Attempting to go to space. With Canon... Re-ARMed!... An experiment report.

Tw1

Made a kind of sequel. By dragging kerbals behind SRBs with a cable, I got them much higher than I could with the cannons, or by strapping a seat on the side of the SRB.

Also, could a mod please move this to mission reports, now that we have it again? This no longer belongs in general discussion.

Edited by Tw1

• 8 months later...

Hello, and welcome to a new round of cannon tests! With a new set of engines comes new potential, so I'm rebooting these trials.

*fanfare*

5SZbUZu.png

(That's a trumpet incase you don't get it.)

First, testing the Kerbodyne KR-2L!

This is the cannon. Pretty standard.

zgtDqsB.png

Or volunteer today is of course, Jebediah Kerman.

kqgPI5L.png

With Jeb positioned in the center of the engine bell, it was time to send him skyward.

3n0jZcU.png

Now this was interesting. The thrust effect and the engine's collider surface are not aligned. Perhaps if I jump.

e8XKOIf.png

rVn6FyT.png

Much better. Jet pack assisted, Jeb reacked about 3.5 Km. Interestingly, this is less than the heights I achieved with mainsails earlier.

This may be worth investigating.

axZJLnv.png

And bounced on the way down. This feels familiar...

Ok. So that was the KR-2L. Time to test the S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster.

Higher thrust will throw a kerbal higher, but the clustered nature of this engine may complicate matters.

However, I hypothesize that the thrust will have been programed to come from one central point.

I built this set up with ladders leading to both the center and one of the thrusters to allow me to test both possibilities.

HMfwZ9H.png

Note how Jeb appears to be floating above the engine. This would be due to it having a simplified collision mesh.

Ok. Off we go.

SMbVIzr.png

Woosh! That answers the question of where the thrust comes from on a KS-25x4.

This time, Jeb went about 4Km.

b8N8Pig.png

However, this was without jet pack asistance.

I modified the cannon to make it suitable for multiple launches:

Y688mtI.png

And tried again.

fhsr7pz.png

Achieved a max of 4.8 Km. Ok.

Now, time to go big. This time, I'm going to take a scientific approach. I plan to build a huge pass through type cannon- for this to work optimally, the engines need to be positioned so the arrival of a kerbal in each engine's thrust zone coincides with the game calculating a physics step.

To work out spacing, I conducted an experiment:

8jtotvc.png

Seems I forgot rule one of cannon building. Struts and launch clamps. A little later:

vXRjODm.png

I think you get where I'm going here. Added extra pods so Bill and Bob could join in on the fun.

After three splattered kerbals tests:

There. That's where I need my engine to be.

Q3gvgfC.png

Back in the VAB, I set up a version on the cannon with a KS-25x4 just below the bit my kerbals kept crashing into.

6lZM1HH.png

Beautiful.

JdWaC4l.png

Jeb's enthusiastic face.

rpNVhdM.png

...And Boom!

ZiPsRSg.png

Off at a rapid pace. Everything is proceeding as expected. Except for the cannon falling apart below.

Bill and Bob where in that thing....

qckPBoO.png

7Km! Now that's more like it.

RZ9CiXd.png

But this was an unassisted flight. Making full use of the Jet pack:

aoxZH2p.png

Which was not that helpful for the first second, as Jeb wouldn't stop tumbling...

ui0Hqsx.png

8Km! Now we're starting to get somewhere.

4knIRQj.png

Unfortunately, Jeb had drifted too far this time. He did land on the bouncy launchpad, but bounced off and was killed when he hit the grass.

I may bring parachutes next time.

Now, I could keep going with by trial and error, but if I'm going to overbuild this to its full potential, I'm probably going to need to take an engineering approach.

Fellow forumers, I need some advice. Physics advice.

If I'm going to calculate the position that a kerbal will be in at each physics step, I'm going to need to take drag into account. I'm not sure how I'd go about factoring in that, so I look forward to any advice. I'm using the stock aerodynamics model, BTW.

That's all for this time!

To finish up, here's a picture of Jeb bouncing from the launchpad:

eIPe62T.png

Edited by Tw1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/17/2013 at 9:32 PM, Thrfoot said:

Hmm... What if they replaced the conventional explosive charge with a nuke?

Nuclear test "Pascal-A" launched a manhole cover at six times escape velocity. I think it could work...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.