What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

And to build and fly my first space plane. I did this while performing a couple of contracts to "test part while splashed down", which is why these two planes have slightly different payloads. Now I'm debating whether to plug in a joystick next time I try this.

First%20runway.jpg

First%20flight.jpg

Edited by Mister Spock

A first! Specifically, first flyback to the runway with a spaceplane. After the glitchy disaster that was the previous attempt, I loaded up the RAPIER test plane. I ripped out the old payload, and replaced it with a support rig and the new payload. Added an empty Mk2 cockpit, some RCS thrusters and a docking port. Also, changed the RAPIERs for Turbojets, shuffling wings. One of the best things about RAPIERs is the ability to attach wings etc. - so changing to turbojets makes a structural change, too. For rockets, I put in eight 49-7S-cubic octagonal strut sets, four on the central tanks, and four on the outer ones. A couple of fuel lines needed to be added to ensure flow.

NADM78.png

JIsd7Z.png

I was also running a Turbojet test (though I do have it by research), and an orbital rescue mission. The test was above 19600m, under 380m/s (those being the most critical of numbers for this test). Had a steep angle of attack to get the time-to-apoapse above 30s before I began to tip back towards horizon.

t8toBt.png

UieZxl.png

Timewarped the probestack payload out and twitched its orbit to be cleanly 80km circular. The top probe is the Eve parachute-lander, under it the Eve orbital satellite, then the Gilly orbital satellite, and finally the Gilly return-lander/ion drive. Its all those expensive, high-end science instruments that I want back, though the ion drive itself and the RTG are also a motivating factor.

WfEhoF.png

vLTujl.png

Then, it was time to grab Adbro from his orbit, which I think was 116 over 112? Anyway, I used the entirety of the monopropellant with the rendezvous - it was only what's in the cockpit. If I was docking, I'd have focused on the rocket engines to match orbits, then only done the bare minimum with RCS, but the monopropellant wasn't really required here.

Ljvt0e.png

hnF1T8.png

Got Adbro in, and deorbited. This was a first try to determine the periapse I needed to land on the runway, but somehow, it unexpectedly turned into a success.

Mf4g0K.png

tlt57w.png

Banked back and forth to decelerate a little and line up with the runway itself. Did a little diving, too - I might have glided clear over it if I wasn't careful.

2JG86b.png

6pCXI0.png

eoDdkS.png

And with that, I can call this a certified success. A 100% reusable, payload-to-orbit, rescue mission spaceplane. I saw on a recent page the K-Prize challenge, I'll see if this qualifies.

Finally, I can say that planes are no longer a critical major weakpoint of mine.

Edited by Concentric

Today, I landed a rescue ship on the Mun to pick up Jeb. 2 km walk. Once he was home I.made a science station that I expected to only make it to orbit. Instead it has enough fuel.to reach anywhere in Kerbin soi. I think I may put it around the Mun as a stop off station.

I got bored with the career mode and returned to the FAR+DRE sandbox. I'm probably going to do a big expedition next, with a huge modular ship and 10+ kerbals as the crew. Before starting to plan the mission itself, I'll have to upgrade my fleet of support ships from 0.23 to 0.24. Today I started with the crew shuttle.

crew_shuttle_test_1.jpeg

crew_shuttle_test_2.jpeg

In the flight tests, the shuttle successfully reached a 600 km orbit and landed safely on Kerbin. There are still some issues with reentry and landing that make the shuttle annoying to fly, so I'll have to tweak it a bit.

After much stumbling around in my own ignorance trying to get the hang of Remote Tech, cursing my inability to find any good tutprials, I think finaly I got enough of a handle on it to put up a guide of my own. It's by no means complete anb is probably not the best way to do things, but it should save other RT noobs some grief. Link's in my sig.

I have finished my JOOL-5 Low Mass Challenge entry with a less than 10 tons ship (9.983 tons) with an Ion Lander and landed on every body except Eve, so this is almost a Grand Tour.

The TWR of the ship was 1.03 at Moho and 0.97 at Duna. Yes, it is possible to land with a lower-than-one TWR, at the highest peak! :D

here is the link to the mission

Edited by Ziv

I went on a trip: To Duna!

ksp2014073001.jpg

Kind of puny huh? Well that's a Jump Gate. With that I can get a space station that has both a gate and a Jump Engine attached, deorbit that gate and then I have a fast track to Duna. Damn I love that mod!

Finish building a simple SSTO that gave me a 2 day headache with FAR re-entry in 13 recording totalling 22.9gb and 8 hours 42 minutes and 30 seconds :sealed:

Finish a speedbuild of a simple ssto for my crappy log.

Jeb finished his Minmus mission and got me enough science to unlock everything what was left of the tech-tree (again).

C8CahzX.jpg

So now I am back to goofing arround in space for fun and laughs. As a start, I went up to the IKSS, just to say hello...

xoHxpF4.jpg

Well, hello there... :cool:

qOnU5fq.jpg

After much stumbling around in my own ignorance trying to get the hang of Remote Tech, cursing my inability to find any good tutprials, I think finaly I got enough of a handle on it to put up a guide of my own. It's by no means complete anb is probably not the best way to do things, but it should save other RT noobs some grief. Link's in my sig.

Awesome! Just today I was taking a brief look at the RT mod and figured... well... it would be nice if there was a better guide for this. And now you post this. Perfect timing! I'll make sure to read it tomorrow. :D

HAH! That hard part is over!

I had to rebuild my Apollo 11 Lunar Module copycat from scratch and the new one looks much better. Here's a picture of it decked out with KSP science equipment.

bhLkj9m.jpg

I have the CM/SM docked to the top of it while I built the lander. I just need to build the rest of the Saturn V rocket and possibly a "shield" for my lander since KSP won't accommodate it automatically with walls for a streamline rocket design.

Launched the Jebediah 3 into a stable orbit around Kerbin, a simple science and safety vessel designed to keep the intrepid trio safely out of harm's way and to stop them sneaking back into the pilot seat of any of my potentially highly volatile creations:

2014-07-21_00006.jpg

2014-07-21_00004.jpg

Also launched and assembled my first 0.24 prototype orbital science station, a simple design to fulfill one of the "Fine Print" station contracts. Should have been only a 2 launch / assembly consisting of the main hub and one small habitat section but it had a design flaw / bug (don't think Fine Print recognised RemoteTech antenna at time of launch) so I had to make a 3rd launch with a comms tower package which still seemed to fit quite well.

2014-07-30_00006.jpg

2014-07-30_00007.jpg

Not too much:

Got the Explorer III into orbit around Pol, found Kethane on its pole, landed the Mining Lander and started filling up - eyeing the dV gauge as the boat gets heavier. The two gigantic solar panels cannot supply two drills though - that stock modification file makes things harder out here than DRE does at Kerbin!

Still have to weld some solar panels to the manned lander - as I luckily noticed well before I needed them, they are still on another module that I added later and used as a cheap delivery system for the forgotten panels.

Also noticed that I seemingly did not bring additional crew? :confused: So its just The Trio.

Sent back lots of processed data and packed an extra round of everything for return.

I still haven't finished my first climb up the tech tree, so today I practiced my landing skills at Minmus, visiting three different spots and taking science from them. Then I lifted off to dock my lander, now low on fuel, with an orbiting refueling station. But before I could do that, Kerbal Alarm Clock warned me that my Duna launch window is just a few hours away. (I set it 5 hours in advance to give myself time to build stuff and think. Maybe that wasn't enough time.) My first Duna launch was an abject failure, as I tried to lift a nuclear-powered tanker into orbit, but my lifter ran out of gas, forcing me to try to fire the nuclear engine at about 60,000 meters altitude. It quickly failed. Back to the drawing board.

Lets see, today I was quite busy.

Worked on 3 different SSTO space planes, argued a point in PMs and in IRC over the impossed signal delay I am dealing with now because of someone else. So now I have to have everything I write proof read by someone else. Half tempted to just post in every thread that comes up for the next 14 days just to see how many posts they actually let through.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or Jebadiah returning as the Messiah of the kerbal race, (loaded a prototype space craft to practice delicate landings and guess who inhabited the cockpit? that's right... Jeb!! me thinks that the naming is too coincidental), I managed to land on the Mun with the aforementioned Jeb. Bob hadn't looked particularly too pleased about that the fact Jeb returned from death to lead the KSP Munster to Mun Glory, especially when the Munster had his name written in bold letters on the commander's seat. Jeb is now in Mun orbit, frantically trying to calm Bob down whilst debating if he should return to the Kerbal and face the inevitable blasting from Bob.

Jeb looking back at Kerbol

AnbP4w.jpg

Yesterday was an awesome day, both in KSP and in real life.

First, one line on the good news from real life: My research paper got accepted at IOP Nanotechnology without the need for a revision. :D

But back to topic: Yesterday Jebediah returned from the coast of Eve to his rocket, bringing back a huge amount of science data. Then, after doing two simulations, it was decided that launching the damaged first stage was not doable without dropping four additional tanks and engines, in order to get symmetric thrust. Well, the stage could still match its specifications, but only because it was designed to launch at sea level and had a head start of more than 1.9 km of height. All other stages were fully intact and the rest of the launch went exactly as planned, as did the rendezvous with the mothership in orbit.

After bringing the mothership to a higher orbit around Eve using fuel that was left in the Eve lander and the transfer stage from Kerbin, the Gilly lander was decoupled and landed successfully. It is now on its way to rendezvous with the mothership that will bring the Kerbonauts, and more important, the science, back to Kerbin.

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="http://imgur.com/a/USGw1/embed?background=f2f2f2&text=1a1a1a&link=4e76c9" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

Edit: I just realized I mislabeled the images. There (also) is no picture of stage 3, so starting from what is labeled stage 3, all stage numbers have to be incremented by one.

@Tandy45: The original three can respawn (or, how it is often called in the forum: un-die). However, they seem to be the only Kerbals with this ability.

Edited by soulsource

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or Jebadiah returning as the Messiah of the kerbal race, (loaded a prototype space craft to practice delicate landings and guess who inhabited the cockpit? that's right... Jeb!! me thinks that the naming is too coincidental), I managed to land on the Mun with the aforementioned Jeb. Bob hadn't looked particularly too pleased about that the fact Jeb returned from death to lead the KSP Munster to Mun Glory, especially when the Munster had his name written in bold letters on the commander's seat. Jeb is now in Mun orbit, frantically trying to calm Bob down whilst debating if he should return to the Kerbal and face the inevitable blasting from Bob.

Jeb looking back at Kerbol

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/746/AnbP4w.jpg

As of right now, the main three kerbals will 'heal' after a few in game weeks/months. Not sure about the ones that get rescued/hired. At least in regards to Vanilla KSP.