What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This is a quick recap of my experience as a participant in the Official Kerbin Cup for the forums with my awesome team "I Think We Broke It" starring...

*Xacktar!* - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfu_nd6RQxvlCN7AVnXqNLQ

*Andrew Hansen!* - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4m4VwljtxHFyX2FFGPkNZw

*M1sz!* - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxl3h9uyHmel-GF7KCsYGiQ

*Wooks!* - Yours truly

Youtubers for forum glory!

Yesterday, for the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing, I issued a challenge to my son: land your first career Mun mission on the anniversary of Apollo 11. He did that, and challenged me back: to land my first career Mun mission on the anniversary, and do it within 10 km of the Armstrong Memorial… touchdown was 400 m away.

pQW2mDn.png

It felt… right.

I'm gonna go with 'no'.

I love reading this thread. It's a great place for both inspiration and awe. Just because people don't post with 'I read dat.' doesn't mean we aren't here enjoying the stories and pictures.

My mistake then. It's just that most threads of this type seem to follow the aforementioned trend.

I always find this kind of thread to be rather pointless.

Everyone just skips over everyone else's post, and then have their post ignored in turn.

Anyway, this thread has been going for over a year, isn't it time someone made something new?

Every time I post something new I receive some rep points next day, so yes, people do see and appreciate this thread.

Have determined through repeated spectacular failures that my new Mun lander designs are too tall.

My new No-Quicksave policy made this a very hard lesson to learn. At least I kept Jeb and his crew in an orbiter and had the new landers fly to their doom with probe cores.

Jeb is now retuning to the station in Kerbin orbit for some R&R while the engineers make a flatter lander.

Why is this thread NOT stickied yet? I mean, seriously.

I continued testing of the modules of my minmus base. Have a look at my company, you can see more about it there. Its actually going surprisingly well.

Played around with the new KW rocketry pack (which is all the awesome). The first order of business was obviously to duct tape seven 5 metre cores to make one gigantic 15 meter core.

7xSaturn.jpg

Second order of business was to throw on a reasonable number of boosters.

7xSaturnSRB.jpg

Edited by maccollo

Delivered the Kethane for my Jool mission the way it is supposed to be after all ... parked the tanker at my would-be asteroid station, just to visit that big chunk of rock again.

The Explorer III will wait for 150 day until the next Jool transfer window.

Moho polar-orbital insertion successful! First time I managed to slow down enough to actually stay there. Creepy PE burn at <10km, there are some high mountains on Moho!

Undocked the mapping satellite and brought it into a 300x322km polar orbit, due to the speed Moho rotates a full map will be available in 58 ... no, 29 Kerbin days, of course!

Using the remaining monoprop to lower my AP at least a bit, orbital insertion was very close ... lander probe might fail after all as there is not much fuel left anywhere ...

Next: Probe mission to Eve.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/jBVA1/embed"></iframe>

All this is in a career save that started out with Remote Tech 2 - somehow the adventure was a bit lacking, especially with the probes not needing line of sight anywhere.

I was playing around with magic smoke infernal robotics. Created the biggest, heaviest lander I have ever made. Featured 20+ hinges, sliders etc. moving parts. Crew of 7 kerbals. Then I started playing with KW rocketry and decided to take the lander to Eeloo and back. :P

The complete rocket weighed nearly 5 000 000 kg with 360 000 units of liquid fuel, and it cost me 2.2M funds (yes it was career mode). This has got to be the dumbest, most inefficient design I have ever made - made worse by the lack of mechjeb or any mods to help plot optimal routes. Made it home though, with less than 20 out of 360 000 fuel remaining. :cool:

4E438BFCB6C6C617C4C9FE14F693C62ED48BC8A5

In retrospect I should have taken a shot with all 7 crew members out on EVA. A few extra random pics: http://imgur.com/a/GJKsw

After finnishing the science tree in my 0.24 career and accumulating 8 million Kredits, I am now going to work on my new Kerbin Space Station that will serve as an orbital hub for future operations.

The central element sitting on the launchpad, mounted into a special lifter system. :cool:

YxYbbFg.jpg

This space needle is featuring a command module, a laboratory, living room for passengers, energy systems, fuel tanks, a few docking ports and a set of maneuver engines for minor orbit adjustments of the station.

FqXEL7o.jpg

Ignition...

32Dvro5.jpg

And lift off...

3AyXvkD.jpg

The package accelerated into the sky. From the ground it almost looked like two crafts flying in a tight formation, due to the two seperated engine cores...

Uk1UBX7.jpg

During the gravity turn, the launch auxiliary engines are dropped off...

KCCebU2.jpg

The remaining Griffon-thrusters pull the tower into its orbit...

vHKL2wp.jpg

At 80 kilometers in an equatorial orbit, the payload is released...

1SNZnvC.jpg

Shortly afterwards, Bill starts up the stations systems and is now waiting for the arrival of the other station modules...

Vzhk0Mo.jpg

Sorry about the somewhat dark pics. I did not expect to make orbit on the first attempt. :D

Edited by TrooperCooper

More testing. Made an attempt at a rescue mission for Jeb on Mun - not enough fuel, smashed into the ground. Sent a second, several contracts later - it also tested the Mainsail in Mun orbit and the Mark 55 engines in flight. I'll test the Rockomax decoupler landed on Mun with that - about two Kerbin days until Jeb's on the day side.

I've been taking lots of contracts, mostly rescue missions and part testing. Got a cheap-ish (<18k) standard orbit rescuer now, and there's always throwing as many part tests as I can fit into a cheap rocket. Often, I'll try to fit a few onto the rescuer missions.

Did a couple of tests splashed down by using a probe rocket-rover and small gear bay wheels. Multiple decouplers and a Kerbodyne SRB in flight, all sorts of things like that.

Landed a part test rocket with parachutes onto the runway...

And so on.

Jeb came close to dying when coming back from the Mun.

HfHO5Wu.png

We were able to knock off a lot of time burning down towards Kerbin and coming in really hot. Burned the landing gear off and had to blow a lot of fuel just to make sure he didn't skip back out of the atmosphere since another orbit would have taken too much time.

Banished.....er sent one of my rescued Kerbals on an extended mission to the Mun

TAlk6lI.png

I did give him an important mission tho. To keep some old friends of all of us company.

ut4Zqxp.png

It is a day later than I intended, but thank you Neil, Buzz, Michael, and everyone else that helped those three get there and be a part of making one of all of our dreams a reality.

7kOdLMC.png

Banished.....er sent one of my rescued Kerbals on an extended mission to the Mun

http://i.imgur.com/TAlk6lI.png

I did give him an important mission tho. To keep some old friends of all of us company.

http://i.imgur.com/ut4Zqxp.png

It is a day later than I intended, but thank you Neil, Buzz, Michael, and everyone else that helped those three get there and be a part of making one of all of our dreams a reality.

http://i.imgur.com/7kOdLMC.png

To top off the end of this mission, Jeb went and rescued another stranded Kerbanaut, then messed up his attempt at landing on the launchpad.

LG8nQDG.png

Flying out some .23.5 missions. Have a return vessel that was out of fuel with around a 54 km Kerbin periapsis, so that's gonna be making quite a few aerobraking passes. A course correction for one of my small probes that are meant to gravity-assist their way all over the solar system. And some asteroid shoving around.

I'm thinking I might actually take a break from KSP once I've finished these projects. Sacrilege I know with the .24 hypetrain, but I have played a lot over the past few months. Plus it means I can postpone my new PC build

bI5lE08.jpg

Continued working on my Space Station. Habitation areas are completed now and now I can move forward to different types of modules like science (Just for looks it is sandbox) and solar panels.

What did you do in KSP today?

I did part testing. A bit more part testing. Then I did part testing. Followed by some part testing. Of course then was time to do part testing, but instead of that I did part testing. After that I went to part testing and did part testing there, doing part testing in process of part testing. Then it was nothing left to do beside part testing, so I did part testing along with some part testing for additional part testing, in hope of doing part testing in process of part testing. Nothing can compare to part testing, so I went to do part testing.

Launched an orbital lab in 0.24 career mode and sent it to Minmus. It cost 150,000 F but used a nuclear engine well ahead of KSC research schedule (I hadn't unlocked it yet) which was available as a part test prototype, which not only gave it the fuel economy it needs to future proof it but paid for the entire mission with some left over. Two rescued Kerbals crew the orbital lab, while a lander probe does the research work with instruments, getting more science at five flagged landing points where surface samples have already been taken from different Minmus biomes. Though the mission is already obsolete as gravioli detector has just been unlocked, so another mission is needed to provide gravioli data. The probe will land and then return to orbit to dock and prepare instruments for another landing and transfer data to the lab by Kerbal EVA.

The lab mission runs parallel to a manned lander mission in a Mk1 capsule which will flag and sample remaining biomes and its pilot will eventually take the data from the probe, collected in the lab, for return to Kerbin.

The lab sports two pairs of docking ports at the side to future proof it, allowing for additional equipment which can be added as matched side pods also with double ports for rigidity, eg landing thruster and landing strut pillars or drop tanks etc.

careerlab.jpg

Here's what my space program has been up to today:

screenshot68.png

Yes, that's a Mun lander, and yes, it's stranded. Thankfully the contracts don't care for returning the data, and it's got plenty of power to transmit.

Brief history of why it has a probe unit on top and why it's hilarious, summed up with the list of active contracts at launch:

* Return or transmit data from space around the Mun. (Complete!)

* Explore the Mun:

- Establish orbit around the Mun. (Complete!)

- Return or transmit science data from orbit around the Mun. (Complete!)

- Land on the Mun. (Complete!)

- Return or transmit data from the surface of the Mun. (Complete!)

* Plant a flag on the Mun. (Complete!)

* Rescue Mitnard Kerman from orbit around Kerbin:

- Get Mitnard Kerman aboard a vessel. (Complete!)

- Return home and recover Mitnard Kerman. (Uh...)