[0.90] LazTek SpaceX Launch, Exploration, Colonial Transporter & Historic mods (1/25/14)

LazarusLuan

Another question: Is the Trunk section deliberately skewed off from 90-degrees? Not an issue, and if it's deliberate I learned something new, but I'd like to know either way. It's bugging my OCD ;)

It's SpaceX's design. After the solar panels deploy, you will see that it gains symmetry.

It's SpaceX's design. After the solar panels deploy, you will see that it gains symmetry.

I thought it probably was as cBBp's Dragon was that was too. In which case, bonus points for accuracy :D

even thou u state neding a 8gig+ system for the hd one no matter what ksp wont use more than 3.7gigs of ram it crashes then at 3.7

but its a awsome pack thou just wish ksp could handle it.

I run the HD SpaceX Pack on an Intel i7 System running Windows 7 with 16GB RAM, 2TB HD and an Nvidia 560 card with 1GB RAM and it works flawlessly at 60 fps+. I really don't know why it wouldn't load on another system with similar specs.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone... I've updated everything to comply with the new folder structure and turned the interior blue lights down by 33%. I can't explain the blue light on the launch pad showing up under the ship, as it appears regardless of the proximity of the capsule to the pad and doesn't stay with the ship after launch. Let me know if there are any other issues before I upload it to the Spaceport and start working on the new landing gear and 3.75m Falcon X super heavy lifting series.

LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack 2.0 [KSP 21.1]

LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack HD 2.0 [KSP 21.1]

Edited by LazarusLuan

I must say I love this pack, Jeb is already on his way to Duna on the red dragon mission. Is there any chance we will see a Falcon X/XX in this pack in the future? I searched the thread and didn't see anyone asking so sorry if i missed it.

Edit: I see your post a few pages back now, they always escape me the first time.

Edited by Jacob M.

Just one observation. I do not want to start a flame war, I genuinely want to understand:

Why do both of the Dragon capsules I've tried have the capability to reach orbit without any other parts but the capsule engines? Is there some real-world reason that influences the mod design?

I'm not trying to be critical, I honestly do want to understand why this part performs as it does in-game.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone... I've updated everything to comply with the new folder structure and turned the interior blue lights down by 33%. I can't explain the blue light on the launch pad showing up under the ship, as it appears regardless of the proximity of the capsule to the pad and doesn't stay with the ship after launch. Let me know if there are any other issues before I upload it to the Spaceport and start working on the new landing gear and 3.75m Falcon X super heavy lifting series.

LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack 2.0 [KSP 21.1]

LazTek SpaceX Launch Pack HD 2.0 [KSP 21.1]

YAAY!!!

Glad to see the new file structure used. Cant wait for the FalconX 3.75 pack!!! I likes to launch heavy stuff =P

Best part about this pack....it does NOT cost $56.5mill per Faclon9 launch! (or $135mill for a FalconHeavy)

Just one observation. I do not want to start a flame war, I genuinely want to understand:

Why do both of the Dragon capsules I've tried have the capability to reach orbit without any other parts but the capsule engines? Is there some real-world reason that influences the mod design?

I'm not trying to be critical, I honestly do want to understand why this part performs as it does in-game.

There are two sets of engines for the Dragon Capsule. One is labeled as experimental with integrated alien technology. These will let you go anywhere in the game many times over. I think its more of a bonus part than anything else. The other engines have much less delta-V. They are on par with a craft capable of a Duna landing. Both engines are optional.

The mod is more powerful than the stock parts, but represents Earth technology from the 2000s instead of the 1960s.

Each SuperDraco generates 67,000N (67 kN) of thrust. Even scaled to 64% for KSP that's still 42kN. There are 8 SuperDraco engines on a Dragon Rider. That gives you approx. 340kN of thrust. That's a LOT for such a small craft, but if you figure it has to slow the capsule down from post re-entry speed (about 800m/s) to practically zero on landing, as well as being able to rapidly accelerate the capsule away from the rocket in the event of abort, then it kinda needs it. The Delta-V issue might just be an over-calculation of the fuel provided. I suspect it needs fine-tuning to provide a little less. The capsule shouldn't be able to achieve orbit on Kerbin but should on Duna (after landing, which itself uses a decent amount of fuel) so it's a delicate balance.

Also, certainly for a mission that involves landing and launch on a foreign body, it's entirely possible that the capsule's fuel and engine config would indeed be able to make a decent shot at orbit from Kerbin, as the fuel it contained would be spent landing and taking off from, say Duna, but the rocket itself is needed to actually GET there with all that fuel unused.

Edited by MDBenson

This is plain awesome, have been using it for a while and is great! Just one question, why does this pack drop my framerate from V-Synced 60 to 20-30? It's a bit annoying and would like how to avoid it (if possible, cause I'll keep this pack like forever) Thanks!

This is plain awesome, have been using it for a while and is great! Just one question, why does this pack drop my framerate from V-Synced 60 to 20-30? It's a bit annoying and would like how to avoid it (if possible, cause I'll keep this pack like forever) Thanks!

Does it slow the framerate when you launch the Falcon 9 configuration? The Falcon Heavy and its 27 main thruster points eat up a lot of the physics processing of the simulator in the first few seconds after launch, but usually smooth out after reaching around 1000m on the PCs I use for testing.

No worries - the only flames around here come from thruster nozzles... Yes, my Dragon 2 is over-fueled. I've worked to match the thrust of the engines to the Kerbal universe using SpaceX's specs and reaching the same results in KSP through testing, so the actual performance of the engines should be close to the real things. In real-life, however, the Dragon 2 is supposed to only carry 15 seconds of usable RCS fuel for the SuperDraco thrusters. This is supposed to be enough to fulfill its primary function as an emergency escape system and possibly be used as a soft-landing system. I added more fuel to allow it to be used as a return ship as well as a lander, and included the extra SuperDraco Experimental thrusters for those who wanted to simply use the Dragon 2 alone to explore the Kerbol system.

Does it slow the framerate when you launch the Falcon 9 configuration? The Falcon Heavy and its 27 main thruster points eat up a lot of the physics processing of the simulator in the first few seconds after launch, but usually smooth out after reaching around 1000m on the PCs I use for testing.

Thats whats happening to my 6gb system. Everything is good, besides the heavy configuration. Although it still flies fine, meaning with or without mechjeb, i can still hold it where i want, until i stage the extra sides where the fps goes back to normal.

And btw, you said in earlier post:

I forgot to mention that the new Dragon 2/Falcon 9 .craft file has the Secondary Payload System installed with 6 deployable satellites.

Do you mean theres a craft with the new Payload bay with sats inside? If yes i dont see it, if not no worries since those parts are indeed included.

Thank you for the honest and polite responses.

I agree that it must be a hard balancing act to make a capsule that can achieve Martian/Dunar orbit but not so powerful as to achieve orbit of Kerbin. I'm sure it can be done and I'm glad that it's a sensible consideration. And it's OK to have something like the current SuperDracos if the intent is as you have said, to go everywhere with them.

I guess the best starting point for balance is to take the real world stats, scale them to the game, size them up against comparable stock values, give it a bit of a bonus for being more advanced, and tweak it from there. I'm not much for "maths" in my games but I appreciate that there are people who can (and like to) do so. If I understand the little delta-v map I saw on the wiki, you'd basically want something that gives more than around 2900 m/s (to get from the Dunar surface to Low Kerbin Orbit) but less than around 4500 m/s (because the idea isn't to have a capsule that can achieve a Kerbin orbit all on its own). Does that sound about right?

I look forward to the ongoing success and development of your mod - and in the meantime I'm going to give my Kerbals a tan in that beautiful blue light. :cool:

Edited by HeadHunter67
Added suggested delta-v range.