What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have deployed a Proboid Mk. I science satellite in orbit around Jool. Tomorrow it will drop a capsule with science equipment into the atmosphere, which will hopefully transmit back all the gathered information before being crushed by gravity.

qAZ1swK.png

And i did my first complete IVA Mun Mission using the RasterPropMonitor Mod together with ScanSat and VDS Hullcams... from launch to return. Quite a different experience.

I went to Duna, Apollo-style! (before actually doing an Apollo-style mission to the Mün)

With second stage in the background

bOioOoM

b8YgD4X

I don't have a screenshot of the launch vehicle yet but I'll make a forum post soon. Too late for that now.

EDIT: since the screenshots don't want to work, here's the link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/2OIYL#0

This mission was a huge success, I still can't believe the asteroid is now in a stable orbit. I'm planning on creating a video of the KAID Device in action and adding it to my Youtube channel. This update has proven to be lots of fun!
Impressive work! I expected a few people to try ramming the asteroids, good to see someone's pulled it off.

For my part, I spent literally hours last night and this evening planning one planetary transfer. I needed to leave LKO, pass the Mun, then reach Eve at exactly the right point on its orbit to use its gravity to match inclinations with Moho. Even with Precise Node and Alexmoon's planner, it was a tall order. And I still don't think I've got it quite right after all the effort.

Much fire! me want launcher! Give it to me! also I launched an over engineered MUN lander which got 4 biomes in one launch.

Well, version 2.2 now has proper control (I'd rigged up a redocking mechanism, stock, inside the decoupler which worked great until I noticed the small docking port is too small and wobbles). 2.1 I forgot to add power generation for longer missions. :P

I've reduced the part count slightly too. 280 on the pad, and 260~ after tower separation. With some tweaking I might be able to remove the tower requirement.

PS, love the 3m command pod!

I have put a Jeep on Duna. It's pretty good & stable! Equipped with a powerful gyroscope that helps to regain control in any situation! Even when travelling downhill at 40m/s !!! I'll make a video about it... someday...

http://i.imgur.com/1rN36uy.png

http://i.imgur.com/FHJEvN4.png

http://i.imgur.com/W955f0j.png

Also... this is my 100th post!!!

I'm ready to recieve my million (preferably american) bucks now.

Break Dancing Jeep~

Tonight's rocketeering included establishing a small Munar station to be used as a staging point for multiple landings. Crafts clockwise from left are i) 3-man service module to ferry crew from Kerbin station to Munar station (and back), ii) Supply module containing spare fuel cell and equipment, iii) Large lander capable of significant equipment payload on underside mounts and multiple landings/orbits before refuelling. Technically a 5/7 man capsule although currently crewed by 3 as it's being used for long-term landings. Central connecting them all is the orbital lab.

The Munar setup is a 'dry run' prior to establishing a presence outside of Kerbin.

KJGSosZl.png

I landed and returned my Apollo 17 successfully (the layout was exactly like the Apollo missions). After 6 successful mun missions from Apollo 11 to 17 (apart from 13, I recreated the incident) I am now comfortable with my rockets and my ability to rendezvous and dock in orbit, all manually, hopefully I can go on to achieve greater feats in the near future.

I tried for the umpteenth time to recover a derelict probe from a highly inclined elliptical orbit over Kerbin. I learned the hard way that the launchers I was using were way too powerful -- it took a launch pad accident* for me to discover that the core stage had enough oomph to get into LKO. And after realizing that plane changes eat up a LOT of dV, I figured out that I should wait until the probe's ascending/descending node was over KSC and launch in the appropriate direction.

-----

*The pad accident involved a set of 6 small SRBs which didn't fire after I used time warp to shift the launch time to daylight hours. Does anyone have any idea why time warp breaks SRBs?

I stacked 8 engines on top of each other, each with enough fuel that when I got to them, the rocket would have a TWR between 1.4 and 1.5.

I then launched straight up, apparently around dusk- and dove into the sun.

I hauled the captured Class E asteroid to a 400 km equatorial orbit around the Mun. In the process, I had a lot of time to learn how to best use my heavy asteroid tug. Ultimately the best idea was to run the engines at 1/3 thrust with SAS on, RCS off, and pivot locked. Sometimes SAS would start doing something stupid, but switching it off and on a few times would tell it to behave. A few detachable RCS pods would have helped to turn the asteroid around faster, but they were not strictly necessary.

asteroid_wheel_7.jpg

The asteroid will become the core of a gigantic kethane refinery. Kethane allows for interesting infrastructure projects, but it makes exploration way too easy. As a compromise, I'll assume in this game that no kethane refinery can be smaller than 2000 tonnes, and that kethane can't be found in the smallest moons.

I hauled the captured Class E asteroid to a 400 km equatorial orbit around the Mun. In the process, I had a lot of time to learn how to best use my heavy asteroid tug. Ultimately the best idea was to run the engines at 1/3 thrust with SAS on, RCS off, and pivot locked. Sometimes SAS would start doing something stupid, but switching it off and on a few times would tell it to behave. A few detachable RCS pods would have helped to turn the asteroid around faster, but they were not strictly necessary.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/asteroid_wheel_7.jpg

The asteroid will become the core of a gigantic kethane refinery. Kethane allows for interesting infrastructure projects, but it makes exploration way too easy. As a compromise, I'll assume in this game that no kethane refinery can be smaller than 2000 tonnes, and that kethane can't be found in the smallest moons.

The problem with designs like this is that the gimbal on the engines will work against the RCS and reaction wheels, because engines don't correct their behavior according to where they are versus the center of mass. In that situation, SAS will try to steer in one direction, and get an opposite result. If the engine gimbals are locked, and RCS and reaction wheels are present, then SAS will behave as normal.