What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just proved that a Mun - Minmus - Kerbin mapping mission with a single probe is possible - 2 km/s dV onboard the probe, mono:

1. Get to Mun as usual

2. On entering SOI change the inclination as well as periapsis ASAP

3. Circularize

4. Plan a transfer to Minmus (used MechJeb, but well, this is a daunting task). Got 5 days from circularization until leaving again.

5. After leaving Mun SOI refine closest approach to Minmus (well, MechJeb again, but it's also a hard task)

6. Upon entering Minmus SOI do the same thing you did on Mun.

7. After scanning finishes plan to return to Kerbin.

8. After leaving Minmus SOI change the inclination and then set up an aerobrake. Only used one aerobrake, 32 km Pe results in ~135 km Ap.

9. After aerobrake raise periapsis to the desired scanning altitude

10. Circularize. Left with 1/4 of the allocated fuel (plan to use this for landing on kerbin again...)

Planning to do the same for Duna and Eve. Have anyone done those (ie. Ike and Duna in a single probe, or Eve and Gilly in a single go) ? Or maybe a Jool moons grand scan ?

0.24.2: Still trying to finish my Jool-6 mission.

• Main Crew Module: Worked on various design studies today (second-biggest project after 0.90 updates). I'm still not satisfied enough to post pictures, but I managed to trim about 50 tons of mass while adding additional science gear (not that my ridiculously oversized and overpowered interplanetary tug will care).
  • Lander: Done, and posted earlier in this thread
  • Laythe lander: Haven't even entered the design phase. I can't use my usual technique for vacuum landers (KSPI reactor + spam the heck out of Near-Future Propulsion thrusters), so I may need to dig out some of my prehistoric multi-stage designs.
  • Lander handler: Built but not tested. No pictures (it's just a KOSMOS TKS with additional RCS tanks, arm-mounted RCS thrusters, and a 2.5m docking port where the capsule decoupler should be)
  • Interplanetary Tug: Done, tested (via HyperEdit), and uploaded to KerbalX several months ago; would take several decades to build with my current Extraplanetary LaunchPads shipyard, so I'm working on other stuff while it builds a bigger shipyard…
  • Jool balloon probe: Done, tested, just need to find a place on the MCM to mount it.

0.25.0: Decided to skip straight to 0.90; deleted my 0.25 prefix to free some disk space.

0.90.0:

• Started updating mods for 0.90
  • Launched a few of RoverDude's new sounding rockets in career mode
  • Experimented with the new KOSMOS nuclear-thermal engines. After seeing the dual-mode LANTR, decided to port the Jool-6 project to 0.90 (if I ever bother to fix Klockheed Martian Special Parts, which most of the mission's modules depend on).

Beta is great, just made a STTO space plane, and worked a treat! The new aircraft parts make is a joy (and are set late enough in the tech tree to I assume, not make it OP for career).

[edit]

And made a "shuttle" type payload launcher. But who needs wings to land?

notshutle.jpg

Edited by Technical Ben

I launched a base to Mun to fulfill a contract, and only when I landed it there did I realize I forgot the antenna.

So I sent a probe with an antenna and a docking port (2 of them actually) and landed it on top of the base's docking port.

Surface docking is pretty darned tricky. Nice job!

Still in 0.25 for now; I've got seven mods that still haven't been confirmed as working in 0.90 yet. Still catching up on challenges for the Kadvent Kalendar; last night I sent a crew of six from Mun to Minmus, rendezvoused with their lander, landed on the surface of Minmus, got Jeb out for some publicity, got them back to their capsule and sent them home. In between doing this I made a final rendezvous and capture of a Class B asteroid outside of Kerbin's SOI and put it on a 45,000 meter periapsis, averting a Kerbin collision - unfortunately the specific challenge was to bring the periapsis to 100k, not to put it in a 100k orbit like I'd thought, or I would've had that done for the Kalendar last night as well. Good news is that all I need to do to finish up that challenge is just give the engines a little puff, something that can easily be done first thing tonight.

Then it's on to Duna.

After over an hour flying around the continent visiting a variety of sites for a mission, including a landing at night in unknown terrain, Bill and Jeb's Excelent Adventure makes it back to the runway with 12 units of fuel to spare.

UFIsQShl.jpg

I'm loving the new airplane-centered missions.

Trying to figure out which parts to buy based on their potential value... having to design everything under tight constraints. And then being rewarded by a 99% cost return when the plane makes it back home... Planes are useful now! SO useful.

GwYOL7w.png

Bt7sxFL.png

Edited by PTNLemay

Moar 3D modelling! The I-beam I made earlier was just for messing around; I didn't actually make it follow any kind of size convention. I made the first 2 parts of the Wooden Girder Part System.

The girder might be changed slightly later, though, as it's length is a little weird. I also did some tests, it breaks a LOT easier than normal girders, when rockets are applied to them to add torque. The textures are a little weird (the thumbnail in the parts list makes it look like it's made out of gold for some reason), so those are absolutely subject to change. (i'm not very happy with the way the it looks like when the adapter connects to the girder, but at least it works)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

All opinions and constructive criticism welcome! :D

I wanted to build a probe that I can send to the Mun but ended up just in Kerbin orbit instead, so I decided to launch the Ion powered probe that is stock and build a very complex rocket, but something did not go right with the staging and when I treid to get into a high kerbin orbit to decide what to do next, I overshot and now the probe left Kerbin and is somewhere between Minmus and Duna. I have no clue what to do next.

Edited by Lt.Havoc

The last few days in Blender/Unity has resulted in a combined RCS/OMS monopropellant engine, and a set of (rigid and delicate) landing legs for 5m stacks. And... mode-swtiching for the 9-way engine cluster, so that the SpaceX style of landing on just the center engine is possible. Whew, lots of things progressing. :)

KSP%202014-12-19%2016-13-30-30.jpg

screenshot42.jpg

screenshot43.jpg

I'm currently sat trying to figure out why RPM is working for some people but not me and simultaneously I'm trying to figure out what is spamming the debug log with a 'GUIContent is null. Use GUIContent.none" message.

So basically, no going to space for me just yet.

Surface docking is pretty darned tricky. Nice job!

Yes, I had 1000 dV when I landed next to the base and burned over half of it slowly bobbing up and down (stupid key-based throttle system) while trying to use the WASD keys to keep my ship going over the base.

Then I landed again, exited the game, installed the Vertical Velocity Control mod, and used the remaining 400 or so dV to actually do the docking :D

Just had a quick go at spin-stabilised satellite deployment. Basically stick the SAS-less satellite on top of a Kerballed pod (or any SAS-equipped vessel). Spin the ship up then decouple the satellite and fire its engine. It seemed to fly true enough for a basic Mun flybty.