What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I decided to work on my not-exactly-new spaceplane design a little today, even though it will be broken when .25 hits. Its codenamed the V2m-b (as in Valkyrie generation 2 mini, version B). It's basically a slightly smaller and lighter, much more stable, and questionably useful version of my original Valkyrie design. The original got a lot of use tossing various satellites into LKO before being removed from active service due to general atmospheric instability, AKA leading cause of death of my Kerbals for a couple weeks... It still got some use from Kerbals who wanted to cruise up to LKO and perform a dangerous but fun reentry on a small disposable lander that fit into the cargo bay which is in my avatar. But that's neither here nor there, here is the design I've been testing on its first cruise to (hopefully) orbit. It's equipped with two KAS winches and I plan to use it to return all those contract probes I keep sending to orbit with no way to get back safely. It was fun watching them crash and burn at first, but the cost of that is starting to add up as I get better equipment and it'd be silly to spend even more money to build a conventional rocket to bring them back.

KSP2014-10-0621-09-33-35.jpg~original

Edit: Well it made it, slowly but surely. It's a little slower than the original Valkyrie, but despite that it was a smoother ascent and it seems to have a good bit more DV to play around with once in a stable orbit. I don't remember an exact figure for the original but this one has ~3000DV at 150x150km, which makes it viable for retrieving objects from Mun or Minmus orbit. Now it's time to try bringing down the first satellite.

Unrelated, but I'm thinking of adding DRE. I was amused by it when I tried playing a BTSM career the other day.

I did forget one thing... This particular probe DOES have a way to deorbit safely. Oh well, I still need to test this plane. So far so good.

KSP2014-10-0622-14-20-21.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

I got tired of designing landers... I made universal lander (everywhere else but eve) and Eve lander. So basically two landers for everywhere. Ofcourse minmus and below I use much lighter models. (One engine landers are so easy build. :))

DZhf2qi.png

v8om5cC.png

My space station is Near completion. Only missing the last module (and maybe an antenna piece).

Oh and I finally cured my ship that was attracting the Kraken like crazy. In the "IonHybElec_Pack", the 2500 engine have radial attachment nodes to put stuff on... DON'T-USE-THEM !!! ( Fixed it for me. )

Also reproduced the Skylab, and experimented with an Ion rover.

Images coming when station finished, which should be this Sunday or thereabouts.

Didn't have a lot of time to play today. Tried to land the Lab Rat 7-2, this time with the ground beacons on. I found that the plane doesn't fly very well when it's low on gas - it actually drains from the rear forward, so the CoM moves forward as it flies - opposite of the way most of my designs go. Lawn dart behavior resulted; despite in-flight TAC fuel re-balancing and being able to see the ground beacons this time, I hit the deck with a vertical velocity of -15 m/s and the gear crumpled with all the expected explody goodness.

Designed the Lab Rat 7-3 for use in my career game. Symmetry bug hit in numbers usually reserved for invading army ants. Had engine parts in the ground, doubled up, you name it - the damn plane exhibited it. I was, however, able to get it all worked out and the design took off on the first try (after I figured out I had intakes clipping into one another causing spontaneous explosions on physics engine release prior to takeoff). She didn't fly very well; I later determined she was too heavy, so I used TAC to dump off about half the oxidizer she was carrying and she finally started gaining some altitude. Really didn't have time to perform an orbital hop with it last night - I was more curious to see if she'd even make it off the runway - so I'll be doing the orbital run tonight. I'm not optimistic about the design as is (I'm thinking it's probably still too heavy). Keeps its CoM balanced as it goes though, so there is that.

I have tried to design crew transfer vehicle that can carry 6 Kerbals. It is launched on top of a rocket and lands as a glider. I am using one of my proven launchers (with few fins added) for aerodynamic testing launches. When it is finished it will be launched on top of a new launcher that will use KW 5m fairings (which I still have to research). It has 2 small engines at the back for deorbit burns. I have MJ module added on top so that I can test it without risking Kerbals lives.

ROqbSf0.png

I decided I was hardcore so I undocked 2 sections of my craft removing the debris section (from a procedural fairing base) from the middle then docked them again.

All during the ascent phase of my launch whilst still suborbital (just after the main burn but before the Ap circularisation)

This saved me one piece of debris.

Also I wondered if this thread is the `most replied to thread ever`

I tried to land on the mun, but ended up on the dark side. My lander tipped over, and the rocket fell off, so there's no way for my kerbals to come back.

I could try a rescue mission, but I'm still just messing around in sandbox, trying to know the basics.

I've already landed two rovers, one on mun and one on minmus, so I think I'll be able to get a kerbal to Mun tonight.

So, I was up late last night testing some prototype vehicles that MIGHT be re-created/ported to 0.25...

The first was the MU Aegis-Class Lifter, an almost-SSTO 50-ton lifting rocket.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Next up was the Magpie, a small SP+-based SSTO capable of comfortably carrying 6 kerbals into LKO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sadly, I might have to re-build most of my ships now that 0.25's out... :(

Sadly, I might have to re-build most of my ships now that 0.25's out... :(

And now I only just realised .25 is actually out. *Gets back under rock.*

Anyway, what I will be doing is trying to work out this tricky gravity assist still.

Landed on duna but ran out of fuel so made a base.

I made a stock Soyuz rocket which I will edit to be more aesthetically pleasing (no more white stripes) it has no part clipping either.

I made a plane for the 1/4 update that will fit inside an mk2 cargo bay also no part clipping involvement :cool:

Started KSP 025 Career in hard mode. The basic orbiter for the orbit contract.

FhIv6fn.jpg

And in orbit.

4Dz3HUv.jpg

One more SRB and a additional fuel can under the third stage and the design will do Mun orbit. Can probably do a flyby return 8 as is.

Returned my two interplanetary missions to Kerbin today. I had near-simultaneous expeditions to Duna and Eve. Learned a few lessons for future missions, mostly regarding the necessity of nailing those optimal phase angles. The returns both turned into minor Charlie Foxtrots because of sloppy flight planning but were ultimately successful.

The Eve mission was just an orbit-and-observe while the Duna trip was landing #2. I wanted to do an Ike flyby as well but fuel consumption wouldn't allow it, because I still suck at this, heh. Only had to reload a save on the Eve aerocapture once after the first attempt got a little *too* captured and was about to turn into the first permanent settlement.

The boys are taking a little break after having been in space for so long, and a probe to Dres just left LKO.