What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Pulling the asteroids seems easier than pushing, so long as you can get around that issue.

Really? I haven't tried a D or E yet, but I had no trouble pushing a C.

I also found out today that C asteroids don't float, but they sink very very slowly. :)

Really? I haven't tried a D or E yet, but I had no trouble pushing a C.

I also found out today that C asteroids don't float, but they sink very very slowly. :)

I have only tried an E so far. Getting the CoM lined up just right on an uneven surface is the first challenge (for which I developed the multi-claw docking system), you'll likely just slowly spin that rock rather than push it. The next issue is controlling the rotation. Normally some RCS or SAS modules placed around the rock would help, but the claw likes to wobble the modules around (again, fixed by my multi-claw docking system). Finally, you'll need the strongest engines to even budge these things at a decent speed (or spend a good few hours with nuclear engines if you have the fuel and patience), and you'll need a lot of fuel for that engine.

I now have one in LKO where I test new designs, and I have come up with a good method of catching more giants.

1- Send the first intercept rocket. Uses 3 claws at the front to prevent wobble, features some RCS thrusters a good distance to the rear of the craft for more leverage to rotate the rock (but its still very slow), use this rocket to slow the asteroid into a stable orbit around kerbin.

2-send a few multi-claw docking systems, place one directly in line with CoM, and the rest evenly spaced around the rock.

3- send RCS thrusters with plenty of monoprop, all attached to looong stable towers (+ electrickery and such). This allows for optimal rotation control over the rock

4- Send engines, big ones, powerful ones.

5- send fuel as needed

6- enjoy your flyable class E.

I havent tested this all out yet, but based on experiments on my current class E, it should work.

I Discovered a flaw with my 'roid tug last night

Anyone else spot the issue

You are not talking about using air intakes as pylons for the engines, do you?

Nukes' nozzles to close to the asteroid and not producing any thrust?

I finished phase I of my space station construction in LKO at 100 KM.

It was an excellent learning experience for me in preparation for longer range missions, asteroid intercepts and potential rescue missions. These are the things I learned:

- A command module of some sort is a must for your space station. Once the delivery ship undocks, if you forgot one, the station is just space junk until you can get a new part delivered.

- Docking takes patience and very delicate movements. However, once you get that down, even an unbalanced craft can be manageable. My first docking attempt was easy. The second was miserable. After that, I was fine (I think, now having completed 4 separate attempts).

- Lights help.

- So do solar panels.

- Be careful when sending home your tug not to accidentally eject your only engine prior to slowing down for deorbit (thankfully Jeb was still close to the station and was able to EVA over to it until I get time to send a new return shuttle).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Next plans... asteroid scenarios to get a better idea of how that will work, then SCIENCE! to unlock the claw (just shy of it now) and asteroid fun.

Fresh save -> found E-class asteroid that will impact kerbin in 40 days.

MUST STOP IT. So gathering science as fast as I can.

I just killed Bill on the Mun. Killed the game in an attempt to beat the auto-save, but I failed. Obviously forgot to f5. ****.

Collected data on the new parts. Am dismayed to find the wet/dry fuel ratio for the new fuel tanks is 8.2:1 instead of 9:1.

Have begun considering using the new parts on my Eve ship, if for no other reason than to lower the part count. Am waiting for a KER patch to see if they'll work like I hope.

I'm playing through Career mode before playing with the new parts. Currently I'm flying to Duna and Jool. The only new ARM pieces I've messed with are the new SRB and the fuel tank/rocket hybrid. Hybrid rockets VERY strong. I got an encounter to Duna without even decoupling the upper ascent stage. The nuclear engines haven't even been used yet.

See the stream here

Later!

Nice! I didn't have the patience to max out carreer again, so I started directly with sandbox.

After taming a class A asteroid and giving it a home near the VAB, I've spotted a 974-ton class E rock, and captured it.

DBgIc1h.png

It's orbit is still highly eccentric, with the apoapsis being slightly behind the Mun's orbit (just far enough not to get into its SOI), and the periapsis being at around 1000 km. I'll build a large rocket, and get it into a circular LKO.

Here's another picture which shows the asteroid's real size:

0biCLst.png

By the way, how can you hide pictures and texts with that spoiler thingy?

Edited by jmiki8