[v1.2]KSP - Silisko Edition

NovaSilisko

Silisko, this is a great pack you have here! Can\'t wait to see what you come up with next. Though I want to second zoff\'s request for some lander legs that would fit inside your 2-meter fairings, if that\'s possible!

Edit:VVVVV

Those look like some new lander legs, awwwww yeeeeeah.

I am quite excited for 0.7. seems like you\'ve got the balance just right for some really fun Mun rockets, and I\'m loving the fit-in-fairingness of those lander legs, even if they may make my generally quite tall two-stage landers a bit iffy.

I\'m waiting for 0.12 till I update my mods, but do those side-mount RCS tanks drain properly? And symmetrically?

Properly-yes, as of the latest experimental, although for me (and at least a few others) they used to drain before any other tanks no matter where they were located.

Symmetrically-no, but as of right now they don\'t lose mass as they drain so as to not destabilize your rocket.

kerbalspaceprogram20111i.png

I\'d say we\'re good.

Very similar to my design, except that I had a larger two-stage lander (and added some fuel and initial thrust to get that to orbit)

WTB 2-meter Liquid tank that is half has tall as the smaller 2M tank. Would make perfect lower stage tank for a two stage lander. Current 2M tank is just a tad big/tall. It works, but I land with 50-65% fuel remaining unless I spend a lot of fuel on Mun orbit doing plane changes etc.

(Also WTB animated lander legs so I don\'t have to fly with the legs sticking outside the rocket at liftoff, but yeah... I know... requires major KSP code change, so coming 'some day' together with extendable solar panels etc)

Yeah. Until I can make them drain symmetrically, I\'m going to have them stay the same weight empty as full.

Any idea what causes the fact that upper RCS tanks (yellow 'balls') drain first, not the lower ones. I have four tanks at the upper lander stage, eight at the lower stage (designed to be left behind on the Mun) and another four at the 'collar' of the third stage, designed to fuel RCS use before TLI completion.

...and it uses up the four attached to the uppermost stage first, leading into... problems.

That\'s strange, mine drain from the lowest stage upwards. Post .craft file?

I\'ll post it when I get home but effectively I have a ring of four yellow 'ball tanks' at several locations - four around the 'capsule' (well, right under it, attached to a decoupler that separates capsule from mini liquid tank), eight around a decoupler that attaches top stage to lower lander stage and four around a decoupler that attaches third stage to the lander lower stage.

It always drains the ones around the capsule decoupler first, then those around the lander (and never gets to those around third stage before third stage is discarded).

That\'s strange, mine drain from the lowest stage upwards. Post .craft file?

Mine use to drain the yellow radial tanks before anything. It was fixed either by 0.12x3 or by putting the radial tanks on a fuel tank instead of a decoupler. Not sure which.

Mine use to drain the yellow radial tanks before anything. It was fixed either by 0.12x3 or by putting the radial tanks on a fuel tank instead of a decoupler. Not sure which.

Well, in my case only RCS tanks present are the radial tanks and they are all connected to decouplers. And they drain from top of the stack and down. Pod tanks first, then lander tanks, then upper booster stage tanks. Very annoying - and yes, happens even with 0.12x3. In fact my first x3 Mun landing ended up lithobraking due to badly timed 'out of RCS fuel' caused by this issue.

Kryten: I dunno how you did that.

Same rocket launching my payload (which is slightly bigger, but that THAT much) a 2 tank 1st stage gets to 20k without boosters and 35k with 6 boosters.

If I swap the 4x engines for Bertha, it gets to 40k.

rate up and out on 2 tanks pretty easy.

What kind of throttle settings are you using? It needs about 30% thrust with the boosters, but after that it needs about 80%-if your first stages are all similar to the rocket you posted earlier-the small engines combined with large tanks-then thrust could be your issue-you\'re taking it too slow.

What kind of throttle settings are you using? It needs about 30% thrust with the boosters, but after that it needs about 80%-if your first stages are all similar to the rocket you posted earlier-the small engines combined with large tanks-then thrust could be your issue-you\'re taking it too slow.

If your throttle setting is anywhere under 100% at all times you don\'t have enough fuel. >=(

I\'ve had pod tanks drain first and last within the same version-I think it might depend on the order in which you place RCS tanks onto the rocket.

Hmm, a theory worth testing. I do know that when building the initial rocket, I added them top-down... time to strip them out, save, then re-apply at reverse order.

Is the engine thrust on this thing a little off-centre? Every time i trottle up in-space my lander veers off to the side...

Could be related to the general reports that 0.12 experimental causes ships under thrust to veer off to the side.

I\'ve had pod tanks drain first and last within the same version-I think it might depend on the order in which you place RCS tanks onto the rocket.

Yeah it was happening to me too; Believe it was happened when you placed them early in the built as you build from the top, down. After the rockets done, I just moved them and placed them right back and they were used last.

I\'ll let you guys debate the fuel thing, Nova is tired of hearing from me.

Yeah it was happening to me too; Believe it was happened when you placed them early in the built as you build from the top, down. After the rockets done, I just moved them and placed them right back and they were used last.

I\'ll let you guys debate the fuel thing, Nova is tired of hearing from me.

Confirming this. It becomes a non-issue if you just place the RCS tanks last and do it from bottom up. Just tried it.

Is the engine thrust on this thing a little off-centre? Every time i trottle up in-space my lander veers off to the side...

Yes I\'ve noticed that too! For a while I thought it was the legs causing the imbalance but got the same results without them.