What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Biggest lie in KSP:

Just one more test flight, and then I'll go to bed.

So true. I'm terribly tired, because I just had 5 hours of sleep tonight, just because that stupid SSTO had to be changed since I misaligned the payload docking port... Center of Thrust and Center of Mass were not aligned and it got uncontrollable in thin atmosphere. Of course moving that docking port also affected the truck that brings the payload over... Well, at least the last of quite a few "one more" tests was a success. Although the plane didn't go to a stable orbit, it was nearly there, and definitely good enough to deploy the probe it had carried up (apoapsis at 75000 m, periapsis at 58000 m). Only bad thing: When finally circularizing the orbit of the probe using its own ion engine I crashed one of the solar panels into the spaceplane. Still not catastrophic, this just means I will not be able to go to full throttle with the probe for more than a few seconds, but "nearly full throttle", which can be maintained until the xenon runs out is probably enough. The return of the plane was a near catastrophe, since it had very little fuel left and without some fuel in the front tanks it has an awful tendency to stall. Happened two times, both when I tried to do a turn to get it above solid ground. Well, in the end Jebediah got the plane stable again, just 600m above the sea, and he even managed a beautiful landing afterwards.

Biggest lie in KSP:

Just one more test flight, and then I'll go to bed.

Dito.

I'm still struggling to get to moho.

My first try,yesterday,or maybe the day before was quite successful. I just didn't have any fuel to circularize an orbit. 2k fuel.

Then I improved my ship...and since then I didn't even get into mohos SOI.

But NOW I have a ship in the orbit,perfectly inclined,ready to go to moho.The alarm is set. I hope 13k fuel last this time. Trial and error could be my middle-name.. or a racehorse's name.

Just got done designing a rocket that will, hopefully, be capable of getting my Eve Ascent vehicle to orbit. Bad news is that I can't launch it because my poor computer refuses to load it on the launch pad. I'd post pics of the whole stack, but I couldn't view the whole thing at once in the VAB.

Today was one of those days that was too intense for me to have a spare second for a screenie. I was trying to put the finishing touches on Kerbatar 2, when the UNTHINKABLE happened. No, not that, I mean the actual unthinkable.

I had to dock two giant bazillion-part ships together sideways using a standard docking port and completely unbalanced RCS... IN KERBIN'S ATMOSPHERE because my maneuvers ended up surreptitiously dipping my orbit down below 70km. O_O It took me all friggin' day. But I eventually finished and nudged the wobbly, spinning blob of ships back into space.

Then I built a Mun Base in a tube... except not exactly in a tube because it had big metal plates sticking out.

More testing and preparation for the Jool mission. I should probably get onto making a mission thread for that...

Anyway, refitted the Laythe lander's capsule to double as an ultra-low-gravity ion lander to handle Pol and Bop, and perhaps more importantly, built a lifter for the current version of the transfer ship. The transfer ship has a ridiculously overfueled ion ship for transporting the crew home, and carries a staggering 10800 liquid fuel for six nuclear engines. That's more than many of my previous lifters. It masses a little over 167t. The lifter I built managed to carry that beast into a 100km circular orbit and still have a little left in the final stage. I think I'll put it into the Spacecraft Exchange soonish.

Sure, it's not as big as some folks, but it is unquestionably the largest ship I've ever constructed. It will tug the Laythe lander behind it, and push the Vall lander ahead of it. Still don't feel up to Tylo... perhaps the next time I visit Jool will be with a proper Jool-5 mission. After this time, of course. 165 days remain until the launch window.

Oh, and I failed at spaceplanes again.

(Please note: "staggering" amounts of fuel are stated relative to my previous missions. Not for direct comparison to extremely large ship builders.)

Edited by Concentric

Last night, I failed a munar landing on career mode due to a miscalculation and had to do a flyby instead, but Jeb brought home enough points to unlock the landing gears.

Then I started work on the fifth of my Mariposa series of planes. Each iteration seems to attract more phantom forces that tumble the plane until I cut throttle and then floor it again. Kraken bait? Bill managed a standard landing in a field so success!

After having my computer in the shop for the last two weeks (would have been only one if my frigging answering machine hadn't #$@!ed up) I sent my Moho flybye probe off on it's mission. It, along with an Eve probe (and a Duna mission that's vanished for some reason), had been sitting in Kerbin orbit waiting for the right time for the transfer. I let MJ handle the initial transfer maneuver, then fiddled with nodes until a had an encounter. The final result was a 20km peri, going 5km/s, good enough to get high/low science transmissions, which, happily, was the original intent of the mission.

And so, I made my first encounter and pass of another planet. Yay me! :cool:

screenshot1.png

Only took 400+ hours of playing time.

Didn't pay attention to the ground as well as I should have... and tried to land on the edge of a crater on mun..... let's just say there's a rescue ship on the way to pick up the stranded explorers...

Moho, you soulless brown piece of rock!

The gods shall curse you into oblivion!

Remember how enthusiastic I was a few hours ago?

Even though it resembled a miracle to get a 300 tons ship into orbit (95% fuel).

But still nt enough fuel to brake and circularize that damn flying stone.

It was a nice fly-by.

Looks like I have to switch to nuclear power,or antimatter..

And a few minutes ago, I was about to send a tiny probe...at least.

But the game crashed,due to heavy memory load or the 7 stages consisting of 1.5 kilotons.(this stupid thing made me a bit paranoid about fuel)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tested the Antares Colossus, Constructed the Orion cruiser and launched the SpaceDock into orbit today.

My research center is getting some new projects too (in the form of the Near Future tech and KSP interstellar mods). I may finally rescue Jeb's corpse from his current escape trajectory out of the solar system.

Testing a prototype Monorail

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I used docking ports to link track pieces but I'm not happy with that... I need something that keeps the individual pieces as separate crafts but still keeps them lined up enough to drive over.

I figure that way I could travel beyond the physrange, how awesome would that be?

I worked on my next long range ship. 3-men command pod and a hitchhiker for a crew of 3 should give them enough space for long travels.

Fully fueled, it has about 9000m/s of d/v but the launcher can only handle it to a 80km high orbit when half fueled. I then have to fill in the tanks in orbit.

I also worked on a new flag and I'm ashamed at my lack of skills. I basically just copy/paste elements and then try filters at random.

TxcLxfB.png

More rover designing. I couldn't make the rollcage on my latest design work, so I went back to look at an older one, that had been good in tumbles but didn't have the delta-V to take off from Duna. Lengthened the chassis and realised it's ridonkulously good at handling crashes. I can drop this thing out the sky at 50 miles an hour (23 m/s) and drive away afterwards.

Attempted to capture an asteroid - failed. But it burned up about half of the remaining time to my Jool window, so pretty soon I should be launching that mission. I'll have to come up with a name for it...