. The nature of the mod itself, and the "lowering of the bar" so to speak, only benefits you. How many of those people, that would have been turned off by the difficulty of it, paid money for the product, money that will go into future development, because they knew there was a mod out there that would help them do the things they had difficulty with?

4. Your elitist attitude, couple with your self aggrandizing, which leads you to believe that only people of your caliber can make suggestions to the devs, or compete in challenges, is in direct opposition to the spirit of dev interaction and the purpose of the challenge.

Finally: Not everyone is a pilot, some people are engineers, they like the challenge of the build. I count myself among them. The flying is long and tedious. I mean, I'm building a 30 man base on Duna, I dont want to manually fly every single one of the 60 some odd flights it's going to take. And yes, participating in challenges is single player, with a public display of results.

Edited by KinkyFerrets
Missed a tense >.>

No, I noticed, however, if it is against the rules then you simply say so in the competition. If it's not against the rules then your argument sucks. It's not exactly hard to tell when someone is using it. So I do not see the issue.

Another one of these threads? Why do you people keep doing this? The OP itself is fine I guess, but come on...what is wrong with the rest of you? Stop. Just stop. There is no argument to win, no point to make, no reasons to debate, nothing. The game is singleplayer. Mechjeb exists. Don't like it? Don't use it. The magnitude of presumptuous ignorance it takes for one to tell another how to play a singleplayer game is absolutely hilarious.

For all of you whining purists, quit while you're behind. The only people who care about how you play are...you.

I dislike mechjeb because it fills the community up with people who can't even play the game properly. ... ... The stock version of KSP requires a willingness to learn in order to be successful.

And what exactly IS this alleged "proper" way to play this game, eh? Where exactly is this "proper" method of playing laid out in detail?

And re: "stock version" .. you know, because this alpha software is absolutely feature complete. Why would anyone deign to play it with any mods installed?

I suppose if you're not playing 100% stock KSP, your not playing the game "properly"??

And of course any real-world astronaut who doesn't manually fly his spacecraft from the ground to ISS docking is not doing it "properly" either. Because of course flight-computers and auto-pilots have no place on such a technical piece of hardware like a spacecraft.

One thing MechJeb is really really good for is determining whether a rocket design actually IS workable. If MechJeb can get it to orbit, then it's possible for someone to do it manually. But if a person can't get their hard-built rocket into orbit, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not flyable.

Also, MechJeb (and other add-ons) give much needed data that the stock game doesn't provide. Yet.

Another one of these threads? Why do you people keep doing this?
The game is singleplayer.

The Kerbal Space Program game is single player. The Kerbal Space Program forums are multiplayer, and they can even be won. Note I said nothing about truth or correctness, victory conditions have nothing to do with them. Just people being social without, at the same time, being civil. :)

Personally I would have to say Mechjeb is a spectacular mod, for an autopilot function. The Mod creator gets a gold star from me for effort in building this mod. The newest pre release build is astounding, Jeb can launch, orbit, land, dock, transfer all by itself. It gives data to the user if needed and its accurate to my assumption. Sometimes it does seem to use A LOT more fuel opposed to when I am at the controls. When I fly by WASD there are times I can complete a complete launch,orbit,docking, and landing, some to most times successful. Personally I consider myself a tester of all others creations, the game being in alpha is one of them in constant testing, along with all mods and parts created. This Game KSP is an astounding game Best purchase I have ever made aside from my pc ;D .

This is only referring to original post about a MechJeb review nothing else intended by this post at all.

I don't bother with belittling people and their opinions that's their opinion they're entitled to it.

If anyone wants to voice a complaint about using mechjeb, don't bother I will not respond to it.

Have a Great Day creating some spectacular bases, Stations on those far away rocks or gas giants.

Also remember .....crap just crashed into my solar panels....sike hah

This makes me feel stupid...

In any case, I've learned my lesson. If this thread needs to be locked, I will not object.

You shouldn't. You stepped on a landmine that shouldn't have been there. Mechjeb is unfortunately a touchy subject because there are those, as has been seen, who dislike it and want the world to feel the same as they do, which bring out those that want to defend it...and yeah...

As I said in my earlier post, it is a great mod, but it is not infallible. And that's okay. I can't count the number of time I've caught and save it from a mistake...or stopped paying attention to a design I thought was safe and ended up with an early landing.

Can I just be the monkey that feeds the monkey that pushes the button?

Here read this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_rendezvous

It's not a bad pilot that can't dock in orbit, it's a well trained one that follows proceedures and uses the computer to achieve the impossible. That's what mechjeb is. Or you can play space ranger spiff and try it manually, but at a billion dollars a pop, just use the computer.

Edited by ThePyrateCaptain
Missing info

Okay, I know this argument is probably intractable and will go on ad-infintium. I have this to say:

This game is open and flexible, play it how you want. That's the joy of a game like this that's s blank canvas. Some people use MechJeb, some don't. Some people like Mods, some don't. Some people prefer developing SSTOs, others prefer rockets. Some people mix and match everything. That's the beauty of a sim like this. It's your baby, do what you like. I really congratulate the Squad for making the game so open and flexible that so many different ways to succeed (and fail) exist. I think everyone agrees there.

--- The part below this line is only my opinion and experience ---

For those that want to use it, MechJeb 2.0 is massively impressive. It actually TAUGHT me orbital mechanics. If someone had asked me what a Hohmann Transfer was 2 weeks ago I'd have looked at you gone-out. Now I can explain exactly how they work. Saved me a lot of reading :)

I, personally, am interested in building structures in space and on foreign worlds, and colonising the system. I am not a fly-boy. I don't want to break any altitude records on 2 quarts of Vodka, I want to develop reliable and proven systems I know I can use to get stuff *up there* and build my little empire in space. Along the way I'll develop cool stuff and work out how to get rid of all my space junk, build on orbit and resupply my stations and colonies. I don't want the routine junk to get in the way.

BUT that's just me, I want to play like that, it doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

Edited by MDBenson
Typos

Okay, I know this argument is probably intractable and will go on ad-infintium. I have this to say:

This game is open and flexible, play it how you want. That's the joy of a game like this that's s blank canvas. Some people use MechJeb, some don't. Some people like Mods, some don't. Some people prefer developing SSTOs, others prefer rockets. Some people mix and match everything. That's the beauty of a sim like this. It's your baby, do what you like. I really congratulate the Squad for making the game so open and flexible that so many different ways to succeed (and fail) exist. I think everyone agrees there.

--- The part below this line is only my opinion and experience ---

For those that want to use it, MechJeb 2.0 is massively impressive. It actually TAUGHT me orbital mechanics. If someone had asked me what a Hohmann Transfer was 2 weeks ago I'd have looked at you gone-out. Now I can explain exactly how they work. Saved me a lot of reading :)

I, personally, am interested in building structures in space and on foreign worlds, and colonising the system. I am not a fly-boy. I don't want to break any altitude records on 2 quarts of Vodka, I want to develop reliable and proven systems I know I can use to get stuff *up there* and build my little empire in space. Along the way I'll develop cool stuff and work out how to get rid of all my space junk, build on orbit and resupply my stations and colonies. I don't want the routine junk to get in the way.

BUT that's just me, I want to play like that, it doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

Indeed. It's your copy of the game,no one has the right to tell you how to play it.

All Valid points and towards the debris in the game my heart almost dropped a beat when I was coasting into a docking maneuver and the leftover fuel tanks that were jettisoned from the SS Mako X1 were in my way of the refuel tanker TUG. Damn mech Jeb speeding up time hahahahahah

"Indeed. It's your copy of the game,no one has the right to tell you how to play it." - ShroomofDoom

Well said!

Edited by Kendawg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.