What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Bigbootie, that's a cool buggy! :cool:

Today I resumed putting my Ion ship back together in orbit. Two sections up so far, the engine block and fuel module ... 37.63 tons and 28.31 tons respectively. It took over 30 minutes though for the magnetics of the Clamp-o-tron Sr's to pull it together. :rolleyes: I may add one more fuel module, then again maybe not. Not sure how far I want to cruise around in it - or if it's even going to be capable of moving itself of its own weight lol. Next will be the science/crew section, followed and finished by the solar power module. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Built a good workhorse rocket that not too expensive, and started to build a station.

screenshot10.png

Core module on the ground

screenshot20.png

This Module almost didn't make it to orbit. had to use the long burn of the thrusters to finish the orbit. Next time I will launch with the fuel tanks empty or build a bigger rocket. Though I did put a 40 ton tug in orbit with Jeb (not shown) to help with the construction projects.

Space%2BStation.jpg

The core module is double ended with the ports, I have a nice science module and capula, and then I have the "Werks" module that consists of the power plant, storage fuel tanks and so on. Next step is used the cut down heavy launcher to put the First expedition crew on board, and also develop a resupply ship to top off the tanks. Might transfer the tug over to the station so that it can drain the fuel tanks and start to use the station as a gas station of sorts. (This is really my first station that I will be using.)

Also it right now unnamed, any ideas will be helpful.

Edited by Zedwardson
removed double post weirdness

Built my first ScanSat satellite, put it into a nearly perfect polar orbit. I found that an excellent way to keep all four solar panels going was to point the craft at Moho, which would ensure there was only a small angle to the Sun (I don't seem to be able to target the Sun directly). I'm wondering if people tend to go with battery monsters like the one I built (that thing is probably 80-90% batteries), or just accept that they'll only be able to scan on the sunlit side of the planet.

tLIfuNR.png

Built my first ScanSat satellite, put it into a nearly perfect polar orbit. I found that an excellent way to keep all four solar panels going was to point the craft at Moho, which would ensure there was only a small angle to the Sun (I don't seem to be able to target the Sun directly). I'm wondering if people tend to go with battery monsters like the one I built (that thing is probably 80-90% batteries), or just accept that they'll only be able to scan on the sunlit side of the planet.

My scanner "bus" is built out of structural batteries. .

I finally assembled my Minmus base, sent off the 4-man crew along with an exploration rover to chart out the geography of the area, then shipped a rover off to Laythe for funsies. Here's the base:

http://imgur.com/a/oYTVX

Using the new plane parts for base building, I like it!

All I am still missing, is parts for entering structures from the sides - for bigger rovers as well. Climing on top of my house/car to get in is kinda silly. :)

Spent almost the entire morning to design a 50 ton lifter for my RSS Career (ignore the somewhat bad quality, i have to many mods :rolleyes: )

lGl28Et.png

Weight on Launchpad: 6465 tons

Max Thrust: 74650 kN (tweackscaled KWRocketry Boosters)

Price-tag: 1.693 Mio Funds

Time to orbit: 10 minutes 20 seconds

Altough we failed at it, the goal actually was to keep it under 1.5 Mio Funds. It should be possible with FAR tough, which i just installed to test the possibility for an SSTO, as it increases the payload of this monster to at least 60 tons (500km orbit).

Well I went sight seeing in my longest lived rover ever went to here:

CBDA7918B6FD8AAD7508551FDC4BD7446442C455

Think you know all where that is I went. Had a few hours of rover driving last night went over 130 km. Not sure what the total was for that duration as I forgot to look and snap a pick. Heading to the Polar Crater after I get out of this certain crater. :cool:

Might be old hat to most of you (Just getting back into the game) and built myself a nice space taxi.

screenshot29.png

All is reusable except for the first stage core. all stock parts (minus MJ controller) and can carry up to six kerbals. Due to the nuclear engine it can do a ton of orbital maneuvers before depleting fuel. After the first mission I changed it power system (smaller solar cells and added two RTGs in the rear) and changed removed two unneeded parachutes.

screenshot30.png

I am also sure that the crew cabin module can be replaced by other modules to give some flexibility to the missions.

screenshot31.png

I know this might be old hat to a lot of the more experienced players, but I am quite happy with my little space taxi/mini-shuttle.

I found that an excellent way to keep all four solar panels going was to point the craft at Moho, which would ensure there was only a small angle to the Sun

As the planet moves around the Sun, this'll stop working so well. Don't worry about it, though; even if it only has power for part of an orbit, ScanSat works even on inactive vessels (unlike, say, Kethane). Go do a mission to some other planet, and by the time you return it'll have fully mapped everything.

But it's definitely possible to make a probe that can work for the full orbit, regardless of angle. Here's mine:

LFlkHR2.png

Plenty of batteries, plenty of solar panels, fits in a small cargo bay, and has 18km/s of dV. I've now got one of these around each planet and moon, plus one in low solar orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/tLIfuNR.png

Just launch 90 degrees at sunrise or sunset and you'll always have sunlight

Just launch 90 degrees at sunrise or sunset and you'll always have sunlight

Only works for a while, until Kerbin orbits around and you start having shadow to deal with. While I'm fairly certain ScanSat doesn't properly model electricity draw during timewarp/inactive time, but I don't want to exploit that (though I will assume I'd devised this miraculous "point panels directly at Sun" thing). Also, thinking about it a bit more, I'm wondering if 6.4x might be working for me, since I suspect it might have made the relative distances greater (and thus the max angle from the Sun smaller).

In any event, I am probably 70-80% through design of what I am now calling my Venturer project: a combined Duna/Ike unmanned land-and-return mission. The landers and return stage are finalized: total mass to trans-Dunar injection will be 78t. Design of the Ceres V booster is in progress: estimated mass is around 1000t, but only the uppermost stage is complete. I was reminded a couple times of the evilness of the rocket equation: I have separate Duna landing and Kerbin return heatshields (the Duna heatshield will be ejected during landing). It also lacks a Kerbin return parachute: I determined that it would be just about break-even to skip the 'chute and rendezvous with a mobile lab in orbit, and the other difficulties inherent in a return direct to Kerbin's surface made up my mind for me.

It'd be a lot more efficient with some LV-Ns, but I've made up my mind: I'm going to get my next batch of science from Duna, and that means chemical rockets only.

2lusCRh.png

Edited by Starman4308

As the planet moves around the Sun, this'll stop working so well. Don't worry about it, though; even if it only has power for part of an orbit, ScanSat works even on inactive vessels (unlike, say, Kethane). Go do a mission to some other planet, and by the time you return it'll have fully mapped everything.

But it's definitely possible to make a probe that can work for the full orbit, regardless of angle. Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/LFlkHR2.png

Plenty of batteries, plenty of solar panels, fits in a small cargo bay, and has 18km/s of dV. I've now got one of these around each planet and moon, plus one in low solar orbit.

You'll need a polar orbit to map the whole planet. Launch and head north (or south).

Sent a science turkey to space as ssto :sticktongue:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It requires inflight fuel management while trying to reach escape speed, wich is kind of tricky with no sas.

With no fuel it was uncontrollable and crashes after deorbit, after a dozen attempts, it still hasn`t managed to get bak up :(

The DasValdez challange :)

http://www.kerbalx.com/crafts/420

Edited by Kamuchi

Made my first SSTO, all stock. It is completely useless except for giving the pilot a Orbital ribbon for the cost of fuel. It is fun to fly due to the fact that to make it work I have to use a lot of features (such as pumping the surplus fuel forward before landing to counterbalance the heavy back and so on).

Now that I have done that off my checklist, I think I will go back to rockets as I find them more fun since they are quicker to orbit.

screenshot39.png

the 2nd one I launched I added two more scoops to hopefully let it burn off more fuel as I ended up low on Oxidizer, not fuel.

Well had fun going from x place at Northwest Crater to the Polar Crater on Mün which ended up giving mer a bout 277 km long trip in one stretch:

C7D01AED7F24C3A2A90B0EE93410263A751BB02B

Here is my little trip indicator of where I started and went with this second very very long lived rover. Started from East Crater worked south to the edge of it (flags hiden by letters) then went west to the Southwest Crater then north up to Northwest Crater for my first long drive which I forgot to take a snapshot of then this long drive of 277 km to the Lower right side of the Polar Crater:

F6A653AC5A9120F887E441150ACA609331255720

Tommorrow I'll be heading down towards Farside Crater then West again, if there is enough daylight, towards East Farside Crater