What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Assmbled my Minmus mission ship on 100 km Kerbin orbit. In fact, ship made of two parts, so this is not big achievement. But launching first part was kinda epic. You will ask me "why?", aren't you? Man, just look at the rocket.

64YK21M.jpg?1

Yup, that did took off sucsessfuly. And made it into orbi.t 9_6

Than I added the lander to my ship and found a problem: Minmus was terribly inclined at the moment. So, I decided to fly to the Mun.

uGT2nQp.jpg?1

Set up a career mode Munar base. TAC life support introduces an interesting challenge, storing enough power to last the night is harder than it might seem.

oQfcNFt.jpg

the speck in the background is the return module

Sent two kerbals hill-climbing in an RCS-assisted rover and though it worked brilliantly on the slope, I somehow managed to crash later on perfectly flat ground. Both Kerbals were killed. On the bright side that eased up my supply concerns.

Mn2DO3Q.jpg

Well I have not doen it yet today but I, using the MOD better than starting man, am going to attempt to send 3 vict.. err Kerbalnauts into a low Mun orbit to get me some crew reports in order to prepare for a Mun Landing and an EVA.

I am sure something is going to go horribly wrong and someone will die. muahahahahahahahahahahaha

:huh:

I went to Pol for the first time today.

It's full of spikey things ready to shred a lander.

Luckily I missed them all during a scary landing.

Patmal Kerman took the opprtunity to do a dump on the surface (at least that's what he looks like he's doing)

screenshot28.png

screenshot29.png

mmm... spikey.

Another couple of Mun landings and returns. Set down on a slope both times, the lander skidded over the surface but managed to stay upright.

Then worked on a rocket that's going to do interplanetary flybys. 3400 dV to LKO, I think that should be sufficient for all the planets. I also decided to have Jeb deorbit the rocket's third stage. This he did in his own BadS way: Separating from the interplanetary ship, flying the stage (which has its own command pod, for torque since I don't have reaction wheels) to deorbit it, then getting out and spacewalking back to the ship.

Today was a logistics day in my main sandbox game. A cargo ship departed from Jool, while my Tylo lander finally arrived to its destination. There was some bad luck with the timing, as the launch window for the cargo ship occurred almost exactly the same time as the lander was arriving to Jool's SoI. A bit later, the cargo ship was leaving Jool's SoI just 10 minutes before the lander went into Jool's atmosphere for aerobraking.

jool_logistics_1.jpeg

That cargo ship design wasn't very succesful, so I'm probably going to recycle the ship, once it arrives to Kerbin. The core should make a good docking hub for my second LKO station, while the thrusters can be used in the passenger ship carrying colonists to Laythe.

jool_logistics_2.jpeg

That was my first aerobraking attempt at Jool. The top speed was over 9000 m/s, making it a bit too extreme for my taste. Next time I'll stick to aerobraking at Laythe.

jool_logistics_3.jpeg

The lander is now docked with a fuel tanker near Tylo, ready to make its landing attempt. If it's succesful, I'm going to refuel it and land again, just to prove that it's really reusable.

After a couple days of tinkering, I finally got my SSTO into orbit. The X-7 flies!

It was far from the ideal mission. I used up all but a tiny fraction of my fuel boosting from 22,000 meters and saved just enough to de-orbit. I had to finish getting my periapsis to 70K with my RCS thrusters, and then had just enough rocket fuel left to get said periapsis low enough to aerobrake. I couldn't adjust my landing area prior to re-entry and came in over the ocean after two 'slowing down' orbits. Still, I've gotten rovers faster than this thing is willing to glide, so Neilden got home safe (without most of the rest of the jet, but safe).

Now I just gotta figure out how to do this with enough fuel to adjust orbit, dock and have some jet juice left when it's time to come home. But I feel like I overcame the biggest hurdle tonight.

Yes, I know this is all old hat to a lot of people here. Picture is Neilden jetting around, checking for damage or something.

ec953fbfd0e54f7ae1d56d7f904651e1.jpg

Edited by Captain Vlad

I tested "Kerpollo 1," what will be fairly close to the first craft I fly in my new series when 0.24 comes out. It'll maximize the science I can get with 0 unlocked tech nodes and remaining in LKO at the highest. The tricky part was, I have the capsule at the bottom so Jeb can get out and do science on the launch pad (and KSC. And the runway. And the shores. But I ain't running to the grasslands or swimming out far enough to get "water") and still take off so it counts (by my fairly specific definition) as a single launch and mission.

After 2 tests, I think I can get about 175 tech or so, enough to get up through the thermometer and large science lab with enough left over for either a gimbaling engine or a radial decopuler, making Minpollo an interesting idea.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Following the deaths of 3 Kerbals, and the skyrocketing costs of replacing crashed and destroyed vehicles, KSC director Gene Kerman chose to shutdown Project Penguin, the KSC's Munar program. Attention is now shifted to the new interplanetary projects, with two three kerbal crews going to the Duna and Eve systems to land on Ike and Gilly respectively.