Fuel Orb (fuel storage tanks) add-on release

Fiddlestyx

SpacePort download link

While designing my space station, I decided I wanted to be able to re-fuel visiting ships, but I didn't want to use standard rocket tanks. So I designed these.

qCTOLgS.png

I was inspired by similar tanks that I have seen in countless sci-fi series I watch. They function exactly like regular tanks and store a little less than half the amount of fuel in a Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank (orange tank). They are almost the same size as Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank (half an orange tank)

rfPsmL7.png

I have included two versions in the file. A full tank and an empty one. The empty ones are much easier to get in orbit, but then have to be filled. So, I use a combination of both. If a ship visits my station and needs a little fuel, it can take some. Or if it had extra, it can leave some.

Here is my orbital tug placing a fuel orb on my station.

IXVkgDv.png

Here is my complete fuel orb module on the station. (My station will always have fuel to give and room to store more)

dkwWr4g.png

This was my first time using Blender and Unity to make a 3D game model (A big thanks to everyone here that helped me when I ran into trouble).

Please let me know if there are any problems.

Please do not redistribute.

Let me know what you think!

Downloading now. I really like the way it looks on the space station rather for radial attachments (so to speak) or for disposable "mosquito" tanks for rockets.

Edited by Katamari

@Nutbag Deluxe, this was my first time making a 3D model and I'm not very good at textures. There are screws (although only painted on) and I don't have much time to redo the texture right now (working on a new project), but if I find time I will try.

@Scotius, if you want to resize it, just open the part.cfg file with notepad or word and under "// --- asset parameters ---" change the number under "rescaleFactor = 1.5" to something else. For example, "rescaleFactor = 0.5". You'll have to play with that number to get it the right size you want.

After that you may want to change the amount of fuel too, which is in the part.cfg under:

RESOURCE

{

name = LiquidFuel

amount = 1170

maxAmount = 1170

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxidizer

amount = 1430

maxAmount = 1430

}

Edited by Fiddlestyx

I love the tanks, not a fan of the texture but their utility outweighs that. are you thinking of doing more sizes or shapes?

I'm not planning on doing anything with them right now as I am working on a new project. When I finish that I might make "boring" textures for the tanks. I have no plans to make different sizes and shapes (for now).

I got it Fixed now. These parts should go in GameData/YourCreatedModFolder/Parts/FuelTank.

I think every mod will get it's own set of folders in GameData/, you can name the Mods folder however you wish. You can even give every mod you have an individual named folder under GameData.

Like:

GameData/Chatter/

GameData/MechJeb/

GameData/My Mods/

GameData/Squad/

Edited by Fiddlestyx

@wasmic, do you have the newest update, posted yesterday evening? Also, do you have them in GameData/YourModFolder/Parts/FuelTank?

I just downloaded them from SpacePort and they are working in my game.

If you are referring to the bottom node being inside, that is intentional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.