[v1.2]KSP - Silisko Edition

NovaSilisko

SE_logo.png

Over the past few weeks months I\'ve been quietly publicly working on my own edit of a default KSP install, intended as a complete overhaul of the game balance and difficulty. Major tweaks of fuel weight, new types of parts, engine thrust, and part weight are used to create a more realistic gameplay model, where getting large things long distances takes a considerable amount of effort.

The main issue with this is that it effectively kills all compatibility with previous mods. There\'s no getting around that. I decided to stop going against people who mix parts with this pack. It\'s sandbox mode only for now, and I\'m balancing this for the future campaign mode.

A fuel to weight ratio of 100 to 1 differs strongly from most other part packs, but has been adopted for simplicity and ease of balancing. Engine thrust and consumption has been balanced around this.

Despite the focus on realism, much of the balancing is done by feel. I\'m trying not to let realism get in the way of gameplay.

IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

[list type=decimal]

[li]Download a fresh copy of KSP[/li]

[li]Install it into a new folder[/li]

[li]Go into the 'Parts' folder[/li]

[li]Delete everything in there, and replace it with the contents of KSP - Silisko Edition.zip[/li]

TO UPDATE KSP OR THIS PACK

• [li]Upon a KSP update, install it as normal, then install Silisko Edition over it as detailed above[/li]
    [li]To update the pack, delete the contents of the parts folder and re-extract the new file into it[/li]

DO NOT extract this pack over an existing KSP install! Bad things will happen!

You can get the 1.2 release here (16.8 mb):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/575558/KSP/KSP%20Silisko%20Edition%201.2.zip

Mirror:

http://www./?gfp78032aovm2i1

Please report any problems you can think of.

Screenshots:

ss20120110163917.jpgss20120111011009.pngss20120111011346.png

Old screenshots:

ss20111219201918.pngss20111118221029.pngss20111118221149.png

ss20111219173636h.pngss20111219201941.pngss20111219202119.png

Here\'s a closeup of the command and service modules

ss20111005204343.jpg

And, I\'m not really focusing on realism in terms of physics, I\'m trying to make a balanced gameplay experience more than anything else. But I suppose you could say I\'m taking what he did to the next level.

Here\'s a closeup of the command and service modules

ss20111005204343.jpg

And, I\'m not really focusing on realism in terms of physics, I\'m trying to make a balanced gameplay experience more than anything else. But I suppose you could say I\'m taking what he did to the next level.

I really like the service module. Will you be releasing it as a separate mod part for the primary game?

I really like the service module. Will you be releasing it as a separate mod part for the primary game?

Possibly. Eventually it will have a function of being able to choose fractions of life support, RCS fuel, and normal fuel. Of course, that\'s only if HarvesteR likes the idea.

I like all the work you put into this, and it certainly looks promising.

However.

I don\'t think it\'s good to effectively edit the game so that nothing else works, or even influence the core game. If you started such a thing after the main release, fine, but until then I think it\'s better for the whole game to be compatible with each other.

Work on addons, and have some patience - do proposals ( such as making it possible to say which % of a service model is life support ) to harvester / other devs, instead of just writing them.

I wouldn\'t use some sort of KSPNovaSilisko when I got the real KSP with all it\'s mods and continuing development.

Patience; the game is still being developed, and if you want to rebalance the game, heck, make a proposal towards harvester for some scheme to load diffirent gravity / fuel consumption / parts - before doing it all yourself.

I can see parallels with some minecraft development where notch added wolves ( wooh..) and other modders then added windmills, elevators, hemp, cement, milling stones, water power, etc etc etc- but I don\'t think that this game is at that stage, not nearly. I think it might actually hurt to have 2 totally diffirent, seperate game versions. I imagine you\'d get way, way more attention and usage out of your parts if you just asked harvester to implement a super class of elements - IE a realistic version of parts, a default version and the novasilisko version of parts - each of these versions would then again be divided into engines, fuel tanks, control, pods, etc etc etc.

This would, I imagine, be not really hard -and would not break any other mods!

While you\'re here, could I just beg you, even if your attention is here, to make a repack of your previous mod package, with fixed textures * the only item that has the problem is the medium bertha, afaik ) and a NovaSilisko prefix in the map folder names? that\'d be much appreciated! ;D

Very interesting. I\'ll be watching this space ;)

A noble effort, things will definitely need a rebalance before Munshots are really feasible on the common computer. I know its possible with stock parts, but you need so many LFTs and the struts to stabilize the monsters... too many systems can\'t handle it.

The scaled-up, longer burning parts in mods packs are much more manageable and fun, even if they lack balance.

A noble effort, things will definitely need a rebalance before Munshots are really feasible on the common computer. I know its possible with stock parts, but you need so many LFTs and the struts to stabilize the monsters... too many systems can\'t handle it.

I wouldn\'t be so negative... a two stage rocket with 6 SRBs has enough dV to do a circumlunar mission. If the moon parameters are in proportion to our own, I bet that a 2-tank second stage with Sunday Punch\'s light SAS and decouplers (launched by a 3-tank tri-stack) will do Apollo 8 easily. Add a third stage, and I believe that nothing more will be needed for a direct ascent lunar mission.

Actually, with the laaaarge mass penalties of the current stock engines and decouplers, direct ascent will probably be EASIER than LOR....