What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Tried out Mechjeb, and flew a quick MJ-only mission. Dead simple ship, the Mechjeb Pod on top of a long SRB and needed ancilliaries.

It doesn't seem to understand FAR very well, it wobbled around like crazy in the ascent. Nonetheless, it achieved orbit. I then set up a Minmus flyby, but lacked the delta-V for a landing. I know there's a patch to improve behaviour in FAR.

The communotron burned up on re-entry, thus demonstrating that Mechjeb doesn't respect AntennaRange.

Once I established I was coming down I turned on landing guidance, and established that Neither does MechJeb understand DRE - it opened the chutes way too early and they cut.

Got a cool shot of a Mun-Minmus conjunction:

15798175976_b55cd46ca4_o.png

MJ then attempted a propulsive landing, but ran out of fuel. Yet despite hitting the ground at 120 m/s the pod survived :-O

Overall, an instructive mission.

Today I took my aptly-named Plane Number One, stuck a Clamp-O-Tron on it, and sent Bill into orbit. Bob followed in an old Mun lander to attempt docking with a plane for the first time.

screenshot16-3.png

Success!

screenshot17-1.pngscreenshot18-2.png

Bill and Bob switched places for the trip home - here's Bill taking it all in before entering the capsule.

screenshot19-2.png

Bill's de-orbit burn dropped him safely in the middle of nowhere, but Bob brought the plane down beautifully for a landing at KSC.

screenshot20.png

screenshot21-1.png

After launching the 12th fuel tanker to my 6.4x Tylo ship, I decided to do something else for a while. This time I went small, and launched my debris cleaner to orbit.

deorbitrator.jpeg

debris_1.jpeg

Two nosecones and two upper stages later, I ran out of easily accessible debris. I let the ship burn, even though it had plenty of delta-v remaining.

debris_2.jpeg

Atmospheric reentries in FAR & DRE are quite unpredictable, if you free the pivot in the Klaw. This time there was surprisingly little wobble, but the ship broke in two, when the main fuel tank of the upper stage was the first major component to explode.

Finally got around to launching a station worth its salt today. Here's the beginning of Olympus (any vets remember Scott's reusable space program?).

zjstt4A.png

Playing in 6.4x Kerbin, you've got way more restrictions than in a normal setup. Since I've got FAR, I couldn't simply launch the station with everything attached to it, so launching the 4 arms in a separate rocket was the best way to go. I decided to use a tug with reaction wheels and lots of RCS to be able to carry all 4 arms at once. Mainly because rendezvous is too slow for my liking. :P

2mYDKKG.png

1JlZ5kV.png

Then I launched the upper docking/power module on another rocket (not pictured), which also used a similar tug.

After that, came the life support tanks. Since I'm playing with TAC Life Support, I needed lots of Oxygen and CO2 storage, so this would go on a special tank, and another one would contain the usual stuff (food, water, waste, and used water).

Here's the life support (the second one) on its way to orbit. I just love 6.4x Kerbin, man.

2hMyAd6.png

As you can see, I used long pylons full of HTP (It's the fuel for my RCS) to be able to take the RCS pods up to the spacecraft's CoM. I've found this method to work really well for this stuff.

Here's what the entire station looks now:

cPjQoZP.png

I'll probably send up a fuel tank, since I plan to use it as an outpost for future Mun exploration, but it's ready to receive its first manned expedition.

If you're feeling burned out of normal KSP, I definitely recommend playing this. Every archievement feels like something new and it's incredibly rewarding. :D

To put an exclamation on astropapi1's post, in no particular order, my first manned Mün mission in 6.4x. Since I probably won't get around to a real mission report lol. The one-Kerbal lander & transfer stage alone needed a 2600-ton(!) launcher.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you're feeling burned out of normal KSP, I definitely recommend playing this. Every archievement feels like something new and it's incredibly rewarding. :D

Are you telling me you were burned out on KSP? BLASPHEMY!

I know what you mean with slow docking. When I start a new game I need to have at least an ISS, a Spacelab and a MIR in orbit.. BECAUSE! Especially the ISS can be tedious, so for the ISS I created a three launch space station (with an extra launch for the cupola and some other small bits) and the MIR I just put in orbit in one go :D

To put an exclamation on astropapi1's post, in no particular order, my first manned Mün mission in 6.4x. Since I probably won't get around to a real mission report lol. The one-Kerbal lander & transfer stage alone needed a 2600-ton(!) launcher.

Ok to be fair: I've never played with 6.4x.. BUT you seem to be going awfully fast through your gravity turn. You might be able to save quite a bit of dV by turning a bit higher up in the atmosphere. @astropapi1? Cool looking rocket btw!

Today I managed to kill off 122 Kerbals from my Training-SpaceStation around Kerbin. During docking to get a few recruits back to the center the Station got hit by really old Debris and exploded all the tanks, than smashed my spaceplane into the other half of the station and killed many more Kerbals.

Next on the agenda: planting flags on the graveyard south from KSC.

Damn you Kessler!

Ok to be fair: I've never played with 6.4x.. BUT you seem to be going awfully fast through your gravity turn. You might be able to save quite a bit of dV by turning a bit higher up in the atmosphere. @astropapi1? Cool looking rocket btw!

That's an FAR thing, you want to start your gravity turn basically as soon as you're moving (like real rockets), if you wait till you're higher you'll have too much momentum and won't be able to turn (without flipping & disintegrating). It's actually not going *that* fast really, that's mostly a misconfiguration with DRE I need to address, and it's just cosmetic. The rocket is only going around mach 3 or 4 at booster separation, on par with when the Shuttle drops its boosters. 6.4x puts your flight numbers much much closer to reality, LKO speed is about 5.5 km/s and if you've flown an efficient ascent you only need a small circularization burn at ApA.

Designed a transporter spaceplane to put a seven tonne payload into orbit. Failed, despite all the numbers saying it should've worked; RAPIERs switched over only going 1400 m/s, hit a stable apoapsis but had no fuel left for circularization. Wondering if I could use the Moneymaker 7 in its current configuration to launch ~that~ payload into orbit...

Ultimately got frustrated with the plane decided to launch the payload via traditional rocket, costs be damned. Launched the damn thing going the wrong direction.

Overall, a pretty irritating evening.

screenshot162.jpg

Yes, that is a pair of D-class asteroids. Total mass (including the 5 ton connector), 791.45 tons.

Captured and wrangled into equatorial orbits around Kerbin from initial inclinations of 90 degrees (or more) and brought together at an altitude of 500 km. (You can see one of the tugs at the upper right; it's since cast off.)

Once I got them close, I fired the four harpoons grappling hooks and winched them together. Took a ... few tries. :P

Now I just have to decide what to name it. Them. Whatever.