What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Gilly and Ike are great targets for those just setting foot (or rocket) into interplanetary space. They're each small, low dV requirements to get to, and provide unique challenges to someone who has mastered the quirks that Mun and Minmus offer.

Then that's where I'll go! Is it a huge fuel difference or just a munar transfer + 1 correction/readjustment + landing/takeoff + 1 or 2 maneuvers home?

Checked out the new parts in the Vertical Propulsion Emporium, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74625-0-23-5-Vertical-Propulsion-Emporium-v0-18a-%2821st-Jun-2014%29

Flew the Near Future Propulsion "Integrated Lander" stock craft, just a short hop to the VAB roof: https://flic.kr/p/o4dwzz I ran out of fuel while hovering down and hit the ground at around 25 m/s, but the legs soaked it up and the ship wasn't scratched.

Then did some more studies into Kerbin's water.

Found a great spot for my Mün colony from orbit. I then landed with a craft and planted a flag to mark the crater.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/43x64/embed"></iframe>

Today I tested a few different rover designs. I drove one of them about 32 km to the nearest mountain range near KSC, and drove it to the top of an 1800m tall peak with 3 kerbals. It was a great test for a future Duna rover, as I have been dissatisfied with my current rovers.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by zilfondel

I've spent my day trying to figure out how, with the help of MeCripp's writing the .cfg, to get the antennas and probes that come with the FASA mod to work with RemoteTech.... I've gotten most of them working, but a few still elude fixing.

Been trying to get a space plane that actually reaches orbit. For some reason, they all start tumbling like crazy at about 15km up, after which it takes me several km to get them back straight. Very annoying.

Been trying to get a space plane that actually reaches orbit. For some reason, they all start tumbling like crazy at about 15km up, after which it takes me several km to get them back straight. Very annoying.

Make sure the center of mass is in front of the center of lift. :)

Sent a bunch of fuel to low kerbin orbit using no Kerbodyne/ARM/Nasa parts (personal challenge I set on myself), around 3 orange tanks of fuel. I was gonna try to dock it to my space station, but it's so heavy and big (over 100 tons) that I doubt it would stay on with just a regular docking port. I'm thinking of attaching a docking port hub to it and making it a secondary station, or just replacing the old one.

The lifter was 1000 tons. Very inefficient but lots of fun to fly! I plan to use the fuel from the tanks for a Jool-5 mission (or maybe just a Laythe mission, haven't really been there yet and if I want to go anywhere at Jool it'll be Laythe)

Design, testing, preflight and inadequate note-taking for a mapless mission, as in the challenge I've linked to in my signature. I have a big plan that I'm hoping to work up towards, that involves rover-docking on Minmus's surface to form a mission ship from five or six component ships, then launch into Minmus orbit, do a full orbit, land again, escape Kerbin, do a full orbit around the Sun and encounter Kerbin again, then aerobrake down to LKO, perform a full orbit, then go to Mun, do a full orbit, land and return to Kerbin safely.

OL2cJN.png

A rover component, with a Kerbin TWR of 1, being tested. It possesses a Clampotron at the front and a Clampotron Jr diagonally above it to ensure a strong docking connection.

That's the plan. It'd be rather high-scoring, so hopefully I can pull it off. But first, I need to be able to reliably reach Minmus without the map. So, today I built something simpler, and performed an orbit of Kerbin, a flight to Minmus, an orbit, a landing, then a transfer down to Mun, a landing, an orbit, and a safe return to Kerbin. I took notes on the way, referring to MET, target speeds, directions, altitudes and burn times rather inconsistently. "At 1d3h, burn 45s due south", "At 800km, burn retrograde until 125m/s". This inconsistent incompleteness of my note-taking, and lack of off-hand or noted knowledge of Minmus's orbital characteristics lead to the later failure:

rKhP4E.png

After the flight, as I had my notes, I reverted it, and began to do it again from my notes, without using the map. My notes on the launch itself were rather incomplete, but I got into orbit anyway.

d7jvrC.png

I think I even managed to match inclinations rather well, following my notes - particularly due to my later showing.

DBGLke.png

T8uJWl.png

It was a whole orbit before I needed to fire for the injection, which happened to be one of the ones where I had noted altitude, "prograde" as direction, and target velocity. There was a little scare for a moment, as I overshot my target velocity a little, and appeared to be escaping. I timewarped to the point that my notes told me I would have a Minmus encounter.

DUOK5e.png

And, lo and behold, Minmus! Not an encounter, it was just within clear visible range. If I'd made note of Minmus' orbital characteristics, or thought to check the wiki for them, perhaps I could have approached this like a docking. As I didn't, I just flailed around wildly, hoping to edge close enough to catch its SoI and know where to burn.

OJNex0.png

Eventually, however, I had to face the fact that it really wasn't going to happen. I reverted again, and left that save. Perhaps I'll fly it a few times with the map, and take better notes: that should help. Also, I probably want to try taking smaller steps to my target plan: perhaps try for a mapless Minmus mission first?

I did my first landing on Moho. Sadly after switching screen recording software, todays vides came out pretty blocky... I should have made sure that the quality setting was OK before I did the landing... I'll cut it together and upload it nevertheless, once all 5 Kerbals are back, yet that'll take some time, since the transfer window is still 70 (in game) days away - they will spend this time in low orbit, less than 11000 m above Mohos surface. Good, that none of them is claustrophobic.

Meanwile, here's a screenshot of Kirlas and Bob, in front of their lander and the flag they planted.

P7Thezx.jpg

Also, since the optimal transfer window for Eve is just a few (in game) days away, I've started sending fuel for the lander I've been talking about a few (real life) days ago, which will be sent off when the escape angle of its relatively high orbit around Kerbin is OK, approximately in 10 (in game) days. My plan is to send at least 10 tankers over, together with the lander.

I flew my first real mission after installing FAR and DRE. It was in a career mode game, where I ignore all the grindy stuff, doing only crew reports and EVA reports (once in the orbit and once on the surface of every planet) and collecting one surface sample per planet. I chose Duna as the target, because I haven't been there since January.

duna_mission_00.jpeg

duna_mission_01.jpeg

duna_mission_02.jpeg

I launched a reusable mothership on one rocket and an expendable lander on another rocket. FAR makes it really easy to launch large payloads with limited parts.

duna_mission_03.jpeg

duna_mission_04.jpeg

I was a careful when aerobraking at Duna, because I hadn't done any aerobraking without heat shields yet. The lander protected most of the ship, but engine nacelles were exposed to reentry heat.

duna_mission_05.jpeg

duna_mission_06.jpeg

Landing on Duna was the hardest part. I noticed only after starting the descent that I had forgotten landing struts, so I had to quickload many times before I found level ground to land.

duna_mission_07.jpeg

Ike, on the other hand, was easy.

duna_mission_08.jpeg

duna_mission_09.jpeg

duna_mission_10.jpeg

duna_mission_11.jpeg

duna_mission_12.jpeg

Recently, in KSP, I:

Observed that wack-a-kerbal things cannot be recycled.

IJCRe1j.png

Struggled with a glitched lifter.

h47ZPDU.png

Slightly mispositioned separation thrusters, and got dangerous, if cool flippiness.

pUrprpM.gif