What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

YES! YES!! YEEESSSSS!!!!!!

*runs down the forum halls slapping high-fives to everyone*

GRB-000 is officially MINE!

I will high five you...with an asteroid! This was my first asteroid ever too...so bill kerman went out to the asteroid to confirm it!

0qO1Pmo.png

Skyhook! You and I capturing a small asteroid on the same day on the same page .... from the SAME STATE!!!

Yeah. And they say Ohio is the leader in Astronaut-bringer-uppers! :D

ThinkOutside: ... thank you for my new wallpaper! :) [if it doesn't stetch funny].

[[HAA HA! It fits perfectly with all my desktop folders!]]

Edited by Mahnarch

In anticipation of Spaceplane Plus being implemented into stock in 0.25, I've been toying around with the parts a bit. I've discovered that the SPP Mk2 system and Ferram Aerospace Research get along very well indeed.

spp_ssto3.jpg

42 Kerbals to orbit on less fuel than an orange tank. (The rear tank launches empty, it's just there so I can attach 2 engines to the back.) And around 40% of that fuel is left, meaning all sorts of orbital shenanigans can be done. Not too shabby, I'd say!

In anticipation of Spaceplane Plus being implemented into stock in 0.25, I've been toying around with the parts a bit. I've discovered that the SPP Mk2 system and Ferram Aerospace Research get along very well indeed.

42 Kerbals to orbit on less fuel than an orange tank. (The rear tank launches empty, it's just there so I can attach 2 engines to the back.) And around 40% of that fuel is left, meaning all sorts of orbital shenanigans can be done. Not too shabby, I'd say!

Unnecessarily large with no defined purpose? I love it!

What did I do today?

Well, more spaceplane shenanigans, rover designs (that were only mildly successful, top speed of 4.3m/s over flat land :/ ) and an attempt at a shuttle. Let's just say that according to the official report there were "complications involving unexpected forces, such as gravity". After that, I decided to try get some proper Munar research done as I never seem to get enough fuel to get back, or get into orbit for a drone rescue. Luckily, this time I brought a bunch of monopropellant and through the powers of persistence I managed to get into a high Munar orbit. I suspect I ran out of fuel because I started on the opposite side I should've and had to form a counter-clockwise orbit path with 4 different steering maneuvers to intersect the Mun. Rescue mission being planned for tomorrow.

And now, the obligatory pic dump.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/VuQ7i/embed"></iframe>

Upgraded the old runway-duna surface-runway SSTO spaceplane "KSS Intrepid" into the "KSS Dauntless". While the Intrepid was successful in it's mission to get to Duna and back, on Duna it had to use parachutes and land on its nozzles before tipping over into a "proper" spaceplane position. This felt really wrong for a plane, so with the updates to engine nacelles and RAPIERs (both of which I used in the Intrepid's design) I went back and re-designed it.

Tests (read: hyperedit) show that the Dauntless is more efficient (it gets into orbit with about 300 additional fuel) and can do a regular Duna landing as long as the terrain is low enough (below 4000 or so meters, atmo is too thin for decent lift othwerise) and not too irregular. In order to improve landing safety on Duna, I actually had to add something I never thought I'd have to do in KSP.

I flew the Dauntless and her crew of three up in orbit, but it was too late at night yesterday to do the full mission. Will probably finish it today and post up the mission report tonight (if I remember to do so :blush: ). Then I can also show the weird feature I had to implement.

Edited by Cirocco

Still working on a small parts pack. Trying out some nose-cone designs, and a pair of matching "flat" size adapters.

Also built an interstage adapter that functions a size adapter from 3.75m to 2.5m / decoupler / monopropellant capacity.

-snip-

That's nice! Do you plan on releasing it as a mod?

Okay :) Have you already got a name for the mod so I can find it?

(sorry for off-topic talk, btw)

Nothing's set in stone, but for the moment I'm going with "Modular Rocket Systems" since it sounds OK for both the name of a parts pack, and an in-game manufacturer (which I added as an agency for contracts, with a flag).

The concept for it is to fill in some gaps in the stock selection of parts, with a somewhat NASA-like appearance, but try to adhere to the KSP way of doing things too. My goal is for the parts to be lightweight on the CPU/GPU in general, afford some cosmetic flexibility over the stock options, while preserving the existing game balance in terms of "mass cost". The interstage adapter is the first one where I have the additional goal of helping to reduce part count. :)

It's been interesting, teaching myself blender and doing this over the course of a week or so, so far. :)

Edited by NecroBones

I really have to come up with a better system than guess and hope for the best :D

Now there's a problem I can relate to! lol - I spent quite a bit of time designing my first interplanetary return mission. Did the transfer burn today and.. well.. it didn't return. Tug ran out of fuel just when it entered Duna orbit. I thought this thing would get me to far away places and back, but it only barely managed to get to Duna. O.O

Completed my station in low Kerbin orbit.

420 parts, 66 tons, 11 crew capacity (current crew of 5), storage for 64 tons of fuel (19.5 tons currently on board), in circular orbit at 100km. Station commander Bob Kerman.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I put the whole thing up there in sections, five tons at a time (the orange tanks went up empty and were filled later).

The station has way more batteries and solar panels than it strictly needs, but I figure a big station like that needs heat and light, and ventilation, and power to heat the snacks, and it looks right with a big solar array.

The science module is mostly for show of course, since I have all the science from low Kerbin orbit already. But I figure it can clean the experiments of docked ships, so it might come in handy.

I used the station for the first time yesterday to refuel a tug taking a module for a station on its way to Minmus.

First 0.24 career flights out to Minmus over the weekend for science and moola; my space program is now nuclear capable. Found a Class E in Kerbin's SOI with a 2 million meter periapsis that I'm thinking about taking a swing at; went ahead and unlocked Actuators even though it's not on my old tech preferences list (obviously). I've never done a for-reelz asteroid intercept (I've done pretty well in the tutorials, though), so I'm not sure whether or not an E is the best kind of rock to cut my teeth on. Got a lot of questions and about six days to periap. Then I get to consider the C on a collision course in about forty days...

My current tech path is taking me out towards large probe cores and PB-NUKs before swinging back to pick up spaceplane and rover parts. Haven't got the very heavy engines yet but they're on the current path; I saw an online video where someone pulled off a capture of an E with NERVAs, so I'm confident they aren't necessary strictly speaking. I also hear that Ion Engines are about four times powerful than they used to be and use a hell of a lot less power. Obviously I need to re-think my tech preferences (they are two versions old now unless I'm mistaken).

Today i tested the Cimeria Class Ultra Heavy Launcher (yes, i use names from Robert E. Howards Conan novels... I already got Stygia, Keshan and Hyborian Class Launchers).

It delivers 165 tons straight into Munar Orbit in 3 stages (Booster stage, main stage, transfer stage). I used procedural fairings as booster nose cones and to protect the payload and the tweakscale mod to scale up the orange tanks (just because i like to have orange tanks on my launcher, the Kerbodyne tanks would have done good as well)...

VRdtsvX.png

Today I have decided to conform with convention and......install KER. Not because I need it to do missions though, but for building purposes only. I will still fly my crafts without having readouts since I have Kdata for radar alt and sea level alt, although the burn time calculator might be nice to have for when I reboot the game (not sure if I can have it show only one feature while flying or not). Mostly I am doing this as I want to attempt an Eve landing/return and flying every craft to Eve is not going to happen, yeah I could hyper edit them there but that is not for me. Aslo this lander will be a legit thing as it will not have chairs on it and I will do it on my "hardcore" save, I might see about putting this with my current series as well.

Right now I only have the upper stage of the lander started to test a ladder idea I had, with success and it is still balance for weight as well. So no pictures....yet.

With the replacement Laythe boat on its way, I'm testing a copy on Kerbin to determine safe and unsafe operations. For something not designed for it it does pretty well on land actually, and if I'm paying attention there's no danger of rolling it, it starts to tip but isn't hard to straighten up or even drive it on two (well, three) wheels. Now for the water.

Today I throwed together bunch of parts from different mods and got some amazing results.

Now the only problem is:

How the heck I will fly this? I mean, that engines trimming is the realy hardest part. One wrong move - and you are upside down.