What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After my success with the Me 262 and Vampire Science Bombers, I decide to continue recreating jet-powered WWII science-gathering aircraft, and attempted to recreate the Heinkel He 162.

qZwHN8z.jpg

Attempted

Not pictured: Jeb spinning out and crashing into the VAB.

On the bright side, engines look a lot cooler with the HotRocket mod. :wink:

I also flew my new -unnamed-highly-experimental-totally-didn't-asymmetrically-run-out-of-fuel-during-testing- WIP Science Bombers side by side, kinda.

wD0xtFk.jpg

Edited by Noir

Sending stuff to my Jool base.. 2 research/science ships, Fuel Storage tanks, and Main center piece all together.

Too many brackets but theres way too much fuel left in the launching fuel tanks to toss them out.

1899387_10152002933086725_562460580_o.jpg

It actually looks acceptable with the launching fuel tanks jettisoned

1966205_10152002932816725_825763117_o.jpg

Tonight I flagrantly clipped some parts together and built this:

p2557Qz.png

Ignoring the mass of the tank, this engine cluster has a mass of 2.5 tonnes, outputs 750 kN of thrust and has the same specific impulse characteristics as a Skipper engine. The downside between it and a Skipper is the part count only - 50 parts. Used the cluster to build a craft that may potentially be an Eve ascent vehicle; going to solicit some more advice on that momentarily.

Built an ion science probe for RSS that I used for a saturn and titan science return mission (Get science, go back to Earth).

The mission was successful, but now I really...

really

REALLY

HATE ION ENGINES.

MAY THEY BURN IN HELL!

Built an ion science probe for RSS that I used for a saturn and titan science return mission (Get science, go back to Earth).

The mission was successful, but now I really...

really

REALLY

HATE ION ENGINES.

MAY THEY BURN IN HELL!

They tried to, but they ran out of power.

I decided to try building a spaceplane with basic jets instead of turbojets. My initial idea worked after a few tweaks, and the plane (barely) made it to a 80 km orbit and back. The ascent path was very different from normal spaceplanes: 60 degrees until 10 km, then 45 degrees until 15 km, then 40 degrees with all engines on until 20 km, and finally a normal rocket ascent with just the Aerospike.

basic_jet_spaceplane_1.jpeg

basic_jet_spaceplane_2.jpeg

basic_jet_spaceplane_3.jpeg

basic_jet_spaceplane_4.jpeg

Designing spaceplanes is definitely more interesting without turbojets and RAPIERs.

Edited by Jouni

13097570375_3f1d1b50d6_b.jpg

Ground tested a VASIMR drive module for future interplanetary flights. The solar arrays are mostly there because I'll need extra power for lights, flight computers, and life support, but when I did a test-fit of all the other modules in the VAB the center of mass was a tad off, so I may just swap them out with a pair of mini nuclear reactors on top of the engine mounts to balance things out.

I got my Duna Science Lab on station, sent my lander down to rescue my marooned Kerbonaut Lars Kerman. Realized that my wheeled lander doesn't have nearly enough delta-v to get back off the ground... in fact it ran out of gas while landing. But made it down safely, thanks to parachutes. Then rolled it toward my marooned Kerbal... and crashed along the way.

Back to the old quicksave...

I sent Bob to the south pole on the Mun to gather some science. Trying to find a semi decent place to land took more fuel than expected and he didn't have enough to get home, he was stuck at an elliptical orbit, closest it came to Kerbin was 5.8 Million K!

So he got out and pushed to see if that would make any difference. It did somewhat but just not enough, so he called in a favour and a fuel tug was sent up to dock with his lander (thank god I put a docking port on it!).

Used up most of the fuel just gettng to him but I eventually got it docked and made the fuel transfer to Bob could go home, and bring with him over 450 science points!

Sorry for the lack of pics but wasn't thinking about it at the tie, was focused on bringing bob home!

Busy Evening for me:

I finally recovered my Mojo probe in my newest save. The first two missions failed to reach capture into Mojo. This one did it, but had very little fuel left. On the return trip Mechjeb proposed to me an intercept orbit that although *possible* It would've consumed the last remaining 1400 d/V of fuel and left me hopefully plow into Kerbin if I got it right. So instead I setup aresonant orbit and after a few more laps around the sun I'd be able to Hohmann back to Kerbin. After reaching Kerbin I had a measly little 300 d/V remaining. And since I use DRE, plowing into Kerbin at 3700m/s wasn't an option. So I did 4 deorbit passes through the upper atmosphere which finally left me with a 40 by 125 km orbit. I burned about 50 more d/V of fuel and landed all my experiments safely in the badlands for a nice 1200 science return =). I had only a few liters of fuel left (15 d/v)

I also Sent Jeb and Barski on their way to Duna to be the first Kerbals on another planet. I play with the ECLSS life support mod, so packing enough oxygen without assembling in orbit is a chore, so I waited awhile before sending any Kerbals to their doom.

And Finally I sent an Ion Powered probe en route to the Joolian system to map its moons. I decided to make a realistic probe and make the entire thing very light and uses Xenon fuel. Normally I use the NTR with attached fuel tanks but I wanted to make a more aestheticly pleasing probe this time. In order to actually capture with an ion enginge I'm going to try some aerobraking so I included a heatshield at the front of the probe. This was probably the smallest rocket I've launched this save besides Jebs first Gemini type flight.

I restarted playing KSP.

When I left, .20 had been released (and pretty recently), the Munbug V was Mulbin's new release, and I was preparing a massive colony fleet for Laythe (three waves, ~200 Kerbals, 3 large rovers, etc)

I started a new save (Sandbox) and launched most of the ships for the Laythe mission that I had finished.

Loading the 136 Kerbals onto the transport mothership can now be done in one launch, which is really nice compared to the old system (I launched and loaded 134 Kerbals separate to the launch of the original ship)

While waiting for the first transfer orbit for Laythe, I decided to launch a satellite mission (16 satellites, to orbit Kerbin).

kgJLk9q.png

Then, I decided to launch the core of the space stations (targeted to orbit the Mun at 500km) utilizing the Uranus XSHLV.

8 orange fuel tanks, 13 large RCS tanks, 6 Hitchhiker Containers [24 Kerbal occupancy limit], ~54k Electricity storage.

The two best failures are below:

1)

Bm0PHUo.png

B5lf9t8.png

2)

kHx3U2m.png

I haven't added enough struts to the package (the launcher stays together until the package breaks)

Edit: fixed pictures

Edited by Windchild

I've been taking a break from interplanetary stuff and focusing on building a monster of a space station

5FEF69303AF9D3119F0876760FACEF9EEB3277AC

483A939E783E69549F8771D72F1122E66FB2CB2F

91680216988475B3887D727ED5EC6BE22BB682F4

And this is just the beginning!

Habitat modules are from Porkjet, giant solar arrays and radiators are from Near Future Propulsion

Today/currently I decided to take a second stab at Jool, but in a bit of a different style. My last time to put something on Joolian surface was just a probe, but due to my lack of patience I tried to use the engine for some reason. This time I sent the Solar Man Can in an attempt to go to the surface with the brave Orfrod Kerman at the helm. At the present moment Orfrod is 2.5km up and slowly (and I do mean SLOWLY!! :D) to the surface. When I have landed, or blown up, I will post pictures.

Well it just blew up but I got this shortly before that. I guess landing legitly on Jool is not a possibility, I am sure I could do something to make it work but I do not want to cheat to do it. Plus this was just jun as this craft was just tossed together and I honestly did not believe it would actually get out that far. I bet I could land this on Laythe, and I could get science with it if I did. Now it is just a matter of getting it to return.....MORE PRACTICE!

107tkew.png

Edited by Liowen

Built a plasma kethane SSTO...and that's when stuff went wrong.

Flew it to the Mun just to realise I forgot to fit a kethane scanner, so I flew back to KSC. Fit that damn scanner and flew back to the Mun. I then realised I forgot to test whether the miners can reach the surface. Turns out they couldn't. So back to KSC again...before heading back to the Mun.

I'm now on my 3rd trip to the Mun.

What's I'm trying to say is...KSP is really frustrating after a few beers :huh:

FFS, kethane tanks. I should just quit for today.

EDIT:

Finally made it and everything's working :cool:

r1UORZo.png

Edited by John Crichton

1sxizG.png

Adjusted the trajectory on my Laythe probe (which happens to be my first interplanetary probe). ~400 m/s at about Duna's orbital height to match inclination with Jool and bring Jool periapse below 20 Mm. Still have over two thirds of my transfer tank (X200-16 powering a pair of nuclear engines), no idea how much I'll need to brake in. Think I'll try to directly aerobrake in Laythe's atmosphere, but the probe has its own small tanks and LV909 that should cover a bit of maneuvering for a small, one-way probe. Unfortunately, without any control units pointing in the direction that the transfer engines push, when burning a maneuver node, I have to find the direction, figure out its exact opposite, burn approximately and adjust on the fly.

Also a little messing about with spaceplanes and a first look at wing connectors, turbojets, aerospikes and RAPIERs. My previous spaceplanes did not use any of these things, largely to prove a point to myself, but the problem is that I am rather used to how they fly and were built, and I seem to overestimate what the differences will allow me to get away with.