What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I tested my new Duna Lander

Duna%20lander%20%281%29.png

It's launched on top of my Saturn V.

Duna%20lander%20%282%29.png

Has a funky looking heatshield

Duna%20lander%20%283%29.png

Uses my Apollo Command Module as a back to orbit vehicle.

.. but I don't like how it looks.. and I don't think the return vehicle has enough fuel to make it back to Duna Orbit :(

I brought a big Kerbodyne S3-14400 tank to my new assembly in orbit around Kerbin, the future EVE - Einstein Station. The Leviathan version that delivered the tank though was a prototype and not too successful. After delivering I undocked the Leviathan transport plane and completely forgot that it was completely dry. Now the transporters themselves have no docking ports since they just deliver stuff that has ports but they themselves don't need it. So I had no way to refuel for de-orbit.

The solution was a new variant of a smaller transporter. Added in a tank and a claw as payload and a LV-N engine as range extender so that this tanker can operate in whole Kerbin system to rescue 'dry' vessels.

Here the new 'SPT Sparrow Tanker' on it's way to rescue 'SPT Leviathan'

forgot_refuel_01.jpg

And docked to refuel.

forgot_refuel_02.jpg

Saving these huge transporters is certainly worth it.

forgot_refuel_03.jpg

Yet the Sparrow's mission wasn't done. After refueling Leviathan it went to the EVE station and delivered the remaining extra fuel to the station filling it in one of the big tanks.

forgot_refuel_04.jpg

Still not done, the journey continued to rescue a Kerbal.

forgot_refuel_05.jpg

And finally landed back home at KSC with the Kerbal.

forgot_refuel_06.jpg

Edited by DocMoriarty

Design exploration for my Laythe rescue mission. With Near Future, getting 50 km/s or more with a 65 ton payload isn't unreasonable, but then it hit me that with a low TWR the burns could literally take a day. Getting 50 km/s and a respectable TWR is a lot harder and may well require an unreasonably big rocket.

Set up my Laythe lander for Kerbin return. By burning when both Laythe and my craft are moving at retrograde, I was able to get it to return for about 1.5k/s delta-v, when the lander (or what was left of it after launch) had 6k/s delta-v remaining. I think a redesign of the lander might be in order. Especially given that the final push to Laythe orbit required some seat of the pants flying to get from sub-orbital to a stable orbit (setting up a node wasted precious time) with the nuclear engine after the boosters had all been expended.

Threw a rover at Minmus to acquire some science and explore around; and rescued a lost, lonely and afraid B-class asteroid who was crying next to Kerbin.

For the Rover, I HAD to steal borrow Frank_G's rover design, as it is superb and awesome! All rights on that rover design goes to Frank_G.

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="//imgur.com/a/466F5/embed" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

Gal, the baby asteroid.

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="//imgur.com/a/gARAJ/embed" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

For this one, I had to load a few times at the end. The hook wasn't holding the asteroid weight, and breaking everytime I deployed the chutes. I considered the mission a failure, and decided to reload one last time, just to recreate the scene, in order to take a nice picture of the asteroid falling on the water. But for my surprise, the hook didn't break this time! Oh you, KSP.

Edited by Kowgan

No pictures . . but today, I took an entire class of year 10 students and had them learn how to put a rocket into orbit. A couple of them managed it.

Using the Demo, alas - so far we've not been able to organise anything like a site licence. But even so, it was a brilliant lesson.

I have to say that some kids were more interested in overbuilding massive rockets and blowing Kerbonauts to kingdom come . . . :)

still some tweaking needed. got 9000 deltaV in the interplanetary stage and 1000 deltaV in the lander. the small remote rover is redockable...

i would like to have 12000 deltaV with the rover attached and 4000 deltaV in the lander but i think the last one is just a dream... just a dream (:D :D :D)

but for smaller bodies it should work (moho, dres and eeloo). but i need more deltaV :D

the lifter can push everything into a 75km orbit with ~180 deltaV left. and he has some room left for more power...

cost at the moment: ~450'0000

Main Goal: a single launch craft for every object in the system. EVERY :D. and for multiple landing on smaller objects... (i used a small mod i made myself. i got a remote mobile lab on the lander which cleans the experimets for reuse)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10635698_10204975251408010_8225438757456783571_n.jpg?oh=551af52ddb8dcdd9fd722137211a8375&oe=547D7185&__gda__=1415285297_72fe512764a36420fb3ba4021aa5556e

tweaked this monster... but have some issues.

got 10000m/s... but a TWR of 0.22 with 6 atomic engines... it's slow as hell and needs to much burntime...

do anyone have an advice? can you help me via PN?

i modified the lifter to 5000m/s. there is a bit of room.

Has been working a lot on spaceplane pluss.

This is my current favorite

DUerB3G.png

Room for 6 kerbals so it can send up the crew to an large interplanetary mothership in one launch.

double length cargo bay, TWR 1.3 at launch, found that running the rapiers in closed cycle together with the jet engines is a nice way to lift Ap from 50-60 up to 80.

Has to make an smaller version of it to replace my current 2 man plane is too slow.

After 9 flights, I had to terminate my Minerva Munar Excursion Program as its success rating was too low - not to mention 7 deaths that went along with it. Research and funding will now be redirected to the planned Juno Program (Minmus) and the upcoming Ares Mission (Duna).

I attempted to send up Replete KA, a 7000 capacity karbonite miner to test side by side with an 8000 capacity kethane miner already on the Munar surface. Karbonite is definitely easier to build for, but if my Kethane miner flew like a brick, my Karbonite miner handles like a brick in molasses.

I'm going to expand my comms-sat network with some satelites on the polar orbit and send some satelites to the Mun. I'm also going to send some mapping satelites for complete maps of the Mun and Minimus. Maybe I will also send first manned Munar mission on my career?

I flew very little today as most of my time ingame was spent in VAB refining my design for new station in Kerbin orbit. I hav also spent some time in hangar working on design for my science plane designed to carry experiments stored in cargo bay. Smaller version can visit 4 biomes in one flight, larger version is designed to visit 8 biomes. Plane, especially larger one, flies pretty well but taking off is really hard which might be due to small control surfaces. I had two partially successful flights, one crashed into runway on landing while other one landed into the sea with cockpit and pilot intact.

Used this funny looking thing...

UOnK7yy.png

To put this thing on the Mun. Managed to hit two biomes before having to return to Kerbin due to fuel concerns. I had designed it to hop into three biomes, but my piloting skills leave much to be desired.

OtlmuCk.png

Today I launched the second piece to my space station, it had spare parts and an agriculture bouncy castle.

viio02.png

It was a bit of a chore to figure out how to dock this since I had forgotten to test more than just the launch of it, but the tug has about 50% lf/oz and tons of monoprop yet. The tug will serve two functions; first it will tow the supplies into position and second it will aid with rescue mission. The second part needs to finalized yet as I need a hitchhiker can to make it work, those that are rescued will stay aboard until there is enough to rotate them back to kerbin (I am just send up an "escape pod" for that purpose).

wmlf5y.png

My next payload I bring up will have the hab ring and another storage container to store compost and other things for a later date. I am sure I am missing something on here though, other than the modules I have not sent up yet of course.

Sent Jeb to his death, reverted and decided to send him to the Munar Highlands instead. Moar parts testing, another Kerbal rescue, and several science transmissions/flag plantings for money. I'm up to 1.1M kerbux at this point and I'm about 200 science points shy of unlocking the Gravioli Detector; then it'll be on to Minmus.

It was a really busy day at KSC today.

First of I had to get Jeb and Bill home. Jeb needed a transfer burn from Dres back to Kerbin and I had to set up an aerobraking for Bill after his rather failed landing attempt at Moho (not engough dV to circularize...). At least he got all the other science.

After this I had to fight against two possible Kraken encounters. First a black screen ate my Eve/Gilly lander (and the save game) after that my Ike lander disassembled during flight with superluminous velocity. After some tries I could prevent the first one from occuring (no idea, why it was there and even less ideas, why it somehow wasn't there any more...). For the second one a small save game edit rescued Camwise and he started again with a new craft.

GOzOs8gl.png?1

(Camwise broke the speed limit. But at 6c I don't think the police will catch up with him :P)

After this not so pleasent episode the space program could continue as planned. First Bob entered the Eve system with his ship. After a very hot aerobrake he could set up an Apoapsis at about the Periapsis of Gilly, his final destination. After raising his Pe a bit, he could start his two unmanned Eve landers. One to take readings of the upper atmosphere and landed and one to take the readings of the lower atmosphere and splashed down. Both worked fantastic and could send all there data back to Kerbin. Only the temperature scan splashed down did not work, because the device is under water and not selectable and SAS is not engough to rotate the vessel.

With his first mission accomplished Bob could concentrate on his Gilly landing. After some waiting orbits he got a free intercept with Gilly. Circularizing and science from high orbit (20 km, high orbit :wink:) were no problem for the Kraken hardend veteran. Than came the science from low orbit. After the science Bob wanted to stay in this altitude till he is on the sun side and land there. Unfortunatly he did not know that the highest elevation of Gilly reaches into the high orbit altitude. Therefore his vessel smashed right into that mountain. But with a orbital velocity of about 20 m/s his craft survived more or less intact. He only lost his almost empty transfer fuel tank and 2 of his 4 landing legs. Failure is not an option, therefore he had to try to land is craft without landing gear. It worked. After skidding half over the surface due to the high rotation speed of Gilly Bob really manged to land on his two LV-Ns upright.

tg7ldGcl.png

(Landing on 2 LV-Ns. Who needs landing gear?)

Some light minutes away Camwise entered the Duna system. After an aerobraking at about ground level he achieved an almost free intercept with Ike (only 16 m/s dV needed :)). During the final approach Camwise could enjoy a really nice view:

XtlgmPMl.jpg

(A nice view during final approach to Ike)

Now I have to get both back and start to plan the next missions: Moho again and Eeloo. And the construction of the fleet for Jool-5 is also under way.

I built a transfer stage to get a boat to Laythe. Quickly.

14890328387_72847ec142_o.png

1500 tons of ship for a 65 ton payload, delivering in excess of 40 - yes, forty - km/s of delta-V with a TWR around 0.5.

Or it would deliver that if the fuel flow wasn't going wrong for some reason. *sigh*

Added an extra stage to my already big Saturn V. 12.000KN thrust for just under 1,200 ton rocket :D

saturn%20%281%29.png

And end up with half my rocket left in orbit..

saturn%20%282%29.png

..and with some modifications I am sure I could land on Ike:D