What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Found out that the VNG ejection system and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement don't mix.

Instead of three kerbals being shot straight up out of the cockpit, we get this:

u8dli3R.png

Edit: The cockpit had been resting over where the pile of kerbals is. The force of them spawning shoved the plane back down the runway :P

Edited by Boomerang

Clever idea!
Attaching the separate control sections wasn't my idea, it's something I came across mentioned on the forums. I did figure out putting them "inline" in the tug at launch, I thought it looked better that way, but ironically that's one of the aspects I'd tweak slightly if I launch another similar tug.

Please tell me there isn't an interplanetary stage named Cersei that Jaimie's waiting to hook back up with. (Now that he's disposed of Bran, of course.)

No, unfortunately. But I could certainly use that configuration in a future grand tour!

Sent my first attempt at an Apollo-style landing mission to the Mun. Everything went great except for the CSM draining all the fuel out of the ascent stage (it's okay, the descent engine was over-fueled anyway) and the ascent stage refusing to separate and trying to drag the descent module to orbit with it. Guess I made it too compact and tried to be too fancy with the alternating fuel tanks. Eventually just ended up transferring fuel back to the descent engine and treating the whole thing like a single-stage lander, which actually bought me an extra ~200m/s. Just one more reason to love the LV-909.

Sent my Duna mapping satellite over to Ike.

Transmitted map data from my SCANsats at Duna, Muna and Minmus.

Docked a Kethane transport from Minmus at my KSS.

Found my Minmus encounter for my old Explorer One - again - for the third time - sometimes they just do not want me to get anywhere ...

Figured out how to use Ship Manifest now that it is using Connected Living Space.

Built and hexed (unlimited fuel, hacked gravity) a large assembly of almost all engines in the game into an orbit around Kerbol for easier testing of my KIDS settings. I think I have them all atmosphere rated now and less powerful while in atmospheres - as it should be, at least for me. Talk about killing return options from Eve even more?!

Next up:

Safely park my old Explorer One on Minmus' surface to avoid disasters from the nuclear engines.

Add something nice to my KSS as it looks a bit empty/simple right now, probably more crew quarters and/or fuel storage.

Prepare for another try on a Moho probe landing.

Finalize/decide on a design for a new interplanetary ship.

I sent a lander mission back to minmus with 5 toroidal aerospikes 2500dv and a t/w of 90 (on minmus) and 5 of each experiment. I then spent an hour or two "bouncing" around the different biomes before heading home and performing a chuteless soft landing on the roof of the KSC, in all I clocked about 1600 science points and now I'm worknig towards doing the same thing on the mun, although for this one I'm going to use an orbital station for refueling and the return of all my science due to the increased DV requirements of landing on mun.

Edit: just point out, this is not my first minmus mission and I have happily landed and returned from laythe and duna a number of times but I heard a rumor that there was a hella lot of science to be had by heading back and cleaning house :D

Edited by FREEFALL1984

Had inadvertantly gone back to a QS that I didn't want, had to bring back my minimus mission, then assembled a probe and sent it to a low mun polar orbit with gravaton detector to gather science from it. then put a lander on farside crater, then moved to the large canyon.

Will be beefing up batteries on the probe for next launch to put it to Eve, and then one to Duna.

I began my design testing phase of my plans for a Jool-5 challenge run. I'm trying not to look at what other people did too much and just come up with my own unique design.

First step is design a low mass, small lander for the low gravity moons. Prototype was mostly successful when testing the ion engine in LKO and reentry into Kerbin. Next step is to send it to Mun or Minmus to test landing it there. My current concerns are that I won't be able to generate enough power to slow it down for a landing or that the solar panels will not be effective enough so far from Kerbol. Depending on how the landing on Mun goes, I may swap the ion for a small fuel tank and some liquid fuel engines.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yesterday I failed to record the right stuff, but I just figured it was because I was sick. Today I failed at something I have done many times......but that was only a simulation.

Yeah a simulation!

Carried on with my Grand Tour after completely (I mean, completely) refuelling my ship around Eve. Not too long later, I remembered why I don't go to Moho much:

lAvAF2t.png

This is in a high Moho orbit. I used 70% of my fuel getting from Eve orbit to Moho orbit, and I'm not even in the final orbit yet, although being Moho, that won't be too difficult. The main thing now is to send an emergency refuelling vessel for Enterprise, otherwise she's not going to make it anywhere.

(Sure, they're all smiling in the picture now, but only Jeb was grinning like an idiot the whole time we burnt up our fuel reserves. No different to usual, it seems...)

This is in a high Moho orbit. I used 70% of my fuel getting from Eve orbit to Moho orbit, and I'm not even in the final orbit yet, although being Moho, that won't be too difficult. The main thing now is to send an emergency refuelling vessel for Enterprise, otherwise she's not going to make it anywhere.

That's why I don't do Moho anymore either. I think it's the highest dV-requirement place you can visit. Huge burns, and not that interesting of a planet. I'd rather go to Duna, Eve, or Jool's moons.

I constructed MunCraneOne and all the modules for my Munar base. I expect to have 8+ habitation pods, several science labs, battery stacks, solar collectors, light towers (of multiple colors), rovers, a fueling station for rocket and rcs fuel. Now I just need to figure out where to put the base on the Mun. Near one of the arches, the memorial?