What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Four KAS struts weren't enough to keep the drop tanks on my Tylo ship under control, nowhere near. The two heavier tanks (with the return ships attached) broke their struts under 1/3 throttle.

This thing is just tiring me out now. I don't like quitting but doing anything with it is just time-consuming and painful.

Continued to be tortured by this. I've added more struts, bringing it to 4 or 5 per drop tank, but they still just seem so weak. 1/3rd throttle they barely hold, and even then some struts break. 2/3rds and all the struts fail.

I think I'm just going to have to try and do my burn being considerably underpowered. Which won't be great considering it gets .5 TWR at full throttle.

And I have a headache which may be from spending the day staring at 6 fps.

-Made a flag, http://imgur.com/Gwv2bSE , hope you like it,

-Launched an unmanned vessel (or probe, I'm not sure:)) to the mun attempting to land on it. It has enough room for 7 kerbs, but I didn't want to risk anybody because I'm a good person:wink:. It has four nuclear engines with (I think and hope) enough fuel to land and return safe to Kerbin. It looks nice, has a 5m parts launcher. I didn't time warp to take some pics.

Edited by p14082003

Played around with Cannardless SSTO planes. Harder to do in stock then I thought. First Successful one:

4197CEF276DE1080E475616A34B2888A07CF6A9A

Then I tried to make one like this but found out that the control surfaces just dont like the v shaped wings. They did the opposite of what I needed them to do. So I tried it without. Was able to life off. But, not gain enough altitude:

F45275D29FC897D055E08776EAF89DB6BAD010E7

Then tried the twin turbo jet engine approch with a lot less air intakes. I still prefur a lot of them then so few. But, at least I was able to get an orbit:

B04B17AE0C82F5D4ECFD3F933BF9674C10270A2E

Also wish that there was just a liquid fuel version twin attachment node as that could have allowed me more time to burn the jets longer.

Edited by Aragosnat

Not today, but still this week, which I hope is enough to get off on a technicality :P This is the second time I landed on Moho and the first time returning to Kerbin from there:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Working on a Jool-5 challenge ship that will take 38 Kerbals down to the surface of each moon. Tylo is a bit of a challenge.

38 seems like an...oddly specific number. Any particular reason to it? :)

I paused my development of the Churchill ELV series in order to take advantage of a launch window to Moho. Kerbal construction time was against me but with some sneaky parts reuse, I got my ship in orbit with hours to spare:

nEmGM2V.png

The upper stage is not in line with current development, and was exclusively cobbled together out of spit and prayers for this flight. The experimental IPTV will break orbit, and slingshot around Eve into a tight Moho encounter. from there, the lander will detach and proceed to the surface, whilst the transfer stage will commence station-keeping routine in orbit and act as a relay for the lander. It also has a secondary mission; mapping the surface for future use.

The Discovery 1 ship is almost ready!

Looks nice. I just hope that the synchotrons on the sides workout ok. They are quite heavy after all. That's why my last ship of this kind was launched in one go. Was a challenge for me , but it really helps rigidity.

Finally landed something on the Mun! I used my 5t lifter rocket to send a sat/lander pack to the Mun. It wasn't that hard, to be honest. Good practice for an eventual manned mission which is finally coming up on the horizon.

7WEYV4a.png

06y4q4Y.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also launched a retrofited version of my old CSM to see how many days they could spend in orbit. As it turns out, the converters gave it about 20 days of life support until I ended up running out of food, so it's good enough for routine flights to and from the Mun. The problem, as you might see, is the docking port.

There's no way I'm pushing anything above 1t using that thing, especially after the disaster that almost ended the lives of two kerbals. What do you guys think I should do with it? It's a nice design and I don't want to trash it.

ne0SPRp.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, and I did some tests with FAR too! As you can see, I wanted to see at what point the mass of a nosecone overweights its pointyness or whatever it's called. First one to guess which one got higher gets a cookie!

3iRpY1m.png

I installed the SpaceY part pack and started designing more reasonable rockets for the 6.4x Kerbol System.

How did you solve the problem of Life Support? I had to abort a mission while in Mun Orbit due to running out of food and water. :(

Edited by astropapi1

I installed Krag's Planet Factory pack. It's wonderful, but I had to ditch B9 to make room in my RAM for it, and it still occasionally totally freezes up my computer, but it's certainly well worth it.

Today, I went to Thud. If you haven't seen Scott Manley's video about the Sentar expansion (or heard about it from somewhere else), Thud is essentially Hell Tylo. It also lacks an atmosphere, but instead of having slightly less gravity than Kerbin, Thud has 3.14 times Kerbin's gravity! I decided that, since I've been building such ridiculous ships with antimatter propulsion lately, that Thud posed enough of a challenge to be a good destination. I was not disappointed.

At first, I was planning on doing this mission like most of my others: a large transit vehicle, a lander docked nose-to-nose with it, and the whole business flying out to the destination before undocking and the lander descending.

I launched the GGSS Rising Spring, one of my Thalassa-class torchships. It's a true monster of a vessel with over 250 km/s of unloaded delta-V thanks to its plasma-core antimatter drive.

7BdXHrj.png

AGjgZbD.jpg

Then I launched my lander, the infamous and loathsome GGLS Mjolnir, Descender of the End Times, the Lander To End All Landers. It made it up without a launch vehicle. The torchship could technically have done that too, but I was bored and felt like making a big rocket for it. The lander was flown by intrepid pilot and physicist Chaduki Kerman, who is my first female kerbalnaut since installing Texture Replacer, and co-pilot Herberry Kerman, a plucky planetary scientist rather new to the space program.

The Mjolnir lander uses the same propulsion system as the Rising Spring, but carries much less fuel and payload. While the torchship has 250 km/s of delta-V and accelerates at just under 1.5 Gs, the lander has under 100 km/s and accelerates at nearly 5 Gs.

RSRO94I.png

Unfortunately, trouble happened: I'd forgotten to put forward-backward translational RCS on both ships! I tried my best to dock them with help from MechJeb, but eventually MJ gave up and started pointing the ships at random angles whenever I brought them near each other. Eventually I disabled MJ completely and tried manual docking, but before I finished, it occurred to me that the lander probably could just make it to Sentar on its own without any transit vehicle to dock to. Plasma-core antimatter propulsion is... maybe a little overpowered. the antimatter usage does check out mathematically, at least.

With that, I started burning for Sentar with the help of MJ's transfer computer.

Mjo9917.png

The Rising Spring decided to follow, just for the science. If the Mjolnir struck the surface in a multi-megaton antimatter fireball, someone had to be there to figure out why, right? It lit its torch and tossed itself out onto a slightly faster transfer trajectory than the Mjolnir, allowing it to arrive at Sentar about 170 days ahead of the lander and give itself time to get into position.

H7rOo9d.png

A little over two and a half years later, the Mjolnir arrived in orbit around Thud, joining the already-present Rising Spring. Wasting no time, Chaduki fired off a few short, intense burns to line up the lander's trajectory with a nice flat crater bottom on Thud's surface, and the ship started falling towards the massive moon.

Fuz9BZA.png

VnBHqfn.png

It soon became clear just how incredibly strong Thud's gravity really was. The lander did most of its descent at nearly a kilometer per second, almost two at one point. Fortunately, the engine was still stronger, and Chaduki managed to kill the horizontal velocity and get into a nice vertical descent over the crater bottom.

Ecpvbn9.png

JP2WpZy.png

Landing! Chaduki was the first out of the ship as it touched down, and struggled her way down the ladder in the three-G gravity. The Rising Spring captured the historic planting of the flag on telescope video, and a great cheer went up Kerbin-wide as the transmission was received back in the inner solar system.

NElwS6W.png

hIDFdJ0.png

Nl989DN.png

As soon as Chaduki declared the surface safe, Herberry hurried out to join her. He had a little trouble with the ladder (protip: DO NOT climb down ladders headfirst in 3 gravities!), but made it out alive, and enjoyed amazing views of the Sentar system and the rest of the solar system from Thud's slowly-revolving surface.

ruHNJA4.png

XZB5FJT.png

HW7UPaz.png

iH6anrs.png

XKKkf7X.png

And with that, the sun set on Thud, and Chaduki and Herberry became cultural icons of persistence and accomplishment across the whole solar system.

Now they have a three-year trip home ahead of them, but they can at least make it in triumph and, more importantly, alive.

Started a new game with FAR, Deadly Re-entry and B9. Done a couple of science flyby's of the Mun but no landing yet. I've now managed to research enough parts to have a play with planes, and amazingly the first plane I built flies like a dream so long as I keep it subsonic (otherwise the wings fall off)). The main problem is trying to land the thing, I can't believe how slippery FAR aircraft are. I added spoilers after the first version couldn't loose enough speed to land even if I came in low over the hills at under 80m/s. Braking is a bit tricky with a tail dragger too, I moved the wheels are far forward as I could on the second version.

screenshot31.png

screenshot32.png