What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I could imagine those as having a built in lift - a door at the bottom for crew to enter - and then "lift" them into the cockpit by using the new right-click-menu-crew-mover. (Yes, the infamous RCMCM !!! :P )

Did an SRB powered plane launch. Flew it, actually managed to land it (unpowered). The landing bit was unintentional but not wholly unpleasant.

Launched another Mun lander. Had the capsule it was supposed to rendezvous with on the wrong side of Kerbin, so now I get to play ring-around-the-rosie wake-surfing the atmosphere until the stupid thing catches up. Still haven't caught up on the Kadvent Kalendar challenge yet...

Was doing trials to understand the characteristic about Planetary SSTO powerplant designs and made myself an airhog type spaceplane. It was also my first time being on planetary travel, took me alot while and wasted alot fuel to figure out how to chase Duna lol. Upon landing there i notice the speed is excessively high. Was thinking for vertical landing but rather took the challenge to land as a plane. Having in mind lesser gravity could reduce landing impact but...... there goes:

sBMj0Yq.png

jXtzLHe.png

Was doing trials to understand the characteristic about Planetary SSTO powerplant designs and made myself an airhog type spaceplane. It was also my first time being on planetary travel, took me alot while and wasted alot fuel to figure out how to chase Duna lol. Upon landing there i notice the speed is excessively high. Was thinking for vertical landing but rather took the challenge to land as a plane. Having in mind lesser gravity could reduce landing impact but...... there goes:

http://i.imgur.com/sBMj0Yq.png

http://i.imgur.com/jXtzLHe.png

yeeeeaaaaaaah... if you want to land horizontally on Duna, double your lift rating. And then you'll probably have to add some more. Also, find a nice and low patch of ground to take maximum advantage of the atmosphere. And put wheels on the wingtips to prevent the bouncing from killing you.

speaking from experience: landing horizontally on Duna is HARD. The reduced gravity really does not compensate for the thin atmosphere at ALL.

http://i.imgur.com/sBMj0Yq.png

http://i.imgur.com/jXtzLHe.png

Hehehe reminds me of my 1st Duna landing with a plane :D

juFGL43.jpg

d2ByCyZ.jpg

(about 15 quickloads ended up like that)

You can't see it in the pic, but this plane had very high lift rating, many control surfaces concealed inside the body.

It was gliding perfectly at less than 80 m/s, but i made a mistake:

landing gear was very narrow. So the bumpy terrain caused the plane to roll and break. Grip was low, so brakes weren't very effective...

Wide gear, minimized amount (for good grip), and a little vertical engine solved the problem. (although I handled a few times without the engine xD)

Edited by Overfloater

Well, I havent actually done anything in KSP yet. I'm fixing to fail some more at SSTO design and to put it on livestream. Going up in an hour at http://www.twitch.tv/capsierra

To be fair this is more of a shakedown run in preparation for my January 1 kickoff.

Edited by Captain Sierra

I have restarted my ring station project from scratch using a keyed binary docking port system to make sure everything aligns properly. Once again I must thank all you who submitted ideas in my post in the technical questions section. Anyways, here's a few screenshots, I have sent up four of the eight ring sections, plus one of the two multidirectional connection sections. Big plans are afoot!

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%205.02.25%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%205.12.58%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%205.57.44%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%206.14.13%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%206.48.11%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%207.11.22%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%207.15.42%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-12%20at%208.34.35%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-12%20at%209.01.59%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-12%20at%209.27.40%20AM.png

yeeeeaaaaaaah... if you want to land horizontally on Duna, double your lift rating. And then you'll probably have to add some more. Also, find a nice and low patch of ground to take maximum advantage of the atmosphere. And put wheels on the wingtips to prevent the bouncing from killing you.

speaking from experience: landing horizontally on Duna is HARD. The reduced gravity really does not compensate for the thin atmosphere at ALL.

Thanks i'll keep the lifts and wheels in mind, was trying to takeoff from Kerbin with least weight as possible, didn't cross my mind Duna is that hazardous to land.

Further today i've done more SSTO runs but regardless the methods i tried, in the end always lack of oxygen. Wish Squad will double or triple the amount of air-intake on those parts. Not a fan of the airhog style, seem illogical more like an exploit to me, but also impossible without it in vanilla game. :blush:

Hehehe reminds me of my 1st Duna landing with a plane :D

You can't see it in the pic, but this plane had very high lift rating, many control surfaces concealed inside the body.

It was gliding perfectly at less than 80 m/s, but i made a mistake:

landing gear was very narrow. So the bumpy terrain caused the plane to roll and break. Grip was low, so brakes weren't very effective...

Wide gear, minimized amount (for good grip), and a little vertical engine solved the problem. (although I handled a few times without the engine xD)

Not bad trying to land a fuel tanker there on your first try, i couldn't even land a shuttle size ship! Oh Duna, the fight is on!

Today (technically last night) I captured my first asteroid (class A) and brought into a stable (albeit eccentric) orbit around Kerbin.

At that point I got to thinking about a thread I saw on here, something about "would Kerbal-kind be able to survive off of what you have in space?" so I started on a large-scale Mun Kolony using OKS/MKS.

So far I've got the first mining outpost built. Took three launches (C3, Refinery+drills, Storage+solar) and provided some precision-landing practice.

Next up, the vast Mun farms, the factories, and the housing.

If I can get all this accomplished, I'll then attempt it again on another mun... probably Ike.

That is smexy! Would you be willing to share the .craft file? (Only request beyond that is to temovevthe weapons... -- I don`t have those mods!!)

Okay, I will remove the weapons, but it still will be FAR based, check the thread to get the download and to see how to unFAR it.

Edited by Uzric

I started construction on my spacestation.... Thankfully I am playing sandbox. First time using FAR and my first rocket well... Went up just fine, until I got to the gravity turn. I guess I started too early or something but rocket pinwheeled.

Did some retooling, added more SRBs so I could get up higher before doing my turn and still have enough fuel. Fortunately my tendency to overengineer my rockets paid off for once. 35km up the SRBs finally ran out of fuel (I had the mainsail going too) hit space to drop them and the sepratrons were apparently set too low and they blew up the mainsail while carrying away the SRBs. Fortunately as I said I tend to over engineer my rockets. Not only was there enough fuel in the orbital stage to finish the ascent and still get into my 200k orbit but the engine I used was way more power than I needed (skipper for just a command module and 2 labs...)

Second part of the station with the habitation modules went up just fine, until I had to set the rendezvous with the station. I had forgotten to put a battery or a generator of some sort on it and it ran out of juice waiting for the burn. Decided at that point to call it a night, will either send a rocket up with a kerbal to recharge it or just launch a new one tomorrow.

After what feels like roughly two years of playing KSP, I finally hit my big personal goal as an intermediate KSP player and landed safely on Laythe!

8wvaW4u.png

Now it's just a question of getting Bill and Jeb home! My lander almost made orbit when tested on Kerbin, but I've never performed a Laythe liftoff before, so I have no idea if this will work, or if I have the fuel to pull it off!

EDIT: Wow, that wasn't as bad as I expected it would be!

6f6kaaX.png

Edited by EndOfTheEarth