What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I... I did it. I finally had a successful Mun landing. I... I can't believe it. I'm not sure if the tears I have are from the joy or from me being sick, but I'm pretty sure it's from me landing successfully.

BWwRL46.png

EDIT: Successfully returned the pod home too. Overall, the mission was a resounding success!

Edited by catman1776

Today I had to do my favorite thing in all the world: Extreme EVA. I lied before, that is my least favorite thing. Worse, it was in my new career save, before I had got the patched conics upgrade. Jeb had to get home on his wits and a few wisps of EVA fuel, and successfully headbutt a planet from 12000 km. Despite it all, he survived, and it was real lucky he shoved all the science in his pocket before he jumped ship, cause that thing was going nowhere.

Redesigned my failed attempt at a keliosyncronous probe for a contract (with a 140 weight ton limit due to a level 2 launchpad and limited to the level 1 R&D center) to be a manned lander. According to the Delta-V charts, It should possibly be able to do a Dres return, and possibly even an Eloo return with a perfect launch window.

Though given that I almost have enough to upgrade my weight limit, I probably wont take the risk with taking it to Eloo in its current state.

Edited by alphamone

did a ike mission with a orbital station and a lander, decided after the aereobrake in duna that I could also land there with the spare fuel from the station, so took a trip onto the red planed, back to the station to refuel and preparing to land on ike.

Coming in at much too high speed, instead of hitting f9 hit f5---->kaboom

hold f9--->kaboom

hold f9--->kaboom

unvilling to lose jeb, bob, 2 hours of science done at duna, the whole lander and my temper, I downloaded hyperedit.... I'm ashamed now :-(

bob and jeb made it back in one piece thanks to some "gravitational singularity" tho :-)

Meanwhile, back on home turf, I inaugurated the Kal-Mac car ferry service to Kerbin City

QPTTJjE.jpg

Mainly so I could drop of a prototype Formula K buggy and do some urbex.

I7PqtZy.jpg

To all those who have built K.C., I am amazed. Incredible team effort (I haven't enough rep to say how gobsmacked I am!)

For the 2nd time in as many missions, I forgot to bring an antenna on an "establish a base" mission.

So for the 2nd time in as many missions, I'm sending up a little docking-port-sandwich looking thing with an antenna on it, to attach to the docking port that's already there but still have a docking port so the base counts.

I've been grinding contracts for funds... Mainly part tests, but also another rescue mission without maneuver nodes... The first attempt of the rescue failed, because I didn't pack enough batteries and haven't unlocked solar panels yet, so the (luckily very cheap) unmanned rescue ship is now stuck in LKO. The second attempt launched with several batteries more, and was a full success. This time I was also smart enough to harvest some EVA reports while the to be rescued Kerbal was still outside the capsule but already on the ladder, circumventing the limitation that I cannot send Kerbals on EVA yet.

I've upgraded the Mission Control building, since there have been two profit yielding contracts available, which I wanted to keep for later (until I get the "Explore Minmus" contract, as they go well together), but with only two slots for active contracts that wouldn't have been possible. So, I have to start saving again for the upgrades of the Astronaut Complex and the VAB... Maybe if I manage to harvest enough science to unlock solar panels I might be able to start the first unmanned and non-returning Mün missions soon... I'll also try to build a manned returning lander, but within the 30 parts limit that might be challenging, and probably I won't be able to earn much science... Also, I'll have to overengineer the lander, as I'm not really good at landing.

Still in 0.25 pending mod updates (been hunting for mods that have been updated or confirmed working in 0.90; still have few I haven't checked yet). Continued my shenanigans with the Kerbal Kadvent calendar, mainly getting a crew of six from Munar orbit to orbit of Minmus to rendezvous with their lander there. I was also sending a small rock-catcher probe to rendezvous with its target while it was still outside Kerbin's SOI; I'm not confident of my chances of success on that one.

Well, I just 3 Kerbals into orbit (with some difficulty) and tired to fly one of the stock aircrafts around but that was not very successful. I think fyling aircrafts in KSP is one of the hardest things you can do, at least if you have to use a keyboard that is.

I did some contracts, and upgraded my astronaut complex to level 2. My wish was to upgrade the VAB, because making a low-tech craft capable of landing and returning from the Mun with less than 30 parts is a pain. But because the price was way too high, I decided to use it on something else.

Last night i narrowly avoided bankrupting my space program. I upgraded my VAB to level 2 and had 18k funds left. I managed to build a rocket to perform two fairly lucrative parts tests and saved the program. This also allowed me to get the basic jet parts. I launched my first jet using 4 SRBs, did two surveys and then unlocked landing gear. I am well on my way now.

Got my Tylo ship on course for Jool :)

15433570303_7118b66d00_h.jpg

Tweaking the thrust limiters was a big help in keeping the drop tanks (which had their own engines) in order, and as the parts dropped away things started feeling better.

Now, I don't have enough fuel for a powered capture into the Joolian system, and I'm using DRE so I can't aerocapture. Means I'll need to work out a gravicapture. Fun times. I may need PreciseNode for this, not actually had it on the save so far.

NewMicrosoftPowerPointPresentation_zps4212ab6f.png

The first night I played 0.90 for an hour or two I left frustrated - I couldn't even make it to orbit with an 18 ton limit! To make matters worse I had already accepted the Orbit contract because, you know, getting to orbit it easy! The next night I gave it another go and, what do you know, after unlocking the medium sized solid rocket boosters I was able to build a little ship that orbits!

It's frustrating that in 0.90 some of the new "features" are just limitations from what we're used to - SAS, EVA, Buildings... But I've been playing KSP for several years such that I remember my first orbit as burning up or down, forward and backwards to get the horizontal velocity needle to stay at zero and waiting however many minutes the orbital period was because there was no time warp. Last night I was nearly as proud as making it to orbit as I was that first time; I see what you did there Squad, well played.

I put two satellites, the Kerbosat 1 and the Kerbosat 2, in orbit to fulfill contracts. Quite a bit harder than I thought it would be without maneuver nodes and using an SAS-less Stayputnik core. But it's pretty cool that satellites and stations have purposes now - contracts to return science from orbit are as easy as push buton, receive funds.

I also fired up my pre .9 save and got like 300 brand-new science from my lonely little Eve probe, which has been beeping and booping in orbit over a biome-less planet for months, waiting. Going to have to blow the dust off the Duna Explorer and send the boys back there for another round of landings, too.

I launched Jeb on a joint Mun - Minmus mission. The plan was to refuel at my Mun station that I was contracted to build. Jeb would then rendezvous with the station again to hitch a ride back to Kerbin with some other kerbals because his pod didn't have a parachute.

So I launch, and 50km up I experience a rapid unplanned disassembly. The whole rocket exploded but the lander survived. So I landed Jeb with the lander engine.

OuQykH5.png

Jeb landed successfully, I fixed the problem, and Jeb accomplished his mission. :)

Made this stock little plane that can land with the help of the chute:

04DC79C90601C9C1534B38FB2973668B67F1C9F5

Also for anyone wanting to know the perma contracts (don't expire) for Kerbin.. I believe I have found them all, well they are just altitudes:

A9B40BDA17A580125D3AA52BC90D47FB58E7F73B

Good to know it pays not to reach orbit as fast as you can.

Bob got on the roof the the lvl 1 VAB and yes I was trying:

7C15DF322F1C3B39C5DD1B1B674145A54E9D62F8

And some funky effects when you off-set you MK1 pods:

02E859568CE29DB48A6A789EC417D19FC56B2495