The Ctrl+V thread!

Felsmak

Procedure 1:

1. Build the testing box (See procedure 2a)

2. Build the lunar surfaces (See procedure 2b)

3. Put the box on top of the first Lunar Surface (Sea of Tranquility)

4. Place the objects on the terrain. Objects should be 2-5 cm tall (1-2 inches), and not too wide. I used paint cans. Note that for realism's sake, if needed, you can make astronauts, a flag, or a lander, or any combination thereof (See procedure 3d).

5. Turn on the light. Using the hole in the top, take a picture of the scene (make sure that the pictures are good quality).

6. Record observations, and save photos.

1. Observations are recorded by putting a toothpick on either side of the shadow., touching it, and then measuring how far off of the line the shadow is on each side, and comparing it to the total width of the shadow

7. Switch the First Lunar Surface (Sea of Tranquility) out for the Second Lunar Surface (Fra Mauro Highlands)

8. Repeat steps 4-9 with the Second Lunar Surface (Fra Mauro Highlands)

9. Switch out the Second Lunar Surface (Fra Mauro Highlands) with the Third Lunar Surface (Taurus-Littrow Valley).

10. Repeat steps 4-9 with the Third Lunar Surface (Taurus-Littrow Valley)

11. Print all photos. Group them into their terrains.

12. Measure, on the photos, which are all in the same scale, the divergence of the shadows from the line they are on.

Procedure 2a:

1. Create a 2x3x2 foot (61x91.5x61 cm) box out of plywood (See diagram at the back for reference). Screw it together, but don’t make a bottom.

2. Cut a hole on one side just large enough to put the light socket in. It should be about 18 inches up. Glue the socket in, and fill any gaps with felt

3. Cover all interior surfaces with the black felt.

4. On a side perpendicular to the side with the sun, put a circle of tinfoil 3 cm in diameter high up on the wall. Make sure it is flat against the wall.

5. Screw the lightbulb into the socket. Test it to make sure it works. .

6. Cut a small hole in the top to put the camera lens into. Make sure the camera lens fits into it, but it isn’t too big that excess light can get in.

Procedure 2b:

1. Buy materials (Lots of modelling clay, black felt, plaster, hot glue, reflective silver spraypaint, plywood, white glue, paper)

2. Build terrain 1 (See procedure 3a)

3. Build terrain 2 (See procedure 3b)

4. Build terrain 3 (See procedure 3b)

5. Make sure all three terrains fit into the box

6. Make an LM, Rover, and two Astronauts out of modelling clay, paper and toothpicks (or just find three identical objects)

7. Make a flag out of a toothpick and paper

8. Put in LM, Rover, Flag, and two Astronauts/identical objects

9. The items will be moved around for every test, and they will be switched throughout the different terrains

Procedure 3a

1. Cut a 2x3 foot (61x91.5 cm) piece of plywood

2. Shape a 2x3 foot (61x91.5 cm) terrain out of Plaster. Make it mostly flat with a few (3-4) small bumps and craters. Make sure it is stuck firmly to the plywood.

3. Spraypaint it a metallic silver once it has set

4. Using a ruler or chalk line, draw a straight line down the center, from one side to another (Parallel to the direction of the light).

5. Put a small piece of paper on the terrain, just below where the lightbulb would go. Label it “Mare Tranquillitatis (Apollo 11)”

Procedure 3b

2. Shape a 2x3 foot (61x91.5 cm) terrain out of Plaster. Make it mostly flat with some (5-6) medium size bumps a small amount of (2-3) small craters. Make sure it is stuck firmly to the plywood.

4. Using a ruler or chalk line, draw a straight line down the center, from one side to another (Parallel to the light).

5. Put a small piece of paper on the terrain, just below where the lightbulb would go. Label it “Fra Mauro Highlands (Apollo 13*/14)”. Below that, in smaller print, write “*Never Landed”

Procedure 3c

2. Shape a 2x3 foot (61x91.5 cm) terrain out of Plaster. Make it mostly flat with many (7-8) large craters, a midsize amount (4-5) of medium size craters and a small amount (2-3) of small hills. Make sure it is firmly stuck to the Plywood

4. Using a ruler or chalk line, draw a straight line down the center, from one side to another (Parallel to the light).

5. Put a small piece of paper on the terrain, just below where the lightbulb would go. Label it “Taurus-Littrow Valley” (Apollo 17)”

Procedure 3d

1. Build the Astronauts. There should be two. They should be simple, just two arms, two legs, a head and a backpack. They should be about 1.5 inches (5cm) tall

2. Build the flag. The flag should just be a small rectangle of paper attached to a toothpick. It should be the same height of the astronauts

3. Build the LEM. It should be a Regular Dodecahedron (A 3d pentagonal spheroid, essentially) on top of a hexagonal prism. Four toothpicks should make up the legs. It should be about 6 inches (15 cm) tall.

4. Don’t worry about accuracy. They should be recognizable, but they don’t have to look exact.

5. Glue the astronauts and the flag to square pieces of cardboard, so that they stand up. The LM should stand on its own

6. Note that building exact models is not necessary, as long as something creates a shadow, it doesn’t matter

image?w=474&h=321&rev=323&ac=1

I put it in a spoiler since it's so long:

Spoiler

Science, Space Model Building, MYP3 
16/12/16  

UNIT: Space, the Final Frontier 
GLOBAL CONTEXT: Orientation in Space and Time  
KEY CONCEPT: Systems  
Science Criteria A & D 

INVESTIGATE:   
1.BACKGROUND:  
The “gravity assist”, also called a gravitational slingshot, is the section of orbital 
mechanics concerned with using the gravity of a celestial body (eg. a moon or a 
planet) to assist a spacecraft in getting to its destination (hence the name 
“gravity assist”). The concept of the gravity assists was first documented by Yuri 
Kondratyuk in his paper, published 1938 but dated 1918-1919. To conduct a 
gravity assist, the spacecraft’s trajectory must intersect the sphere of influence 
(SoI) of a celestial body (eg. a moon or a planet). This allows the trajectory to be 
altered by the gravity of the celestial body. If this is done correctly, the gravity can 
be used to assist the spacecraft in getting to its destination. This is because 
when the satellite enters the SoI of the body, it takes away some of the body’s 
energy and alters its orbit. This alteration is, however, so minute that it can be 
neglected when doing calculations for orbital maneuvers. This is because the 
body is much more massive than the spacecraft, so its orbit is not affected very 
greatly. On the other hand, the energy gained by the spacecraft (from the 
celestial body) results in a much greater change in trajectory, because the mass 
of the spacecraft is several million times less than the mass of the celestial body. 
Because of this, the concept of a gravity assist does not violate the Conservation 
of Energy law. Instead, the energy is just distributed differently across the 
celestial body and the spacecraft because of the difference of mass between the 
two. In this demonstration, the alteration of a spacecraft’s trajectory due to the 
gravity of a celestial body will be investigated, by using an accurate analogy and 
a computer simulation. 

2.RESEARCH REQUIREMENTS: 
a)Documentary 
Name: Voyager: To the Final Frontier 
Evaluation: The people in the documentary are qualified and reliable (eg. 
Michael Minovitch), the documentary is relatively recent (2012) and is relevant. 
MLA citation: Voyager: To the Final Frontier. Dir. Christopher Riley. Perf. Dallas 
Campbell, Michael Minovitch. BBC, 2012. 
Notes: Talks about the Voyager 1 and 2 missions, and talks about gravity assists 
and who found out how to use it for the Voyager missions. The gravity assist part 
will be useful. 
b)Article 1 
Name: 10 Years Ago in Astronomy 
Evaluation: Author is identifiable and the article is relatively recent (2009) and it 
is relevant. 
MLA citation: Kruesi, Liz. "10 Years Ago In Astronomy." Astronomy 37.8 (2009): 
22. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 30 Nov. 2016. 
Notes: Does not say much about gravity assists in the actual article, but links to 
another article explaining gravity assists in more detail. This article is not very 
useful, however the one it links to is. 
c)Article 2 
Name: The Spacecraft’s got Swing 
Evaluation: The author is qualified and the article is relevant. However, it is not 
very recent (1999), but it is still useful. 
MLA citation: Oberg, James. "The Spacecraft's Got Swing." Astronomy (1999) 
Web. 
Notes: Talks about how the Cassini spacecraft used gravity assists to get to 
Saturn, and the history of gravity assists. This is very useful as it also gives 
examples of how gravity assists are used. 
d)Website  
Name: A Gravity Assist Primer 
Evaluation: The website is from a from a government organization (NASA) and 
is relevant. It is not recent (2004) but the information is still true. 
MLA citation: Doody, Dave. "A Gravity Assist Primer" NASA. NASA, 2004. 
Web. 29 Nov 2016. 
Notes: Talks about how gravity assists work and some easy-to-understand 
analogies. This will be useful for thinking of models to portray gravity assists. 

PLAN: 
1.RESEARCH QUESTION: How does a gravity assist from a celestial body alter 
a spacecraft’s trajectory? 

2.MATERIALS:  
●Stretchy fabric 
●Large diameter bucket 
●Large, heavy ball 
●Small, light ball 
●Ruler 
●Masking tape 
●Kerbal Space Program (software program) 

3.VARIABLES:  
Independent: The independent variable is the the distance from the “planet’s” 
surface (3cm, 6cm, 10cm). This is to see if the distance of the ball representing 
the spacecraft has any effect on the trajectory of the “spacecraft”, and if so, what 
the effect would be. 
Dependent: The dependent variable is the trajectory of the “spacecraft”, 
represented by the trajectory of the small, light ball. This is done to see how the 
curve of the fabric (representing the gravitational influence of the “planet”) alters 
the trajectory. The alteration is visually observed by seeing where the light ball 
comes to the end of the fabric. This position is then marked with a piece of 
masking tape and compared to the other markings to see if a pattern can be 
discerned. 
Control: The control variables are: 
1)The speed of the small ball representing the spacecraft, to make sure that 
there is enough time for the curve of the fabric to affect the trajectory of 
the “spacecraft”. However, the exact speed is not extremely accurate, 
because there was no way to measure the speed and keep it consistent. 
Instead, the speeds were kept roughly the same through visual 
observation. 
2)The weight (64.8g) of the ball that represents the planet, to keep the curve 
of the fabric (representing the gravity) the same. This will ensure that the 
effects on the trajectory remains consistent when the independent 
variable (the distance from the surface) is tested. 

CREATE:  
1.PROCEDURE:  
1) Stretch the fabric over the top of the bucket and secure it with the 
masking tape. 
2)Place the large, heavy ball in the center of the fabric. This represents the 
planet. Note that the fabric curves down around the ball. This curve 
represents the gravity of the planet. 
3)Roll the small, light ball so the closest point to the “planet” (the periapsis) 
is at a distance of 3cm from the surface. Mark where the “spacecraft” 
meets the edge of the fabric with a piece of masking tape.  
4)Repeat step 3 but with distances of 6cm and 10cm. 
5)Use the computer software Kerbal Space Program to show the concept 
of gravity assists by:  
a)Using the Maneuver Node tool to set the moon apolune to 
300,000m and note the resulting Earth apogee. 
b)Using the Maneuver Node tool to set the moon apolune to 
50,000m and note the resulting Earth apogee. 

EVALUATE:  
Reflection 1: Before beginning to build, reflect on the research you have done and if 
you need to know more. Use the following questions as a guide.  
1.What have I learned that I did not know before? 
I have learnt about spacecrafts that have used gravity assists to fulfill their 
mission. For example, Mariner 10 used the gravity of Venus to be able to get to 
Mercury, and Voyager 1 used multiple gravity assists to reach a velocity fast 
enough to escape the solar system. Without these assists, the Voyager 1 
spacecraft would not have been able to escape the solar system as the current 
technology would not have allowed the craft to have enough Delta-V (change in 
velocity) to escape the solar system and enter interstellar space. 
2.Is there something more that I need to know? 
There is not anything more that I need to know to make my model. All the 
information needed has been researched and/or is already known. 
3.Describe how you visualize the model and what you need to do to make it work. 
The physical model will consist of an elastic fabric stretched out flat, suspended 
in the air. A large and heavy ball (representing a planet) will be placed in the 
center of the fabric, which will bend as gravity pulls the ball down. This bend of 
the fabric represents the gravity of the “planet”, or the Sphere of Influence (SoI). 
Then, a smaller and lighter ball (representing a spacecraft) will be rolled along 
the fabric. The bend of the fabric (representing the SoI of the “planet”) will make 
the “spacecraft” follow a curved path, representing how the gravity of a planet 
alters a spacecraft’s trajectory. By rolling the “spacecraft” at different speeds and 
at different distances from the “planet”, the effect of a planet’s gravity on a 
spacecraft can be clearly observed. This model will be made by stretching a 
sheet of elastic fabric flat and suspending it in the air, so the heavy ball 
representing the planet will have enough room to descend without hitting the floor 
or a table. Then, the lighter ball (representing the spacecraft) can be rolled along 
the fabric to observe the alterations in trajectory. 
Also, the computer software Kerbal Space Program will be used to show the 
concept of gravity assists. 

Reflection 2: During the building process, reflect on how the product is coming 
together. Use the following questions as a guide. 
1.What is working well in my plan right now? 
At this time, everything is going well in my plan. I have found a suitable material 
to represent gravity and I have a reasonably sized bucket to fasten the fabric to. 
Also, I have a large, heavy ball to act as the planet and I have a small, light ball to 
act as the spacecraft. Preliminary tests have shown that the “spacecraft’s” 
trajectory has been altered as expected when it is rolled at distances of 3cm, 
6cm and 10cm.  
2.What are some problems I am encountering? 
At this point, there are no problems I am encountering while building my model. 
Before I started, it was a bit difficult to find the stretchy fabric that I needed to 
represent the gravity, but once that problem was resolved the rest of the model 
went smoothly. 
3.What changes or improvements should I consider/have I made? 
The best improvement that could be made to the model is using a more stretchy 
fabric, to make a more realistic representation of gravity. This would allow more 
consistent results because the fabric would not have to be adjusted after every 
test. 

Reflection 3: After completing the model and demonstrating it to your peers/teacher. 
Use the following questions as a guide. 
1.What have I learned about model building that I did not know before? 
I have learnt that often, the most difficult part is thinking of a model to build, but 
once a model is decided upon the actual process of building it is very simple, 
provided that there is a good understanding of the concept being studied (in my 
case, gravity assists). Also, I have learnt that when making a model, there will 
always be some setbacks (in my case, not being able to find a stretchy fabric), 
and they will have to be overcome to ensure a successful model. 
2.Did the people who viewed my working model learn something new? How do I 
know?  
I think that the audience of my gravity assist model did learn something new, 
because they asked me questions for more information on the subject. Also, they 
were engaged in the presentation since they were listening actively and 
attentively, and they interacted with the model after the actual presentation was 
over. The audience’s feedback was also positive, indicating that they had learnt 
more about gravity assists. 
3.What were the strengths of my model? 
The main strength of the model was that it could accurately depict a gravity 
assist. Also, a strength was that it was simple to build, and thus reduced the 
number of potential issues that needed to be overcome. Additionally, it was easy 
to understand which is beneficial when presenting a new concept for an 
audience who has likely not learnt about gravity assists in the past. The final 
strength was that it was easy to adapt to suit different needs. For example, if the 
effect of the gravity of multiple planets on a spacecraft was being investigated, 
the model could be easily modified to include many planets instead of just one. 
Also, it could be scaled bigger and smaller to suit the needs of the 
demonstration. 
4.What were the limitations of my model? 
One limitation of the model is that there is no accurate way of launching the small 
ball at the same speed every time, and this affects the results of the 
demonstration. Also, there is no way of getting the ball to pass by the 3cm, 6cm 
and 10cm markers perfectly every time. Both of these require trial and error, and 
visual observation, resulting in two main limitations in the model. 
5.What could I do next or what new question could I ask to learn more about the 
topic? 
Next, I could investigate different types of gravity assists, such as unpowered 
gravity assists (no thrust from an engine) or powered gravity effects (thrust from 
engine, usually taking advantage of the Oberth Effect). I could investigate the 
different affects of each type of gravity assist, and investigate the affects on a 
spacecraft when it is affected by the gravity if two celestial bodies, instead of just 
one, as seen in the demonstration. A new question that could be asked is “How 
does an unpowered gravity assist and a powered gravity assist (using the 
Oberth maneuver) differ and what are the effects?”

It's my science class "lab report" on gravity assists. The teacher said it was supposed to be about 3 pages... mine turned out at 12 pages. Whoops :P. I guess I got a bit carried away there. :sticktongue: 

Also, I think some formatting is messed up, since I copied it from google docs.

Papyrus: My cooking skills unrivaled when it comes to spaghetti, With sauce and pasta, noodles extra long! And not a single creature has survived a dish!

Sans: The kid just walked right past it…

Papyrus: SANS! Don't interrupt my song!

Lyrics from "Undertale the Musical" by "Man on the Internet" on YouTube.

War is on the horizon. The nations of Kerbin are angry with each other, and the conflicts have hit a breaking point. You, a designer and flight tester for the KSC, have been contracted to design, build, and fly a supersonic fighter jet, capable of high maneuverability and fast speeds. Good Luck.

Rules

Plane Requirements

1. The plane must have Mk. 1 parts only.*

2. The craft can have a maximum of 2 engines.* (Except in VTOL category, which is allowed 3 engines.)

2a. The engines must be air-breathing.*

3. Only Stock engines are allowed.*

4. Mods can be used only if it does not affect the performance of the craft.

5. It has to reach above Mach 1 (343 m/s)

6. Cheats to use: Infinite fuel, Infinite Electricity, Infinite RCS, Ignore Max Temp, Unbreakable Joints**

7. No turning off gravity, drag, or anything else.*

8. The plane is limited to 75 Parts.***

9. Have fun.

Leaderboard

1. The scoring is based off of a system of speed, maneuverability, and used cheats. (Speed + Highest G's + 5 for no cheats = Score)

2. A person can have two or more entries, but only 2 per category MAXIMUM. If a person does 3 or more, then the jet with the lowest score will be taken off.

2a. A person can also have entries in multiple categories.

*- If not followed, instant disqualification is warranted.

**- Optional

***- Points penalty

Ah ha! I must have been working on my fighter Jet challenge thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.