What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I grabbed a class B/C asteroid, but it wasn't easy. I burned to intercept, but I burned too soon and I got to the intercept point before the asteroid by a couple of hours, so I just burned out of Kerbin's SOI in a course nearly identical to the asteroid.

Once in solar orbit, I caught up to it (only needed about 350 delta-V) and finally docked. Then swung around and got back into Kerbin SOI. Actually had enough fuel to get it into a nearly equatorial orbit (178 degrees). So a successful first day playing ARM. Not without glitches though. Three drafts on my asteroid ship, then the asteroid I caught was on the 3rd try because I burned too late on the first two.

Made a super heavy lifter designed to get extremely heavy things to orbit or fling astronauts out to other planets or possibly an asteroid. I call it the Nova V. The Kerbals should be more worried about the pollution from this 271 meter tall behemoth than any asteroids heading their way.

new save,

1: on the launch pad ~10science

2: hovering a little ~20science

3: fly higher ~50

4: low orbit ~50

5: high orbit ~50 (unlock goo)

6: Mun flyby ~150 (unlock material bay)

7: Minmus flyby ~150

8: high above Sun ~600

now i am done for the day

Found out that heavy lifters are now WAY easier with the new parts. I designed an asteroid encounter craft that clocked in at 56t. I used one of my typical 4-booster asparagus designs, and ended up way over-engineering it. I could have done it without the second tall tank in the center stack entirely.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After a quick VAB visit, the same basic design at 6x boosters would lift 200t easy. Holy crap! :confused:

Killed Bill :(

Got a bit carried away building super-lightweight space scooters. Which are great in space, but not much use for an abort if something goes wonky on the launcher. Bill was last seen strapped into the command seat trying to pull the nose up on the transfer stage as it wiped out into the sea. RIP little guy.

From now on we're launching the things unmanned, or including a pod with chutes in the stack that the boys can ride in until they're safely in orbit.

Downloaded 0.23.5. Detected a couple of type-C rocks. Farted around with the new parts; will definitely have to get the specs on them for planning purposes and see if the fuel tanks continue to follow the general doubling/equivalencies of the older parts.

Today the veteran Marius Kerman captured an A-class asteroid. Everything with the old (and I mean the very old) KSP parts. (exept the Claw)

Here is what he said about the mission.

Marius Kerman: "I don't need no fancy-shmanzy new rocket parts for capturing asteroids.

I do it the good old way, with the good old parts. 3.5m parts pfffft...!" :-P

http://imgur.com/a/FWGY7#0

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/FWGY7/embed"></iframe>

I'm hoping to have time tonight to play, but this morning before work I attempted to complete a docking procedure on my newly started space station. I tried to add a fuel module to it.

After about 15-30 minutes of looking like a cat trying to get into a hamster ball, I aborted my attempt for the morning and went to work. I will resume after work and hopefully have better results/be a little less frustrated.

I've been messing around with the new ARM stuff, so I launched a 27 ton base to Minmus. The rocket was very OP for this task, I ditched like half of the fuel, lol.

830tHGU.png

UDnTzzQ.png

I guess I could go as far as Laythe, or Duna/Eve at least.

By the way, it's amazing how small number of struts you have to add now to ensure your rocket's structural integrity.

Kerbol grand tour ships are not the privilege of Whackjobs anymore... Seriously, Mainsails are becoming the new ion engines. :D

Edited by jmiki8

Caught a couple asteroids, class C and got them into Kerbin Orbit.

Is anyone else getting the Pokemon Syndrome? Feeling like they "Gotta catch em all"?

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/pBzRP/embed"></iframe>

I captured my first asteroid, a tiny class A one, and landed it near KSC.

Q3fiHF5.png

I'll build a claw-equipped vehicle, and try to get it in front of the VAB.

The ship disintegrated upon contact with the ground, but Bill survived. It wasn't meant to be re-used, after all.:)

Next time I'll go for a bigger one, place it into LKO, and build a station on its surface.

Edited by jmiki8

Last night (well, very early this morning) I captured an asteroid and brought it to Kerbin, then crash landed it by the Astronaut Building (the rock survived…the ship did not).

This afternoon I've been playing from the quick save I had of the Tug and Asteroid in low Kerbin orbit. I decided to see what I could do about soft-landing the asteroid using the four parachutes on the nuke nacelles for landing the asteroid. Those parachutes are only meant to safely land the nuke nacelles that can be separated in case of an emergency (such as a launch failure), so I didn't really expect them to return the whole ship and rock.

x7l71pE.jpg

I used the engines to slow the ship/rock down (there's still more fuel left in the Tug than the engines can use up, even if firing all the way down from orbit), and at 5000 meters I cut the engines and deployed the chutes. The full-deployment altitudes of the chutes were tweaked in opposing pairs to fully open at 600 and 500 meters. The main deployment was somewhat violent, but everything held together.

Below, the ship and rock descended into the ocean at about 16 meters per second. Strangely, the green illuminators I have on the Tug (one high intensity, one low intensity) appeared to be able to shine right through the asteroid to light up the water below. When the rock hit the water, it slowed the Tug enough that by the time the Tug dipped into the water, none of its parts broke. The rock did indeed sink…but the strangely buoyant metal of the ship acted as a floatation device to keep the rock from falling to the bottom of the sea.

zKPNsXh.jpg

Cool! Now send out the Navy to tow it over to the KSC.

ncVuZqe.jpg

Landing the asteroid on land with this makeshift system was less successful. Below, I set it down a little west of KSC on four good chutes. Again, the lights were able to shine through the rock and illuminate the ground. (I wonder if they would illuminate a ship on the other side of the asteroid, or if it's just the surface of Kerbin that does this?)

tBIH5lu.jpg

The jarring impact rattled the Tug, but it stayed together… at least until the asteroid slowly and inexorably rolled over and smashed the Tug onto the ground (exploding one of the nuke engines). But surely the environmental impact from such a destruction of the nuke would have contained all the fuel elements.

09KLi9k.jpg

So a proper asteroid lander ship would appear to be in order. Perhaps the part that docks to the asteroid can have multiple chutes that stay with the asteroid, and the rest of the ship can separate earlier (after all chutes are deployed, and when the ship is low enough that they will stay within 2 km during the rest of the descent) and land by itself (using its RCS to move a little off to the side before landing).

Nothing. I have now been home 12 hours, trying to make this thing work. First it rotated sideways,so you had to tilt your head to the left, so I had to fix that. Then Once I fixed it, I thought ''Great. Lets go get some asteroids!'' but no. I start a new save, aaaaaaaaaaaand nothing. Locked into the space center view. Cant click VAB, cant click tracking station etc. Ok, exit and try again. Nope, exit button doesn't work either. Force close. repeat 5 times, try different settings, repeat another 5 times. Nope. Try the patcher, maybe its been updated to fix whatever this problem is. Of course, the patcher doesn't work. Ok, clean install. Nope, the download links on the main site are broken.

You shall not go to space today.

Edited by Dgr

I did nothing with asteroids today :)

First I spent a long time testing how the settings affected performance, until I got something I was happy with. (Everything down low, basically. I want a better computer...)

Then I knocked up a science probe based on the stock Z-Map satellite, adding science kit and more fuel to the probe itself and replacing the boosters on the launcher with the new big long ones. I confirmed that the science values haven't changed, at least for the experiments that work in space.

Now to get back to designing my cheap science mission for the challenge. The new SRBs are certainly going to help with that, 800 kuid is ridiculously cheap.

I went to catch my first asteroid, which meant, catch the biggest rock I could find. In this case, it was a 3050 tonne class E mammoth.

After finding out that conventional grabby-ships wont work on one, I developed the 3-claw docking system, which slaps onto the rock, after I have aligned with the center of mass. Then I can just dock tanks and engines to it (it has one central 2m dock, and 3 1m docks around the outside, very versatile) without worrying about messing up the COM alignment.

2014-04-03_00009.jpg

2014-04-03_00011.jpg

I'm now dragging this to LKO, so I can test other asteroid-grabbers on it.