[0.90] LazTek SpaceX Launch, Exploration, Colonial Transporter & Historic mods (1/25/14)

LazarusLuan

Are gonna do the FalconX and the Falcon X Heavy? If so thats what I request for the .24 update lol. Seriously though there are modders who choose form over function, there are modders who choose function over form, finally there are modders who choose realism over form or function. This mod is functional, its beautiful, and they look just like the real things. That puts you in an elite group on these forums. Not many accomplish all of those things and you nailed them all. Congratulations! Very well done. Think about the FalconX and the FalconX Heavy. Those things are massive and with the new joint stabilization in the .23.5 update totally possible. Keep it up.

:Edit they are going to be massive.

Thanks - I appreciate your comments. I already have these and my version of the new Raptor 1A methane engines modeled for 3.75m and am currently doing textures. I will work on a 3.75m colonization and asteroid towing package after the SpaceX Super Heavy Lift pack is released.

Edited by LazarusLuan

Lazarus, The RCS is great. Unfortunate that it has to be implemented this way, but when placed in the right spot the transforms match perfect and looks as good as it performs. Thank you so much!

Edited by RedAV8R

Lazarus, The RCS is great, when placed in the right spot the transforms match perfect and looks as good as it performs. Thank you so much!

You're welcome! I still have a lot of detail to finish, but here's a preview of the Falcon X Heavy Explorer in testing:

13988967955_ec692d36ae_b.jpg

ITS HUGE!!! Amazing!! Is it slated to to have Dragon on top of it or is it strictly a heavy lifter?

The Dragon explorer craft is at the top in the image, which demonstrates the massive size of the Falcon X Heavy. Each core uses 3 Raptor engines, each generating over 1, 000, 000 lbs of thrust. For my upcoming SpaceX Falcon X Super Heavy Lift pack I've also created a 5m expanded fairing and base for the top. After this, it's on to the really big ship: the Falcon XX Mars Colonial Transport...

LazarusLuan,

Your work is magnificent. I love this mod. However I am running out of 32bit space and have already cut all the corners there is. I see that this mod alone in the standard format is over 300mb. I am already running ATM and low res. Any chance I could request an even lower format of this mod?

Just to show you that my build is not out of the ordinary I post the following picture where you can check out my build space.

BGkb6Y5

If the answer is no, I still love this mod and it would hurt me to cut it. KSP would not be as enjoyable.

Regards,

Edited by Prowler_x1

Bug report,

On some of the stock builds that come with the mod I found that I have no throttle control. Unable to fire engines. I tried manual and Mechjeb. I am sure it is some type of conflict between mods but would like to make sure. the throttle will not leave zero.

regards,

You're welcome! I still have a lot of detail to finish, but here's a preview of the Falcon X Heavy Explorer in testing:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2931/13988967955_ec692d36ae_b.jpg

Just WOW. Cannot wait to actually download the module! Looks amazing as do all your models. Have you given thought to making the dragon cargo capsule to accompany the Dragon Rider?

LazarusLuan,

Your work is magnificent. I love this mod. However I am running out of 32bit space and have already cut all the corners there is. I see that this mod alone in the standard format is over 300mb. I am already running ATM and low res. Any chance I could request an even lower format of this mod?

Just to show you that my build is not out of the ordinary I post the following picture where you can check out my build space.

http://imgur.com/BGkb6Y5

If the answer is no, I still love this mod and it would hurt me to cut it. KSP would not be as enjoyable.

Regards,

I have a low res pack that I'm going to post up shortly that uses only 80MB for both packs, so that should help. The logos look pretty grainy, but it should allow anyone to use it.

What if you took the logos off for the low res pack? I mean some people would say really grainy is better than nothing but for me I would rather them not be there than see distorted graphics. I mean its not for me the normal packs work perfectly fine for me. I mean if people have already set the resolution low in the game I can't imagine what it would look like. Just fruit for thought.

Any chance there is going to be a cargo Dragon to be made? The KerbX one is outdated and doesn't have as much detail. Or are you strictly staying with one Dragon spacecraft?

Well, we still don't REALLY know what the Dragon 2 will look like yet, so I'm just making stuff up for now. I will go ahead with creating a Dragon cargo model to add to the launch pack, but in the meantime, enjoy a sneak preview of the true behemoth: the mighty Falcon XX Mars Colonial Transport...

13993178074_3685a5a24c_b.jpg

I have a low res pack that I'm going to post up shortly that uses only 80MB for both packs, so that should help. The logos look pretty grainy, but it should allow anyone to use it.

Thanks for that. If KSP didn't have such a shallow memory limit I would be running your mod in HD. You're the best...

LazarousLuan,

I am still having issues with the Falcon Heavy. I have tested it on vanilla without problems but on my Modded build I am having some issues.

Cannot throttle up and launch. I am attaching my log bellow. I know your mod is working perfectly and the issue is somewhere in my build. Could you please take a look and point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=w8i2EJ95

Edited by Prowler_x1

I found the flaw.... I rebuilt and tested the craft part by part. The problem is in the original craft file, on the engines. Once the engines got rebuilt the craft was able to launch.... I guess you could call this one a real failure to launch. Had to go back to the VAB for a "faulty seal" lets asume. If anyone is having the same issue and is feeling too lazy to rebuild, drop me a note and I will forward you my rebuilt craft file.

Weird failure, I would still like to know what the flaw was if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks to all and best of luck...

Edited by Prowler_x1

Isn't that a little too many? 108 seems like a good-sized colony, but I don't think it'd fit into a single spacecraft. Remember, they all need to be comfortable, travel to Mars takes time.

Isn't that a little too many? 108 seems like a good-sized colony, but I don't think it'd fit into a single spacecraft. Remember, they all need to be comfortable, travel to Mars takes time.

Elon Musk doesn't seem to think so... he described it as "100 times larger than an SUV, with the ability to deliver 100 colonists to Mars":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Colonial_Transporter

However, the game crashes when I disembark more than 20 kerbals at a time on Duna, so I think a smaller 5-meter craft will work better.

Now is there official concept art for the mars transport is going to look like? Because if thats your design it is amazing!!! If it is an official spacex design I am even more excited because that is going to be epic and you are amazing. Cant wait and amazing work!

Elon Musk doesn't seem to think so... he described it as "100 times larger than an SUV, with the ability to deliver 100 colonists to Mars":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Colonial_Transporter

However, the game crashes when I disembark more than 20 kerbals at a time on Duna, so I think a smaller 5-meter craft will work better.

Could you build it with the ability to land and take off again? Maybe stage the hab module and pop out a return vehicle from the top. Oh and lets not forget that we could convert the atmosphere into fuel.

Take a look at this video for inspiration. I am sure you can come up with a better craft using today's tech.

http://youtu.be/uDWvsdEYSqg