Question: Multipod crafts

Zutha

Hello,

So I was going to create a craft with multiple sat's attached and a second with multiple rovers attached.

My questions is:

If I create a craft with 4 sat's attached (each with it's own comp pod) and decouple them, do they become their own craft and controlable?

Or do I need to launch the branch first, then launch each sat and dock to achieve this goal?

thanks!

Yes, they become separate crafts as you decouple/undock them. So you can strap a few satellites to you main carrier rocket in the VAB and not worry about docking everything in space.

That's probably because you tried it prior to version 0.18. The code that enabled the splitting and merging of vessels as it happened wasn't yet written until docking got introduced so everything ended up being debris and you couldn't add more than one command pod on a vessel AFAIK.

I do this a lot with mapping probes, just stick them to the side of the main ship with that attachment point thing (forget the actual name) and use one of those stack separators to decouple it. I also use a mod whose name escapes me at the moment, that allows you to add pre-made combinations of parts to a new ship as if it was a regular part. So, I created my mapping probe as a normal ship and saved it to this list, and then can add that to any new ship that I'm making. Just wish I could remember what it's called, a look through the mods forum isn't coming up with anything. Really handy utility, though.

I do this a lot with mapping probes, just stick them to the side of the main ship with that attachment point thing (forget the actual name) and use one of those stack separators to decouple it. I also use a mod whose name escapes me at the moment, that allows you to add pre-made combinations of parts to a new ship as if it was a regular part. So, I created my mapping probe as a normal ship and saved it to this list, and then can add that to any new ship that I'm making. Just wish I could remember what it's called, a look through the mods forum isn't coming up with anything. Really handy utility, though.

:o

What mod is that?

• 1 month later...

Subassembly loader is integral to KSP while Payloader is external.

One thing about launching those sats... Just use the [ and ] keys to switch between the vehicles when close together. Makes life a lot easier but watch out if you have clipped any parts. It usually causes the sat to spin like a top when you switch to it. I've had sats spin so fast their solar panels flew off from centripetal force. Frustrating for sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.