Could the game be done like spore or minecraft?

drawerboy

I post this in the off topic section because I know that no one wants this on the site, but I just have to ask or I will die. Why no aliens? I read somewhere that it was because aliens would cause too much cpu usage, and make the game lag like crazy. That is a valid point, but here is my question. If its not possible, then how did spore do it? In the space stage, there are at least 100 planets and moons to travel too. And on many of them, there are aliens, as well as alien races that may decide to be hostile/friendly/neutral towards your character.

Here is another question.

Couldn't this it be done like minecraft? Why couldn't all the planets still be there, and your able to look at them and plan routes, but just not generate until you are close? Why cant it be so that only the planet/moon that you are near is generating so that it wont lag the computer? And when you leave, why cant the data just save and then you can travel where ever you like, but when you come back, the saved data will just reload, and you can continue from where you left off?

I just feel like aliens are a very important part in ANY game where you can travel to and explore other planets. It creates a sense of mystery and a true feeling of purpose in the game. Please leave an answer so my mind can finally be put to rest. Thanks a bunch!

Because Spore used a different engine. Spore didn't have to worry about physics. Spore never had orbiting planets. Planets aren't rendered when you're far away, if thats what you mean by generated. Also, ksp has no real use for gpu, and does not use multiple cores, or more than about 3 gigs of ram. So ksp generally uses 1/8-1/4 or your computer. Also, the Kerbles are aliens. If there were other aliens, they could never be hostile, because there will be no conflict in this game.

Because Spore used a different engine. Spore didn't have to worry about physics. Spore never had orbiting planets. Planets aren't rendered when you're far away, if thats what you mean by generated. Also, ksp has no real use for gpu, and does not use multiple cores, or more than about 3 gigs of ram. So ksp generally uses 1/8-1/4 or your computer. Also, the Kerbles are aliens. If there were other aliens, they could never be hostile, because there will be no conflict in this game.

Valid points, valid points everywhere.

For the love of God don't make this game more like Spore. I've never been so disappointed by a game in my life.

So much this.

No aliens except possible rare, small, nonsentient life on maybe one planet. KSP is meant to be similar to our solar system and space technology and physics, it's not a high-scifi game. It's very much based on realism with certain breaks for practicality or gameplay purposes, but what it is not is Star Trek. It's also not and was never meant to be some kind of interplanetary economy simulator like Spore is (if I recall).

People sometimes say "Well, it's not meant to be like our space programs because we can go to other planets and we never have before". Well, yes we haven't, but it's like if our space program had a much larger budget and didn't have to worry about politics.

And wasn't part of the next update that the planets would be loaded only when needed to be more efficient?

No aliens except possible rare, small, nonsentient life on maybe one planet. KSP is meant to be similar to our solar system and space technology and physics, it's not a high-scifi game. It's very much based on realism with certain breaks for practicality or gameplay purposes, but what it is not is Star Trek. It's also not and was never meant to be some kind of interplanetary economy simulator like Spore is (if I recall).

People sometimes say "Well, it's not meant to be like our space programs because we can go to other planets and we never have before". Well, yes we haven't, but it's like if our space program had a much larger budget and didn't have to worry about politics.

And wasn't part of the next update that the planets would be loaded only when needed to be more efficient?

I think the closest we'll get to having life in KSP, is some sort of dead bacteria fossil that can be drilled up on duna.

Ok. Here's another question then. If no aliens, what about plant life? Would it also be impossible to create a jungle planet with waterfalls, oceans, and stuff? Maybe even a underground cave system? I just feel like wandering to planets with barren flat terrain seems kind of dull, and if there was a planet with high mountain ranges, jungle, and cave systems, that it would REALLY spice up the game-play. And don't get me started on the amount of easter eggs that could be added!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.