What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I tried to build a horizontal designed foldable helicopter for my mission to Eve when i noticed, that infernal robotics are not working in .23.5. Well i will concentrate on my Duna mission then.

And i installed the Active Texture Management and Texture Replacer Mods which are doing excellent work.

They allow me to play at 2560 x 1440 with all settings maxed (antialiasing at 2 and pixel light count at 12) with a solid 50 - 60 frames... i can recommend that for sure!

I finally got around to test the new parts today. (I went on a visit to my old hometown just when the patch was released)

Always wanted to build something like this: :)

[imgur-album]<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/h8XWl/embed"></iframe>[/imgur-album]

Really nothing to share right now. a bit toooo difficult to launch.

I'm gonna iron out some flaws when i get home in a few days, then i'll probably share it in the SSTO-Showthread.

But for now my hands stopped shaking. :confused:

Edited by KerrMü

I got my first vessel to another planet ever. Well the moon of Duna but Duna is my next stop for my ion probe. Launched with a very small rocket 1.25 meter parts 3 stages no boosters and a poodle engine that somehow had fuel after my transfer. YAY!!!

I started equipping my still-unnamed "Large Ion Cruiser" for a mission to the Jool system (I'll probably visit Duna and Dres too).

dyB0OSn.jpg

Armgk5U.jpg

All the panels at the back are the reactor section (10 nuclear reactors with total charge generation of 3000 charge units/sec... need them for powering the ion engines...).

Edited by |Velocity|

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/Lj390/embed"></iframe>

I launched the Spunik with correct orbit parameters (at least higher point, lower point is 500m inside atmosphere to bring it down after some orbits).

Full stock as always. Horaay. :)

Edited by Iron4venger

I decided I would try my luck at another asteroid with my new craft, the KSA A.R.S.E. (Asteroid Recovery Space Explorer) MkIII. At first sighting of this asteroid it was thought to be made of popcorn....

znwn74.png

Upon further review it was determined the Nedley Kerman left the yellow bank of lights on.

This one was a class D and took some playing to get it into an orbit. I also have yet to try out the reverse docking port to make it a puller not a pusher. Maybe my next mission will be to try this, sine every orbit it will be point retrograde at the PE.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/Lj390/embed"></iframe>

I launched the Spunik with correct orbit parameters (at least higher point, lower point is 500m inside atmosphere to bring it down after some orbits).

Full stock as always. Horaay. :)

Nice launch accuracy :)

I started standardizing my lifter designs for 0.23.5. Since real rockets tend to be based on the "boosters, lower stage, and upper stage" pattern these days, I decided to follow the same pattern.

It didn't make much sense to build a lifter from the 1.25 m parts. The small engines are so powerful that the payload capacity would have been way more than you can reasonably build using the 1.25 m parts.

rockomin-2_lifter.jpeg

The Rockomin-2 is my standard light lifter, rated for 17 tonnes to LKO. It uses Skippers in the boosters and the lower stage, and a Poodle in the upper stage. The lower stage engine is throttled down to 80% while the boosters are attached to increase delta-v. Using four boosters in the (currently hypothetical) Rockomin-4 configuration would increase payload capacity to 24 tonnes.

rockomax-2_lifter.jpeg

The Rockomax-2 is very tall and thin, but it behaves surprisingly well. The boosters and the lower stage are upgraded to Mainsails, while the upper stage uses a Skipper. Payload capacity is 40 tonnes with the standard model and 55 tonnes with the (still hypothetical) four-booster model.

sls-2_lifter.jpeg

The SLS-2 is the SLS. It can lift 100 tonnes to LKO, being more limited by its weak engines than by its fuel capacity. The four-booster SLS-4 model increases capacity to 140 tonnes.

Using KS-25x4 engine clusters in the boosters would increase the payload capacity of the SLS to around 130/190 tonnes, which could be useful for 3.75 m payloads.

Been playing around with the new parts. Just got back into the swing of things, so I've got a lot of things to catch up on!

This is a prototype Arkingthaad Style lander, sans legs.

mjUj5gT.png

First and most immediately obvious thing is these things got power. All my old designs are null and void. Which I'm perfectly fine with. The horizon has been pushed back, and I can now set sail for some uncharted seas.

Marked four asteroids to plan missions for.

First is a class D impactor that requiresmy immedeate attention (in my game E is dangerous, D problematic), entering Kerbin's SOI in about 45 days.

Another one will pass Kerbin with a PE of 130km, entering SOI in about 48 days - perfect for capture I think.

The other two are also impactors, one of them a class E, but it is still several months before they will enter our SOI.

Launched two asteroid interceptors using newly developed engines. (Wow ... ! Got into orbit with the first stage.)

Tried yet another space plane design - it can fly, but not above 12 km / 300 m/s without control issues. Landing zone was inadequate, lets leave it at that ...

Launched and docked a fuel depot and conversion/orientation control/computer core/power storage (FDCOCCCPS) module to my space station.

The orbital stage was meant to dock, empty excess fuel into the depot, pick up another orbital stage and deorbit - but lacked monopropellant ... so docking failed in the first attempt, but managed to decircularize the stations orbit - which will also have kerbed up the planned rendesvouz with a Kethane transport.

So, a typical day at K.A.S.H. (Kerbal Administration for Space Hilarity)!

Agenda:

complete space station and get it operational

design a new mobile Kethane miner (balanced, dockable and at least two-manned)

retire the Duna Explorer (One) and design its successor

divert Duna mapping satellite to Ike if possible

return to Duna and visit Ike this time, too

sent a new Eve probe without faulty parachutes (...) - plus a mapping satellite this time

and:

take the new engines and return to Mun!

(mainly to relief the Munar mining operator from his solitary post and automate mining operations by upgrading the base with computer core)

Whelp... Operation Get A Kerbal On Duna was a success. Operation Bring Him Home Afterwards has not been so successful.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- Lift-off was rough. The center decoupler was getting too much stress with each drop of the outer tanks. I fixed it by cutting thrust completely before each decoupling, then pushing it back up.

- Encounter with Duna was fairly easy and even managed to swing by Ike on the way for some added science.

- Stabilized orbit around Duna near the ice caps. Accidentally decoupled my landing gear.

- Managed to land on the engines instead, gathered some science and planted my flag.

- Started the return flight home and realized that my return transfer stage has no solar panels.

- Didn't launch during a good launch window and now stuck in Kerbol orbit waiting for a closer intercept to Kerbin so I can use my last bit of fuel to try to get an intercept.

Next steps:

I have about 700m/s of fuel left. I'm hoping I can get a good intercept with Kerbin with that and aerobrake in for the landing. If not, I'll use the fuel to circularize the orbit as much as possible and send up a rescue ship. Unfortunately, no docking equipment, so I'll need to send up the claw to pull it in.

Any experienced rocket builders, can you critique my ship and suggest changes that would've made it more efficient? I'm less worried about the flight to Duna and more concerned with the return home. I'm pretty certain that I should've just used LV-909s instead of the LT-T30s for the ascent stage as they would've conserved fuel and I didn't realize how little thrust I would need to get back to orbit at Duna.

I tried to get some science from Minmus. Unfortunately, I pressed the space bar one times too often, cecoupling my landing/return stage from the science/probe core, leading to the whole contraption flying off into deep space.

Frustrated, I played something else.

For getting home, 700 m/s is plenty for making course corrections, so long as you don't need to make a big inclination change. If your orbit crosses Kerbin's, you should be able to get an encounter though you may be waiting a few orbits. If it doesn't, either burn retrograde so it does or look for another Duna encounter and make a gravity assist.

For getting home, 700 m/s is plenty for making course corrections, so long as you don't need to make a big inclination change. If your orbit crosses Kerbin's, you should be able to get an encounter though you may be waiting a few orbits. If it doesn't, either burn retrograde so it does or look for another Duna encounter and make a gravity assist.

Thanks. I'm not sure it crosses exactly at any point, but I know it comes close. I should've grabbed a screen of my orbit before I left. It was a weird orbit I ended up in. My takeoff from Duna wasn't in the direction I thought it would be and so I ended up very inclined initially to now I think only slightly inclined.

Could it possibly be any harder to hit land on Laythe? It doesn't even have to be where I planned, so long as my rover doesn't end up in water.

But I made it, I put a rover on Laythe while running FAR.

Well I took and decided to leave Gilly, or rather stop my craft from hoping on Gilly. I ditched the outer tanks since the were empty and the science wasn't needed for this test.

2ikoya.jpg

I have 154 units of fuel left n the tank, and I think it will be enough to get this thing home. If not well I get to test out the KSA A.R.S.E. (Asteroid Recovery Space Explorer) in a ship rescue mission. This should be fun!!

ohtvgm.png

Tried making a Kerbal cannon.

Hehe, Me too.

It must be that time of year!

Today, I pulled my metaphorical mad scientist's cap over my literal wild messy hair, and rebooted my experiments in the field of kerbobalistics.

Y688mtI.png

I'll get to the edge of space yet.

For full details of the experiment, and previous ones, click the link in my sig.