What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

An auspicious day on my 6.4x station as I try to decide whether to upgrade my save to .90 or just start over like I usually do. Anyways, started the day by blowing up the launchpad (again) before I actually *did* anything. ;.;

This Colossus is fitted with an experimental high-thrust upper stage/tug, and under that huge (AND HEAVY!) fairing, the best part of building a new station...

M6MhMyl.png

Rather involved staging....

9xv6GnK.png

This new upperstage is slightly wider and packs significantly more thrust thanks to four NovaPunch engines. In the center is a (very warm) docking port.

QRbPX7J.png

Had a very challenging time with this, first my fuel ran after making orbit. Had to do most of the rendezvous with only RCS. Was running on fumes getting the stack docked to the apex port, then actually DID run out of monoprop! The magnets managed to grab it and wobble it into position. Then a battery dies.

iLdoEa8.png

Then speaking of wobbling, the wobbly tug detaches and wobbles its way to the top of the stack to pickup a reaction wheel package and docking adapter for the smaller ports...

zPshiFB.png

The (still wobbly) tug proceeds down to pick up the first truss segment, and a monoprop tank somewhere starts leaking. Have to chase it down later. Everything is packed very tight here. The truss decouples, nothing explodes, and it slowly backs away...

XkdzDxI.png

With a load on the front and extra RCS ports, the tug handles much better. It's a slow, delicate maneuver over to Cyclotron #2. Have to trust the docking indicator and not my eyes, the alignment must be exact and it's all sideways.

j0ATV5O.png

..but eventually locks into place.

hod4izZ.png

The tug returns for truss 2. This time it gets hung up on something and has to be gingerly wobbled free. It's the same tricky maneuver but the station is passing over the terminator. Have to hurry before I loose the light.

OEEl2k5.png

Was in such a rush didn't even remember to screenie. Half an hour later, as the station moves back into sunlight, the tug heads to the top of the new mast...

XprSAw1.png

This one was even trickier. Realized too late I neglected to put thrusters at the base. Now the only RCS ports are at the back of the wobbly tug. It's a long, slow, careful maneuver to nudge the mast over to Hub3

d6VjAM1.png

Success!

DXbChxG.png

Almost time for the good stuff... First, the transfer tug gets a glug of fuel and is detached. Since it's out of monprop, the STATION backs away instead... and the crew quickly decides to never ever do that again to the massive amount of wobbling that ensues.

ziEX35l.png

They remember at this point the tug is still on the mast and the docking adapter needs to be disposed of. It quickly chases down the transfer stage, deposits the now-unnecessary adapter, and takes back some of that fuel cuz it had way too much.

cyKeCNd.png

The tug returns to its place at the apex port and the transfer stage is sent on its merry way to reentry...

uJjsAmP.png

And finally, the big reveal, the most space-y bit of any proper space station...

SqmAqD2.png

SOLAR PANELS! With power to actually run the cyclotrons now, the station can soon progress to doing some real science.

Atop the new mast are cosmetically important really long antennas, as well as multiple hull cam mounts for some upcoming experiments.

naZaVEi.png

whooo 0.90!!!

I've just had a most entertaining hour in 0.90 career (moderate setting), totally Kerbal. Made it into space on first launch (just straight up and down again), orbit on 2nd launch and as a bonus managed to rescue another Kerbal by making him cling onto Jebs craft on the way down!

First mission (to complete the launch a craft and reach 5km contract) was a basic zoom straight up, made it into space, so that was a weeny bit overkill.

Only then did I realize I couldn't go EVA yet! (I like that limitation, kinda realistic).

u0X5wGsm.jpgVOyiH7cm.jpg

2nd mission I picked up the reach orbit contract and one for visiting somewhere (Dinkelstein's Void...erm..pardon?).

hIhHlMEm.jpgXKNkjhNm.jpg

Reached orbit, but still couldn't go EVA so I left Jeb in orbit and went back to KSC to see if I could afford that unlock. I couldn't, but I was able to pick up another contract. The most profitable one was a rescue mission. hmmm, how can I rescue this guy with such a limiting launch pad? A two man craft is gonna be tricky and I don't have probe cores yet.....I know, he can hang on to Jebs craft!

So I went back to Jeb to set up a standard rendezvous and.....no maneuver nodes yet!!! I was actually really pleased by this!

It's been a long time since we all had to do rendezvous by eye and it felt a bit like the older KSP (pre 0.16-17, whenever nodes got added). I'm weird I know, but I get a sick sort of satisfaction out of doing by-eye-rendezvous. I used to be really good at it.

xeyKUsml.jpg

It took quiet a few orbits as I was being cautions as fuel was low, but eventually I caught up with him and he hung on for dear life as I made a very shallow descent. I really wasn't sure if it would work, would he be my first victim?

I kept having to walk him down the ladder to keep him in one place but the little trooper manged to hang on. As we reached the ground he was able to deploy the parachute from outside, so I didn't need to switch away from him (that prob would have been fatal).

f3QrXvwm.jpgnrmN8Ktm.jpg?1cignbzAm.jpg?1

It wasn't exactly a text book landing, engine got destroyed and he face-planted quite spectacularly, but both him and Jeb where back home.

The funny thing was, he was back on the ground without any of the phases of the contract to rescue him being ticked. I wasn't sure how the game would react if I just recovered him like that, so I made Jeb trade places so the "get him on board" phase was ticked and then recovered the craft with him in it, then picked Jeb up from the tracking station later.

CP0lUKWl.jpg?1

(I just slapped a brighten filter on those last few images, not nice, but you can see)

So a totally Kerbal mission and really fun. Squad has really delivered (again)!!

I did nothing in KSP. With the new update, it's time to sit and wait for mods to update...

wheeee...

What I did today was get my mods ready... now waiting for KerbalStuff and Curse to both allow 0.90 as selections for supported versions... Heh. :)

EDIT: Maybe I'll just upload them anyway. I'm tired of waiting.

Edited by NecroBones

I gave the new gizmos, especially the offset, a go and made a DC-3.

15846524779_084120e4ba_h.jpg

15846521149_fb37bdc975_h.jpg

Flies OK, but not for long, since it needs the rockets to have enough power to stay in the air.

There's an old joke that the DC-3 is "a collection of parts flying in loose formation". Hence the big gaps I put in.

Saw 0.90 came out and didn't give a rat's fart. Maybe in a few days when the mods have been updated...

Meantime I figured out what I needed to do to make a Mun-to-Minmus transfer, then cursed as I realized I hadn't updated Precise Node for two versions. It's still on the old Kerbal timekeeping system...

Also flew a number of rehearsal runs with the Small Fries Mk-II; I can get the payload consistently into orbit now. Flying the correct course, now there's an issue still.

Like perhaps hundreds out there, who right after updating their KSP...went to Sandbox, and built a shuttle clone...

Me too. No, it doesn't actually fly yet... lol :)

(that is, once the SRBs burn out, I don't have any stability since I don't have the engines aligned correctly, but that's enough for tonight).

KSP%202014-12-16%2000-05-39-18.jpg

KSP%202014-12-16%2000-06-23-89.jpg

KSP%202014-12-16%2000-06-27-66.jpg

Hmmm.... looks like I will update tomorrow... But! Today I`ve been screwing around with trying to build an SSTO and powered return vehicle... with little success.

Edit: Glad to see the shuttle kept alive... I have thought it has been a mistake to get rid of it instead of updating it-- I know the reasons behind the decision, but I cannot help the way I feel.

Edited by Fizwalker

So far I only deleted the mods in my steam install and am currently redownloading anything stock I deleted along the way( had no nerve to go through the sample ship folders one file at the time). Looking forward to .90,so Iwill try to play stock for a while ( or at least stock+FAR soon, but not other mods for now).

Edit: Now I went and played a bit. I like the limitations the new building system gives you. And the XP system as well, although it could be made clearer how to get it ( just a small addition to the tool tip of a kerbal would do it).

And I love the new additions for the editor. Sure, there were mods for part sorting and symetry mode switching before, but having those things stock is great, and so are the new placement tools. I didn't abouse them functionally yet (also there probably is a lot of potential there ;) ), but they make my rockets look so much nicer.

Edited by Theoderich

-snip snip-

Keep us posted. I would also say, don't give up the ship yet (no pun intended). It'd be a shame to loose all that work. See if maybe you can reconfigure it with the engines in the FRONT. I once sent 900 tons of SS parts to Moho that way (did not end well, docking ports all bugged). If you've got the engies PULLING instead of PUSHING, you usually won't have wobble problems. Scott Manley did a thing on going "space train" like that. Whether you roleplay about the possible unpleasantness of irradiating your Kerbals is entirely up to you.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated. Unfortunately, I've already packed that mothership inside the Kraken's Offering Container, and sent it towards Him, as a proof of my faith. It must've been eaten by now.

But I'll either rebuild it on .90 or at my saved copy of .25, and see how things go. The engines on the front are a great idea, and RPing is definitely always included for me. So, I'd better start taking Kerbonauts' signatures, resigning any of my responsibilities in case of radiation. :cool:

I made a video!

http://youtu.be/4U9NMum3AxA

Quick (HOURS!!!!) attempt at doing time lapse. This has potential.

That's NICE! Really well done. But I got two questions, if I may:

Did you set an autopilot pointing always prograde?

What's that UFO at the very end? Is that an asteroid?

Keep up the great work!

-Edit-

I just noticed the second quote was you again, CatastrophicFailure. Woo.

Edited by Kowgan

Today I sent my first spaceplane to the Jool system to make a Laythe landing. Things were going very well, I had just topped off my plane, and I had time to grab this screenshot on the way in.

screenshot26.png

Then things fell apart, pretty much. I'm still running a stock game, so re-entry was fine, but when I tried to restart my RAPIER, I couldn't - right-clicking on the RAPIER did nothing, so I had no way to make it to land. I wound up ditching in the ocean, and breaking off the wings, engine, and nosecone. And apparently you shouldn't get a PB-NUK wet, or your batteries, because I didn't have enough charge to transmit any of my science, so to finish the "Explore Laythe" contract, I'm going to have to go there again. And poor Meatball (Mitbal) has a heck of a swim if he wants to get to dry land.

Do RAPIERS not work on Laythe?

I did nothing in KSP. With the new update, it's time to sit and wait for mods to update...

That's not a reason to do nothing in KSP 0.90; that's a reason to do EVERYTHING in 0.25. For instance, I spent the evening finishing my 0.25 Mun base, Mun Unit Zappa. Well, it's a "base" in a loose sense of the word:

70OpYtL.png

Yep, I finally got around to landing my megarover. The skyhook tug has returned to orbit, leaving behind the big rover; the small one in front (the 36-ton Iguana rover) was already on-planet in the next crater over, visiting an anomaly, and drove the 16km to meet its big brother once it was down.

While it can hold seven, the Zappa only arrived with a 3-man crew: Doodbur (driver) in the front cupola, Billy-Bobdrin (standing next to the flag in front) and Luzor (sitting in the external seat in front of the main greenhouse). Lenemy is driving the Iguana (which holds 2), but he'll be leaving soon. Both can operate unmanned (although the science lab on the Zappa needs two men), but there's the principle of the thing; in 0.90, the 3-man crew would include one of each specialty, so I wanted to try that out.

That picture was taken while it was still refueling from the trip to Mun (the skyhook drew fuel from the rover itself), since the sun was setting and I wanted the light for the picture. The refueled rover masses 580 tons, but that's with the Kethane tanks only 20% full since it depleted the entire low-density Kethane deposit region it had landed on, so it'd be another ~200 tons when completely topped off. Since I'll be moving to 0.90 fairly soon I won't bother driving it to the next deposit, but it's got cruise control and can maintain 12m/s without anything breaking as long as I don't hit a crater wall.

Thing is, all of my designs are like this. I don't assemble stations in orbit, I just launch complete stations on giant boosters. I don't assemble planetary bases, I just deliver big rovers that have all the features I'd want in a base. So when 0.90 came out, and I knew I wouldn't just transfer my career over, I figured, why bother saving those millions of credits when I could launch big stuff quickly?

Next up: launching one of these to Duna, with parachutes!

Edited by Spatzimaus

This morning I'm trying to figure out what is this bug on Deadly Reentry- I have lost already around 20 Kerbals to it… When my Kerbals sit in a External Command seat they heat up in about 5 minutes to approximately 600C then start burning, heat up to about 900C, then *POOF* ;.; When the Kerbal EVA's he stops heating up, but once he sits back in the seat he starts heating up again. The weirdest part was that it was on Kerbin and all the equipment, even the External Command seat, is between 18 and 20C. :huh:

-EDIT- Sorry no pics-

Having finally unlocked the full tech tree on my 0.25 save I designed a new launcher for hauling stuff into LKO and specifically to my station. Nothing exceptional, it can lift up to 30 tons to the station (150km altitude) without issues, and could probably lift 40 tons into a 75km orbit. What's nice about it is it doesn't have too many parts and stages, making it convenient to use. I use it to bring the second power module up to my station here (procedural fairings, realchutes):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It was mostly to practise direct launch-to-station rendezvous. Oh, and I also put a rover on Duna, but I landed it kilometres away from where I wanted to and accidentally flipped it over while roving, so, big fail :cool:

Speaking of 0.25 Career (almost fully unlocked, I only have about 7 more things to unlock) and Duna, I sent up a Sun station and got under Duna's influence, I didn't have enough fuel to orbit, but I got close enough to see both Duna and Ike with the naked eye. (SORRY NO PICS)