What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Test Flight of a 3 Kerbal Jool system explorer. Plan to add probes to the design after shortening the four pairs of drop tanks. The big NovaPunch Nuke comes with built in continuous generator so no solar panels are needed,

XzFGc4W.jpg

RDmtHop.jpg

Today I have been working on aircraft with the original intent of creating a space plane. However, in the process I discovered that my designs that are not based on propellers.... Suck.... Or I don't know how to fly them. So, with that in mind, I have been working with designing a single jet engined trainer. The following is what I came up with so far.

The Kerb-15

LMgaxgK.png

Quite small, and fairly hard to handle. During flight, I found that the elevators were too small to adequately lift the nose. Pitch control was pretty poor, and if I lowered flaps, it was impossible to pull out of a shallow dive the plane seemed to favor. It did not survive landing, but Jeb survived. As a side note, though it's hard to tell from the picture, the entire tail deflects, thus the rudder attached to it is quite useless. Test flew it 3 or 4 times.... On the last flight, Jeb died on landing. (None of the flights survived landing.....)

Kerb-15A

iaZicSg.png

Slightly longer fuselage, and replaced the tail-plane with one where the entire assembly deflects (like what you see on the F-16). Much better control over pitch. Unfortunately, it picked up a distinct downward counterclockwise roll. Ailerons were able to compensate for it, but obviously, not something to keep. Cause is still unknown however, so I may take it out and see if I can identify the problem. Again, did not survive landing, but again pilot (Bill) survived.

Kerb-15A2

TUKX37m.png

Final version flown for this evening. Aircraft is fairly stable, although it's a little bit of a handful to get in the air. I suspect there's asymmetric lift being generated by the wings, but I am not sure how to correct this. Bob set an altitude record for fixed wing, air-breathing aircraft by reaching 31km. However, control had been lost at roughly 21km up. After costing up to the record altitude, the plane remained uncontrolled until it had fallen back to 8000m. Again, test plane did not survive landing, but Bob survived. (You can see the wreckage of his flight, just to the right of the plane in this picture.)

I see myself doing a lot more testing in the future, and I need to learn how to land jets....

Edited by Fizwalker

Decided I wanted 1950's style fins that would put a Cadillac to shame. Oddly enough it morphed into a hugely capable 7 jet 4 nuke engine SSTO. Interestingly enough it also made ground clearance for landing gear far easier. Also decided to visit my first easter egg I went heavy and parachuted suborbital flights and flew in screaming SSTO's for a proper investigation.

OJX1lH6.jpg

ZDrX5ni.jpg

nr4rfNl.png

iMFGUBS.jpg

2aZKduy.jpg

Edited by sumrex

Today I created a ridiculously safe truck. But then Jeb stole it...

Wait, are you seriously going to grab this?

hDvuM1s.jpg

Oh god no! Not the launcher prototype!

uGI8iqp.jpg

;.; Jeb, It was nice knowing you. Bye.

naWAQud.jpg

:confused: HOW DID HE SURVIVE THAT? ONLY TWO PARTS BROKE!

2ouHJyT.jpg

This seriously happened. I wonder why the truck is so safe... I have to bombard it with ICBM's!

I finally got some serious free time to spare on KSP now that my studies at University for this year are over. I have started career mode, so to get to grips with the game before 0.24 is out. After some wondering around Kerbin I finally prepared manned mission to orbit Minmus and return with science. There was one Kerbal onboard and everything went smoothly until about half of his return trip when he died because I forgot to pack him some food and water. Craft continued towards Kerbin unmanned but it was too fast and on too steep trajectory so I had nice fireworks to enjoy in.

Well, I had nothing to do at the time, so I built a satellite. A satellite, for the Kerbin Cup, that way all of my kerbals can watch it!:P

R4MlFB.jpg

I know, it has too much solar panels... I got carried away while building.:D

After giving up on Moho for now, I am preparing to re-visit Duna. Technological improvements allow me to land in every Biome except for the polar regions this time to get more science out of the operation. And on top of that I will visit Ike as well. So I brought quite some fuel and set up a new hub in a low orbit...

Reactor core in the center, one tanker below and above. And the lander (with travel stage) at the top. Now waiting for the arrival of Kerbalnaut Bob. :)

3VY8JUW.jpg

Finally made a working SSTO spaceplane. Jeb and Bill then stole it after Jeb heard reports of pretty lights at the north pole.

WsBJLW9.jpg

Also broke my jet speed record, Jeb clocked it in at 2.1km/s by the time he reached the pole

Grand Tour Update (continued from page 847 and 849)

Today Kurt Kerman explored Laythe with the Spaceplane III and brought back a whole load of samples and scientific recordings from both atmosphere and surface for further analysis in the mobile processing lab. After cruising through a dense cloud soup he successfully landed on an island south of the equator and took a long walk on the surface before returning to the Arthur C. Kerman, waiting in a 75 km parking orbit.

k1jxxoL.png

Mods used on Spaceplane III: ScanSAT and Spaceplane Plus

Today I created a ridiculously safe truck. But then Jeb stole it...

:confused: HOW DID HE SURVIVE THAT? ONLY TWO PARTS BROKE!

This seriously happened. I wonder why the truck is so safe... I have to bombard it with ICBM's!

Those plates and iBeams withstand impacts of 80 m/s... if it landed on the roof, it is most likely to survive A LOT.

I docked for the first time today!

H86hQjJ.png

There were many a nailbiting moment, but I finally did it. Took me almost a week since buying the game, but there it is! Now to add fuel tanks and solar panels...

Today I think I may have finally ended my streak of being Kraken free for so long. In fact it now seems to attack anytime I time warp my asteroid capture craft, let me explain a bit. I started off my day by timewarping to get to a point where I could raise me PE from being a Kerbin impact, when Kerbal Alarm Clock informed me that my Gily lander had a maneuver that needed to be done. I jump to the Gilly craft and boom craft disappears and the altimeter spins out of control with 9's and 0's. I go back to the space center and......black screen, except for the time warp bar at the bottom. Now this is where it gets weird (yeah I thought it was pretty weird already too). I relog into the game and go into the tracking station and look for my Gilly lander, but it is no long in the list of flights nor is there debris of it anywhere around the sun. Reload the quicksave I had just before I jumped to the Gilly lander and all is fine...so far. I make the maneuver for the Gilly lander without issue, so I go back to the asteroid ship to get ready for the maneuver that will happen in a very short amount of time. I get to the maneuver fine enough and even complete it but realize it will not serve what I need so I revert once again, and this is where things go from ok to terribad. Now whenever I time warp the craft explodes, I turn off the RCS, SAS, and even the lights but it still explodes as soon as I start to time warp. I log out and it still explodes, I cuss at it and still it explodes. The command pod seeming disappears as soon as I hit the time warp buttom causing it to all explode, including the asteroid (I thought that was suppose to happen?). So needless to say it made for some interesting video today......lucky I managed not to swear, I think, too much. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Did a little more testing of my "Mun Crane". I really didn't need the crane part but I thought it might be useful for later. Man this thing was a real female dog to land, it had 4 small engines coupled to it for the descent. Even with the boom pointing upwards it was a little unbalanced so I had to alter the thrust on two engines and start slowing down early because anything over half throttle would cause it to spin and pitch beyond my control. I dropped an earlier version of one of these somewhere on the other side of Mun a while back, it's a bit more stable than anything else I've sent up there with wheels. Still will create a spray of debris if you hit one of those 'invisible' ridges going fast enough... Parts include RCS thrusters for artificial downforce and an uphill push from behind if necessary, 8 RTGs because I'm tired of looking at solar panels right now, 4 clampotron Jrs in case I want to carry multiple parts for a distance, a BTDT from SCANSat for anomaly hunting (its primary purpose), some stuff from KAS obviously, and some Infernal Robotics for the crane itself to tilt, raise, rotate, all the things you'd expect a crane to do.

KSP2014-06-3021-08-03-82.jpg~original

Edit: I also played around with one of the big soccer balls earlier. I was testing how high they would bounce since I haven't really done much with them before... I was surprised. I thought I forgot to record it but lo and behold, Shadowplay saved the day. There's a little "oops" at the end, I have no idea why I pitched down like that instead of back up... Just ignore the music, I didn't realize I captured audio from Netflix while I was doing this so I covered it up after uploading. The first minute or so is irrelevant but I'm still amused that I can land on the VAB :)

Edited by Duke23

Today I think I may have finally ended my streak of being Kraken free for so long. In fact it now seems to attack anytime I time warp my asteroid capture craft, let me explain a bit. I started off my day by timewarping to get to a point where I could raise me PE from being a Kerbin impact, when Kerbal Alarm Clock informed me that my Gily lander had a maneuver that needed to be done. I jump to the Gilly craft and boom craft disappears and the altimeter spins out of control with 9's and 0's. I go back to the space center and......black screen, except for the time warp bar at the bottom. Now this is where it gets weird (yeah I thought it was pretty weird already too). I relog into the game and go into the tracking station and look for my Gilly lander, but it is no long in the list of flights nor is there debris of it anywhere around the sun. Reload the quicksave I had just before I jumped to the Gilly lander and all is fine...so far. I make the maneuver for the Gilly lander without issue, so I go back to the asteroid ship to get ready for the maneuver that will happen in a very short amount of time. I get to the maneuver fine enough and even complete it but realize it will not serve what I need so I revert once again, and this is where things go from ok to terribad. Now whenever I time warp the craft explodes, I turn off the RCS, SAS, and even the lights but it still explodes as soon as I start to time warp. I log out and it still explodes, I cuss at it and still it explodes. The command pod seeming disappears as soon as I hit the time warp buttom causing it to all explode, including the asteroid (I thought that was suppose to happen?). So needless to say it made for some interesting video today......lucky I managed not to swear, I think, too much. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Sorta.... I had a few instances after loading up my save, going to the tracking station and jumping to a ship/station in orbit.... And said ship/station violently disassembles itself--It doesn't explode, but all the component parts fly away from where the vessel was at high velocity... Jeb died in one of these incidents. Quick loading fixed things... And after a few days, the problem disappeared, and I don't know why it happened or why it got fixed....

Updated some mods - expected to be more work after two weeks vacation - and reestablished some KAC alarms that were lost in the process.

Made some finishing touches on my Explorer III, assembled the whole thing in VAB and added a rear docking pit (for balance reasons, really).

The question remains: How to launch this beast?

Should everything work out as planned/dreamed, I will have visited every body/anomaly (not counting the polar abnormalities) in the Joolian system.

A return to Duna will be necessary too, as I missed to visit the **** there.

Also I still need to get a plane working to visit all the anomalies on Kerbin.

With the looming .24 update I will most likely rush through these missions with no further parallel objectives.

Time to share some of the stuff that I have been up to lately.

At the moment I'm operating a space agency with a strong commitment to Full Reusability, which is a bit of a step up from my previous "no debris" save, what with the amount of effort that has to be put into design and flight. But anyway, using only cargo SSTOs I have, among other things put together a space station and a mission to Duna.

Today I assembled a new nuclear tug. this took three flights in total.

Firstly there was the central command unit, seen here in the cargo bay of a Kylon-2 before release:

NFZI9Rc.png

Next came the two nuclear engines, each of which i gets attached to one of those two inline docking ports by service droid, and then the droids are released and return to the spaceplane (a Thunderlane Mk-5):

0fOOXDJ.png

5OODVJL.png

Ik2Ot7s.png

And finally, all the tug needed was a big fuel tank:

jeyNAz3.png

eZs2BuW.png

The tug is now ready to carry cargo around the Kerbol system

xPj0yWV.png

But that's not all I have been up to. You'll remember I mentioned a Duna mission earlier, and though I didn't do all of these things today, I still feel I should share.

Here we see the interplanetary mission, "Tirek", perform its' Kerbin escape burn:

J9wiGN2.png

ma6e7p2.png

Performing a capture burn after a bit of areobraking:

1tQsXF1.png

The landing part of them mission has two components, the lander and the rover. The lander, as seen here, managed to land without any trouble:

TsoYbxe.png

Next up was the rover:

4UTeYS1.png

The rover was designed to get back into orbit, through the use of a self-righting mechanism that I am kinda proud of

eK2NXQ6.png

As you can see in this next picture, I overshot the landing by a bit, and so I ended up driving the 30km to the lander.

Kl72BS9.png

vns3wVM.png

Ai6Kl3r.png

But I finally made it, giving Bill and Bob something else to stand on top of.

bO3bijd.png

Edited by SofusRud